PDA

View Full Version : Full version of "Angel" now available

EricV
01-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Hey guys,

a few weeks ago we posted a new soundfile of my song "Angel ( Beautiful One )" on my site (http://www.ericvandenberg.com)
We now put up the full version of it. YOu can hear / download it at the "Music"-section.
Hope youīll like it
Eric

Shaman_Santana
01-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Just downloaded - first time i've heard that tune....very nice! I like it a lot, not very much shreading there, just mainly melodies. Great stuff Eric! :)

EricV
01-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi Shaman,
thanks a lot, glad you like it.
Yeah, not much shredding in there ( other than the harmonized sweeps that are going on in the background during the second half of the main-solo ), simply because I didnīt feel like it was appropiate.
Happened to me a few times... I started working on a song, recording it, and at first, I shredded all over the song. Eventually, Iīd cut back on that, playing more relaxed, going for the melodies. "Atlanta Dawn" was way busier in its first version.

"canyon of spirits" would be the best example... that one has pretty much only melody, no shred or an actual solo. Whenever I play it, I try to put in as much emotion and vibe and expression as possible.
During a workshop, I once shredded over it. It was fun, but at the same time, it didnīt quite feel right to play all the wacky stuff over it.
I try to combine both approaches, some shreddy tunes and more melodic stuff. I think listeners prefer that.

Thanks for listening
Eric

forgottenking2
01-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Hey Eric,

I really hadn't had a chance to listen to the new stuff since here at the office people were being real jerks, but oh well, yesterday I got sick of it so I'm here anyways :D Great song man I just love the section since 2:39 (or was it 2:29?) I guess that would be like a solo? (the song is very well written so it's hard to discern sections since it just kinda flows). Great work

EricV
02-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Actually, the way I am thinking is that the solo is the part that starts at about 2:20
Everything before that was based on the two melodies I came up with when I wrote the tune. Itīs a rather long song, and I tried to kinda layer it ( especially when those harmonized sweeps come in at about 3:15 ) and then cut back again at 3:30 and after that, when I play the melody again.
At the end, I did the layering thing again... 4 guitars playing the melodies in harmony.
I am glad you like the song, it means a lot that you read the part about it being "well written". As I said, it took quite a while to complete this song. The backgrounbd, the piano-part and everything, was written a few years ago.
Then, in April or May of 2002, I came up with the main themes, and I recorded an early version... the song was still called "Rainy Night" then. There are two solos from the different demos on my site, I also posted those here at ibreathe.
Then, last december, after I had gotten the new computer, I sat down and started to finish. Itīs always like that... either I get an idea and finish the song really quick, or it takes me a loooong time until I finally get around to it... at some point, I just go "Ok, letīs do it" and then I wonīt stop till itīs done.
Anyway, more information than you asked for, I guess.
Thanks again for the feedback, it means a lot. And sorry for the late reply, I didnīt see your post until now
Thanks
Eric