PDA

View Full Version : Power Chord Question...

Metallica-Fan
02-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Ok...

|-
|------------
|-4-4-------
|-4-4-------
|-2-2-------
|------------

How do people not hit the bottom e? I put my middle finger over it to mute it... Anyone else do the same?

|-
|-------
|-4-4----
|-4-4----
|-2-2----
|-x-x---

Bizarro
02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
I also mute with my index finger. Just a little bit a skin touches the low E string and that's enough to cut the noise down.

wild_child
02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
i sorta touch it from below with my forefinger while i'm fretting whatever note on the a-string, if you get me.

szulc
02-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Just don't hit it when you pick!
Actually if I am concered about this I will use my left hand thumb.

Bizarro
02-09-2004, 10:33 PM
I like fool-proof methods! When I'm jumping around like an idiot my accuracy gets really bad :D

Danster
02-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Metallica-Fan
How do people not hit the bottom e? I put my middle finger over it to mute it... That seems like an unnecessarily tough way to do it when all you gotta do is move your index finger a little smidgen more toward the ceiling.

wild_child
02-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Bizarro
I like fool-proof methods! When I'm jumping around like an idiot my accuracy gets really bad :D

heh, yeah, when it comes to powerchord riffs, you just gotta let go a little :D so i guess its important to be sure you got that unwanted E covered.

talking of powerchords, i always used to play them with my index, ring and pinky, but recently i've switched to just using my index and barring with my pinky because it feels more comfortable. what do you guys think?

Bizarro
02-11-2004, 02:55 AM
I do that quite often. It is very comfortable.

Make sure you can do it both ways tho'. For Ratt and other 80's metal songs you sometimes need that pinky for adding stuff.

RandyEllefson
03-16-2004, 04:47 PM
When not playing live, practicing accuracy of the right hand will help. Also try removing your right hand from the guitar and placing it back accurately. I've found mine simply returns to the right place, but then again, I've been playing 20 years :D

The index finger trick is most common, however. So is your right hand position being such that your palm is already muting lower strings you aren't playing.

Live, no one will notice the BRIEF low E if you don't hit it too hard and it's relatively quiet compared to the notes you MEANT to play.

The other trick is to do it again so everyone thinks the first time wasn't a mistake. Classic trick.:cool:

Vance
03-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Maybe you've already discovered this. But...to add a little more HEAVIER sound to that "A" style power chord, fret and play the low E string.

Example - if you are barring an E on the 7th fret, then add the E string on the 7th. It would be a "b" note played with the e bar chord but it fills out very heavily. I use it all the time.

Vance

oRg
03-20-2004, 05:59 AM
I haven't had a problem with hitting the low e in a long time. It sounds like to me it's just not enough string isolation experience.

LuisSavesTheDay
03-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Are you doing your powers with two fingers, or three???

oRg
03-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Either or. It doesn't matter really. The only difference is your adding that 8th interval and it brings that root note out a little bit more. When I'm playing live I use 2 finger power-chord but when I'm recording I use the 3-finger. The 2-finger one is just easier for me to play. It's all preference really. It's like saying toe-mae-toe and toe-mah-toe for the word tomato.

hol0point
03-22-2004, 06:18 PM
I just keep my middle finger hovering over the string(low E) so I'm ready to kill it if I need to. And I need to alot :).

hol0

oRg
03-22-2004, 06:27 PM
As well as I do as well. I play my power-chords different ways.

e|----------|----------|----------|
B|----------|----------|----------|
G|----------|----------|----------|
D|------4---|----------|----------|
A|------4---|------4---|------4---|
E|------2---|------2---|------2---|
_|----i+r+p-------i+r--------i+p--|

I never use my middle finger to form a power-chord unless i'm doing a very wierd and awkward stretch. i=index r=ring p=pinkie