PDA

View Full Version : Playing with a metronome?

Carvinite
02-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I dont understand how to use it...do i just hit the strings every beat of whats the deal guys?

EricV
02-01-2004, 02:01 AM
Th ebasic idea is to consider the beats of a metronome as the "downbeats"... like 1..2..3..4 ( the way you count 4/4 )

Now, if you play whole notes, you play the note on 1 and let it last for three more beats ( 4 altogether )
Half notes: Play on 1 and 3 ( don´t mute the note, let it ring until you play it again )
Quarter notes: A note occurs on each beat and lasts until the next one is due
Eight notes: One note on each beat, one between, so you play 8 notes within one measure ( each measure lasts four beats if you´re thinking in 4/4 )... count 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and etc.
Sixteenth notes: 4 notes per beat
Eight note triplets: 3 per beat etc.

Powertab has a metronome which you can switch on so you hear it while the program plays back the TAB...
Eric

Carvinite
02-01-2004, 03:43 AM
Thanks that helped alot Eric you broke it down good for me....

I bought a korg metronome and it has a distinctive "ding" on every 1 beat......I have been playing all quarter notes on a 140 bpm setting what would = an 8th note played at this speed...would it be 70bpm?

that helped man thanks!!!

EricV
02-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Correct... if you play quarter notes at 140 ( one note per beat ), and slow down the metronome to 70, you´re actually playing 8th notes ( 2 notes per beat ) if you keep playing at the same speed.

Check out the attached ptb... I put in different note lengths, starting with whole notes, going up to 32nds.. there are even more subdivisions ( also, stuff like shuffled feel ), but these are the most common ones, I´d say.
At the end, there are two exercises that helped me a lot when I started working with a metronome: an ascening G maj / Emin scale on the high E-string, with the open e-string picked in between.
First 16th notes, so the "scale note" is on the beat, then you play the open string three times, then the next note etc.
The final exercise is pretty much the same, but with sixtuplets, so you now play the open string 5 times between the fretted notes.

This is a good, simple exercise to get in synch with the metronome. I also accented the fretted notes to have them stand out more... that way, you can check whether you´re "on the beat".
Hope this helps
Eric

Carvinite
02-01-2004, 04:55 PM
THANKS MAN!!!

Rockson
02-03-2004, 03:46 AM
What the hell is a metronome?

phantom
02-03-2004, 01:59 PM
What the hell is a metronome?

the merciless keeper of time...

Carvinite
02-04-2004, 12:08 AM
^^^^ Exactly..lol

its a thing that clicks to keep your playing in time......Eric might be better at explaining what it is...

http://www.metronomeonline.com/metronomeonline/Default.asp?bhcp=1

that url is a virtual metronome.....hope this helps

EricV
02-04-2004, 12:13 AM
A metronome is supposed to help you stay in time, to play along to a beat. The most basic funtion of a metronome is to give you the downbeats ( in 4/4 time signature, 1..2..3..4..1..2..3..4.. etc. )
You know, counting like a drummer counts in a song.
Now, you play along to that. If you i.e. do a basic rhythm guitar in straight 8th notes, you play one note on the "click" of the metronome, one in between that click and the next one, and the third occurs on the next click.
So, the metronome gives you 4 beats and you play 8th notes, two per beat. ( You count 1 +2+3+4+1+2+3+4+ ) etc.

It´s a good idea to practise along to a metronome, cuz it helps you to develop a steady sense of time. Which is very important.
If you wanna get into this, check out John Petrucci´s video, "Rock Discipline". He demonstrates how to practice scales with a metronome, using different subdivisions ( quarter notes, 8th notes, triplets etc. )
Hope this answers your question
Eric

Carvinite
02-04-2004, 12:37 AM
^^^^see what i mean he can break it down good!

EricV
02-04-2004, 01:03 AM
LOL
If you say so... :)
Thanx
Eric