PDA

View Full Version : Dropped D

ximm0rtal
01-01-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm slowly learning my guitar (I've had it a year and just recently started trying to learn to play it) and most of the time, I can find lessons on questions I have. I'm trying to learn a TAB of Evanescence's "Going Under," but it's in Dropped D tuning and I've never conquered that before. I feel almost stupid for asking, but exactly what is Dropped D tuning? I've looked a couple of places for info on it, but can't find it.

Can anyone help me figure out how to play in Dropped D? I'm sure I can figure it out once I get a little bit of push from someone.

vanhalen
01-01-2004, 10:44 PM
You just tune the low E-string two halfsteps down to a D.

EricV
01-02-2004, 12:47 AM
If you have a chromatic tuner which tells you exactly what note the strin is tuned to, tune down the E-string until the tuner says its an A.
If you have a "guitar only" tuner which only tells you that the string is tuned correctly, fret the low E-string at the 2nd fret, and tune down till the tuner says itīs an E. When you hit the open E-String now ( without fretting ), it should be a D.
Donīt press down to hard when ya fret the note.
Eric

ximm0rtal
01-02-2004, 02:21 AM
thanks...i finally understand the concept of the Dropped D, now it's just learning it. that's kinda hard when my tuner doesn't work. i don't know what it is, whether it's the battery or whether it's just a piece of crap (which could be) but it doesn't want to turn on at all. so for now i'm stuck using the tuner online at www.wholenote.com ... so i put my finger on the 2nd fret on the low E string and tune it to sound like that low E string correct?

The Bash
01-02-2004, 07:09 AM
If your gonna tune it by ear tune your open 6th string down until it matches your open 4th string.
NOTE: Your open 6th string will now be one octave below your open 4th string. So don't try to raise the pitch, be sure to tune down till the notes match up.

Gordon
01-11-2004, 03:35 AM
I would reccomend getting a chromatic tuner, I have one and it is very helpful. I am just now begining to work on ear training so I can't live without it.

You can pick them up at most music stores and they are not that much money.

Spin 2513
01-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Yeah , tune the 6th string to the note"D"on the 5th fret of the 5th string . Now you can play with one finger , and get root and 5th Power Chords , Black Lable Society , Zakk Wyldes band , uses that tuning alot.

celestial
01-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi there, I use alot of drop D tuning in my music, basically what drop D tuning is is droping your low E string to a D, D A D G B E, Then after that dropping it down one full step so therfore it would be C G C F A D, If you do not know how to do that, I recommend buying a chromatic tuner, there around $30.00 at your local guitar dealer. Ounce you have tuned your guitar to C G C F A D you can play lots of sweet songs like, Deftones, System of a down, Godsmack, basically all the new metal bands! hope this helps you a little! Peace

k-nug
02-24-2004, 10:43 PM
if your having problems with your tuner, just make sure your guitar is relatively tuned to itself then tune your E to your D string

LarryJ
02-25-2004, 03:08 AM
Eric,

Did you make a mistake when you said tune the E string to A, or am I just confused? Shouldn't it be to D?

k-nug
02-25-2004, 05:04 AM
if you mean me then you didnt read my post right. tune your sixth, the lowest string to yes, D the fourth string, like the other guy said an octave lower, which basicly is down 2 steps.

Bizarro
02-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Eric made a mistake. It doesn't happen too often! :)

It should have been "D" instead of "A".

metaljustice83
03-17-2004, 03:01 AM
I was wonderin the same thing myself

smallbusrider
03-17-2004, 04:08 AM
I'm slowly learning my guitar (I've had it a year and just recently started trying to learn to play it) and most of the time, I can find lessons on questions I have. I'm trying to learn a TAB of Evanescence's "Going Under," but it's in Dropped D tuning and I've never conquered that before. I feel almost stupid for asking, but exactly what is Dropped D tuning? I've looked a couple of places for info on it, but can't find it.

Can anyone help me figure out how to play in Dropped D? I'm sure I can figure it out once I get a little bit of push from someone.

As far as i know "Going Under" is not in dropped D...If it is it doesnt need to be i figured it out in standard tuning just fine

D-Day
03-17-2004, 07:22 PM
It is in dropped D tunning, but there is a way to get practically the same sound without messing with all that. Just instead of hitting:

|------|
|------|
|------|
|------|
|-0-0-|
|-0-0-|

Do this:

|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-2-2-|
|-0-0-|

It acheives pretty much the same thing, and that E5 chord is how you play most of the song.

wild_child
03-17-2004, 07:36 PM
It is in dropped D tunning, but there is a way to get practically the same sound without messing with all that. Just instead of hitting:

|------|
|------|
|------|
|------|
|-0-0-|
|-0-0-|

Do this:

|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-2-2-|
|-0-0-|

It acheives pretty much the same thing, and that E5 chord is how you play most of the song.

if i understand what you are saying correctly, those are different chords -
the first chord is a D5 (presuming its in dropped D) and the second is an E5 (presuming its in standard) so you'd be playing the song 1 step higher. to compensate that, you'd need to tune the whole guitar down a step.

D-Day
03-19-2004, 02:26 PM
What I meant to say is instead of hitting the top to strings open in dropped D, just play an E5 instead. I don't know if that is technically correct or anything, I just found it to sound almost the same without having to mess with the tuning.

oRg
03-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Ok, the way I tune to Drop D is hit a natural harmonic on the 7-fret E string, the hit a natural harmonic on the 5-fret A string and tune your E-string until you get that certain pitch. You can switch your fingers and do it opposite to get back into standard. hit a natural harmonic on the 5-fret E string and then hit a natural harmonic on the 7-fret A string.

fred
03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
I heard that you should tune the D slightly flat because when you fret it, it tends to go sharp. Is this true and why is that?