PDA

View Full Version : Pull-offs......

Gleeser
08-08-2002, 09:26 PM
I'm pretty new to guitar, been plunking on it for about 2 monthes now. Mostly I have been trying to focus on technique and fluidity in the songs/excercises I practice. (Neither of which have I attained BTW)

I have hammer-ons down pretty well, however I simply for the life of me cannot grasp a pull-off. I was just wondering if one of you had a good way of explaining this particular technique. When I do it all I get is the end of the previous note that was picked or hammered just one fret lower.

The 2 guys who are "teaching" me are very hard to get to take the time to actually work on small things like this. "Teacher" number one just wants to jam. "Teacher" number 2 has tons to offer as far as theory and technique but plays in a band and I'm lucky to see him more than once a month.

Thanks

szulc
08-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Start by just rapidly moving your finger up and down at the 2nd fret on the D string the notes will be E and D. You might even try to flutter your finger as in a fast trill. This is really hammer on pull off and repeat.

Try placing all four fingers on the high ( thin) E string. Use 1 finger per fret. It really doesn't matter where. Now pull your pinky off the string quickly just slighty toward the floor you should hear the ring finger note ringing repeat with the ring finger, you should hear the middle finger ringing, repeat with the middle noew you should hear the index ringing, pull of the index, now you should hear the open string. Just keep practicing this (SLOWLY at first)until you can always hear every note evenly.

Bongo Boy
08-15-2002, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Gleeser

The 2 guys who are "teaching" me are very hard to get to take the time to actually work on small things like this. "Teacher" number one just wants to jam. "Teacher" number 2 has tons to offer as far as theory and technique but plays in a band and I'm lucky to see him more than once a month.

These two guys may be great players, and they may be great friends--so please don't take offense if I suggest it's at least possible that they aren't great teachers or coaches, if you will. I think most of us just intuitively assume that someone who seems good at something can probably teach others, too. But, teaching is also a skill that can take many years to learn.

Since it sounds as though you have the time and willingness to spend with an instructor, maybe your progress would be more satisfying with one that more closely matches your learning style, etc. Just a thought!

szulc
08-15-2002, 12:35 PM
The taking time part is your responsibility. The teacher is there to show you what and how to practice, ne thankful you live in the modern era with the internet, everything you need is here, you need only supply the motivation and tenacity. You need to develop the discipline to work on things slowly and realize that it is a slow process to train the muscles and build the nerve superhighways needed for this type of dexterity. This doesn't happen overnight.

Greg
11-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Hi there,

Any tips on how to execute a clean pull-off (e.g from ring to index finger) on, say, the D string? I know you can use the index finger to mute the G string, but is there some way to use a pull-off without hitting the adjacent strings?