PDA

View Full Version : 'Discuss' Button on Articles

Bongo Boy
12-13-2003, 05:09 AM
In Guni's most recent article, White Christmas, he provided a link to a pre-strarted thread for us to use in discussing the article. I like this idea. Here's the deal.

I just a moment ago finished the Shapes of Things article and wanted to make a comment. Initially I thought I'd just start a thread in the Miscellaneous Chat forum, but then thought I'd better look to see if a thread had alread started.

If the 'Discuss' control at the bottom of each article directed you to a thread that was already started (or created one if you were the first to comment), it might eliminate redundant threads. It might have to be a little more obvious, and a little more 'directive', but I think the idea would be an advantage.

By 'more obvious and directive', consider placing a link at the TOP of every article that reads "Please discuss this article here", similar to how Guni did in his article.

Guni
12-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Hi Bongo,

Thanks for the feedback - the discuss link has been bothering me for quite some time now.

How about something like this:

At the end of every article there could be a 'Comment/Discuss this article' form, which if submitted either creates a new thread or adds to an existing thread. Also, it could offer a quick preview of the discussion itself.

Question is if we should create a separate forum just for discussing articles or mix it in with all the other discussions ...

What do you think?

Thanks,

Guni

Guila
12-13-2003, 02:26 PM
i agree with you Guni :)
as previosly said guni is the man!!!

Koala
12-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Hey Bongo, I couldnt agree with you more, its the best way to keep info clean and tidy for future reference.

On Guniīs question, i believe itīd probablly be better to keep the discussion threads in the regular forums so more people join in, even if they havnt read the article.

Bongo Boy
12-13-2003, 04:22 PM
That's exactly what I had in mind, but I felt the thread should be initiated when the article is first posted--so you could ensure that every such thread is entitled with a standard convention such as "iBM Article: [article title]". This would make it easy to use the search engine to find all such articles (I think).

My worry about the button at the bottom was that folks wouldn't see or notice the button, and would then start separate threads on the same basic topic. That happens all the time though, and hasn't been a real problem.

Koala
12-13-2003, 09:36 PM
I get what youre sayin Bongo, maybe for the next few articles the button should appear at the beginning, the middle and the end, all IBM regulars will end up getting used to this format and make use of it. Any newcomers posts could be moved to the right place and theyd end up getting the hang of it as well.

Bongo Boy
12-14-2003, 01:36 AM
Yes. You know, I believe 'our' little site is progressing along quite nicely. :D

Koala
12-14-2003, 05:34 AM
LOL scary, im not sure if youre just being sarcastic or coming on to me....lololol

Guni
12-16-2003, 10:38 AM
update: I started working on this but have some kinda logical mental block :D as to how this will be technically working. Guess, I'm just again making things a bit too complicated as I always try to go for the 'perfect' solution ... but I am on it.

Bongo Boy
12-17-2003, 08:10 AM
Someday I will find a way to get my company to pay for me to get over there and buy you many pints, my friend.

Koala
12-17-2003, 03:59 PM
LOLOL :D

Bongo Boy
12-18-2003, 09:47 AM
You LOL a lot, Koala. :)

Guni
12-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Now that makes me laugh :D

Koala
12-18-2003, 05:37 PM
No respect for happy people these days :D