PDA

View Full Version : Legato

Guitarperson88
12-22-2003, 06:41 AM
alright, I'm getting a bit frustrated on something and maybe you all can help. I need to work on my legato a little bit. I can do the normal hammer ons and pull offs, but I'm trying to nail the satriani type legato. I can do it at a moderate pace, but i need tips for getting it faster.Thanks

EricV
12-22-2003, 09:38 AM
Hi

I guess I could just say "invest more practising time", but I think that wouldnīt quite cut it. I can understand your frustration... after all I am a big fan of the Satch myself, and when I started working on lead-playing, it seemed impossible to get that legato-sound and speed he has.
I think the best advice I can give you is:
RELAX ! By that I mean keep your left hand relaxed. When you try to gain speed, and you really WANT to play fast, you might tend to tighten up and play "angry", trying to force your hand to play fast. This does not work.
I read an interview with Satch once and he said "The older you get, the longer you play, the softer your touch gets"
And thatīs where the secret lies. You wanna relax your left hand to the point where you use he smallest amount of strength possible. You know, you only wanna sound the notes with the left hand, so try to use less strength.
Play a 3NPS sequence legato-style on one string and try to use less and less strength... enough to have the notes ring out, not more.
Then try to practise using that much strength ALWAYS.

And finally, make sure you mute adjacent strings with your right hand. It will sound more accurate.
Hope this helps
Eric

PS: Thereīs a very typical Satch-Sequence in my legato-article, check it out... good exercise...

NP: Joe Satriani - Time Machine

The Bash
12-23-2003, 02:24 AM
This may be a dumb question, but have u tried practicing trills.
Say between the 6 2 finger combinations (1,2)(1,3) etc.
with a met. Focusing on getting the weaker combinations up to par with the stronger ones.
I find not going to slow or too fast at first helps one relax a bit easier. Real Slow tends to take a bit more effort (since more time has elasped since u last hit the string) and too fast generally cause one to tense up or get real tried real quick and tense up.
Find a good mid temp that feels easy and be sure your clean and try to get each trill going for say 15 secs, working up as u build stamina to a full min or more. Focus extra hard (put in more work)on the weaker fingers.
I know this isn't exatly what your asking but lack of stamina will cause u to tire and tense. Which will kill your long legatto line if your hands all tensed up in one spot of the neck.

Also try 3 finger combinations like 1-3-4-3-1-3-4-3 etc picking only the first note. Then come up with all kinds of variations using diffrent spacings like half step or whole step or more between fingers 3 and 4 etc.

Eric's got sum good ex. in his article.
U might wanna read steve vai's little legatto lesson at his website as well.
Ther's also a satch lesson floating around the net where u talks about legatto and relaxing etc.

Koala
12-23-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by EricV
I think the best advice I can give you is:
RELAX !

I read an interview with Satch once and he said "The older you get, the longer you play, the softer your touch gets"
And thatīs where the secret lies. enough to have the notes ring out, not more.

Then try to practise using that much strength ALWAYS.

Most of the times when i see threads like these i kinda know what the replies will be. But this one... a shocker, kickbutt advice from Eric, good enough to motivate, giving an actual tip to improve rather than the "well, just keep working" that always comes up.

Great great stuff Eric.

loveguitar
12-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Just wonder if anyone feels that playing a low string to high string legato (3nps hammering) is easier to pick up than a high string to low string legato (3nps pulling off)?

The Bash
12-23-2003, 10:03 AM
I feel hammering in general is easier than pulling off.
So, yea. I think the 3 note per string hammer is a lot easier than pulling off.
I usually have to isolate 2 adjacent strings at a time and work them up till there smooth. Then (overlapping) move to the next two etc. For example strings one and two, then strings two and three etc.
With hammering the same thing I usually don't have to do that, or at least I usually take bigger chunks.
Course it depends on what your actually playing.

EricV
12-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Koala... :)

Regarding hammer ons being easier than POīs... most people feel that way. Brett Garsed does hammer-ons almost exclusively, even on descending runs ( !!! ), so he hardly ever plays an actual pull off... check out my article about that ( I think itīs called "Why Not Do Both" ) or check Brettīs awesome instructional vid, "Rock Fusion".
Eric