PDA

View Full Version : G chord fingering

Patrick
08-26-2002, 10:38 AM
I've been playing for only about 2 1/2 weeks now and my basic chords are getting a bit better, but one that is giving me problems is the basic G chord.

I read that you can play it using fingers 123 or fingers 234. Since 234 is the more proper way to do it, that's what I've been doing, but the problem is that when I switch to that chord, my pinkie finger often comes down on the #1 string in the wrong place (other than the tip of the finger)
or misses it all together. Maybe my pinkie is weak. I spent an entire practise session of almost an hour working on just switching to the G chord (specifically landing the pinkie properly on the #1 string) and I did improve somewhat, thought I still usually stumble during chrod progressions when I come to the G chord.

Is the problem I have (using 234 fingering) normal for beginners? Should I switch to the easier, though less proper 123 fingering? Or is it just something that will come with time?

Thanks,
Patrick

Guni
08-26-2002, 12:27 PM
Hi Patrick,

The problem you have is normal and you are doing the right thing to overcome the hurdle. Take your time with it. Usually it takes about 2 to 3 months to get the first chords down.

I would not switch the fingerings. Stay with 234 as your main fingering although it would not hurt to check out the other fingerings as well.

Guni

szulc
08-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Technically shouldn't this fingering be 324? I can't see how I could possibly get my hand to do 234.

Guni
08-26-2002, 12:44 PM
well, 234 doesn't really stand for the order on the strings - just that the chord involves fingers 23 and 4 - that's at least how I understand it. Othrwise this would really hurt!!!:D

One thing I see beginners often do is that they try to learn chords by getting the difficult fingers into position first - then placing the other fingers on the neck. I strongly recommend avoiding this.

All the basic chord forms, like the G chord have the root of the chord on the lowest string. This should be the first note in place (your 3rd finger). Then get your 2nd finger into place and at last the pinky.

Reason being that even if you miss the top note with your pinky you can still play 5 out of 6 strings and noone will notice. And that's the actual goal - to play through a song in time, which is impossible to perform if you learn chords in a different way. Keep this in mind for all chord shapes you will come across: Learn chords from the bass note up.

Guni

szulc
08-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Once you pass the beginner stage and are doing more than strumming, you will rarely voice all six strings in a given chord.
You will find that the 'right' choice of chord inversion will usually occur on groups of 4 strings.

Patrick
08-27-2002, 11:57 AM
szulc, yes...I meant that the chord uses fingers 2 3 and 4, not necessarily in that order. 324 is the proper way to say it. Just for the heck of it I tried to see if I could do the chord in the 234 order, and I couldn't. :p

Guni, thanks for the suggestion to finger the lowest note first. I'm not doing that right now, but I'll try to adapt. Now's the best time to break out of bad habits.

d7th
09-07-2002, 12:10 PM
I can play it in the order 1 2 3 and 2 3 4... just for the warming up :)

Guni
09-07-2002, 01:47 PM
erm...:confused: I hope you've got good health insurance :D

G.

gidster
01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
so is 123 wrong? just i cant play it any other

Blutwulf
01-26-2008, 12:30 AM
It isn't wrong if it works. However, it is wrong, I suspect, academically. But maybe not. One of the music major guys will have to answer that one.

Personally, I use the 324 fingering, because it is so much easier changing chords when playing open basic chords. I have also been known to play the low G with my thumb, mute the A string, and the high G with my ring finger. Often, I'll use the E-shaped barre chord at the G. Whatever works best.

Eventually, you'll play them all with pretty much equal facility.

jade_bodhi
01-26-2008, 02:26 AM
I really believe that the 2,3,4 fingering is preferred because it is so much easier to move from that formation to a G7 chord or a C chord or an F chord, which are common complemetary chords to G chord. Make the pinky obey! Put him into service!

IMHO

Malcolm
01-26-2008, 03:13 AM
really believe that the 2,3,4 fingering is preferred because it is so much easier to move from that formation to a G7 chord or a C chord or an F chord, which are common complementary chords to G chord. Make the pinky obey! Put him into service!

Great point! We all have different hands, and it really does not matter how we make a chord as long as................. we can get to the next one in short order.

2, 3, 4, works great for G C D and really well for C F G

gidster
01-26-2008, 09:13 AM
this is what ive been doing second finger on the third fret of the sixth string,first finger on the second fret of the 5th string and the third finger on the third fret of the first string, is that regarded a more difficulte way? just that im strugglin any other.

Malcolm
01-26-2008, 03:13 PM
this is what ive been doing second finger on the third fret of the sixth string,first finger on the second fret of the 5th string and the third finger on the third fret of the first string, is that regarded a more difficulte way? just that im strugglin any other.
More difficult -- IMHO yes, however that is the way you will find it done on the chord sites, in books, etc. So if you can pull it off keep doing it.

jade_bodhi
01-26-2008, 03:43 PM
2, 3, 4, works great for G C D and really well for C F G

Malcolm: You are such a country boy! I bet you just love to play in G and C!

Crossroads
01-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Well the thread is nearly 6 years old, so I hope Patrick has learned how to play a Gmaj chord by now :D .

Ian.

Malcolm
01-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Malcolm: You are such a country boy! I bet you just love to play in G and C!

And D, sometime A. Hate it when a guest vocalist comes up from the audiance and asks for Bb -- showoff. :mad: .

Crossroads
01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
And D, sometime A. Hate it when a guest vocalist comes up from the audiance and asks for Bb -- showoff. :mad: .
Bb...very nice key ;) . Johnny B.Goode was in Bb, iirc (classic old track that...deceptively simply, but has some very awkward fretting).

Ian.

gidster
01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
im still strugglin with the g chord, its my liitle finger whats cocking it up for me,i cant get it to part far enough from the 3rd:(

jade_bodhi
01-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Well the thread is nearly 6 years old, so I hope Patrick has learned how to play a Gmaj chord by now :D .

Ian.

Very funny, but Gidster ressurected the thread to make sure there weren't any recent scientific discoveries pertaining to the 123 v. 234 controversy.

On another note:

Bb...very nice key ;) . Johnny B.Goode was in Bb, iirc (classic old track that...deceptively simply, but has some very awkward fretting).

Ian.

Malcolm don't be to hard on Bb: try out "A Cottage for Sale" in Bb. It could be made into a lovely country song. Except for the Bb and Cm, it has some easy playing chords in the open positions.

Jade