PDA

View Full Version : 'Silent Night' Arrangement Question

LIChick
12-17-2003, 02:10 PM
I have an arrangment of Silent Night that I'm working on--straight melody for starters.

The beginning notes are:

Si - lent night

G A G F
C

The Chord for this measure is a C chord.

There is a tie from the first G to the A.

How do I play the last notes? They are 4th String F and 5th string C (first positon, remember my playing is only in its infancy).

Do I play them together, like a chord or do I arpeggiate each one in close succession?

Again, thanks everyone....
happy Holidays.

Cuno
12-17-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure i understand the question...
You should probably play the notes separated, no stackato, no legato and all melody (one note at a time) - but that's just me.

Si-ilent night
G--AG-E----- (in 6/8)

The last note should be E instead of F i guess.

Did that help at all?

Spin 2513
12-18-2003, 03:14 AM
Hi LI,

I would suggest , getting an EZ Guitar arrangement ,and playing open position chords, that go along ,with this familiar, tune.
G,E,F etc. Are you familiar with all the open position chords?
The reading Chord Windows method works really well, if you allready know the melody and rhythm.

Did your brother like the White Zombie stuff .

I remember when my sister picked up guitar and learned "Stair Way to Heaven " when we were kids , i was so mad i got my self an Acoustic .

Happy Winter.

LIChick
12-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Yes, Cuni. Last note is E not F...my mistake.

On the staff, there are 2 notes written on top of each other...that's what's confusing me. They are E and C. I know when 3 are together, it's a chord, but I'm not too good at reading those.

What do 2 notes on top of each other mean?

(I really wish I knew how to add an attachment to make my question more clear...my jargon is weak, so I may not be as clear as I wish).

ScaraMungo
12-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Any notes "stacked" on top of each other form a chord. Whether it be 2 notes or 3 notes (or more). They can all be classed as chords when played together. So as you have an E and a C on top of each other, you need to play both notes at the same time.

Hope this helps.

LIChick
12-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Much thanks...I thought I was on the right track, just wnated it clarified.