PDA

View Full Version : White Christmas Chord Solo

Guni
12-11-2003, 10:29 AM
This thread is to support this article http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/139

.. and is open for any questions, queries, your own recording of the tune, etc ...

Looking forward to the discussion.

Guni

forgottenking2
12-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Sweet stuff! I'll work on it this afternoon :D Great article Guni!

Koala
12-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey hey Guni! No questions yet, thats a great arangement, working on it now. Christmas doesnt make me particularly happy, but this year ill finally have somn "christmassy" to play for that fat aunt of mine :D

Cheers Guni!

Guni
12-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Koala
this year ill finally have somn "christmassy" to play for that fat aunt of mine :D LOL :D

DanF
12-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Looks (and sounds) great. Thank you SO much for posting pdfs also, I switched to Mac since I've started visiting this site and the heavy use of powertab really sucks for me.

As a side note, if anyone else downloads the pdf to their Mac OS X system and can't see the notes (gibberish) you need to go to http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php and download the truetype font and then copy it into /Library/Fonts then it will work :)

Have my last final today so I'll probably start working on it tomorrow. Woohoo!

-Dan

Koala
12-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Hey Guni, just forgot to say, that adding the link to the article thread is a great idea which should probablly happen in all articles so it keeps all questions on it neat and tidy and in one single place for the future. great idea.

And, this arrangement of yours sounds great on banjo, the lent me one for 2 days, and im just working it out on it....a beauty!

Guni
12-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Hey cool - any chance of posting a soundfile? I'd be interested in how this sounds.

Koala
12-11-2003, 08:43 PM
If i make it to the studio in the next couple of days thats a positive.... :( i should keep some mics at home shouldnt I :) lol

Koala
12-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Guni do you play the first four bars barring with your first finger or do you play it a finger to a string?

hol0point
12-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Cool article. I believe this may be slightly out of my skill range but I wont know till I try right? Gonna give it a shot after work.

Guni
12-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Koala
Guni do you play the first four bars barring with your first finger or do you play it a finger to a string? Let me call it halfbarring - so it's not a real barre - just enough to fret the root notes - and slightly touching all other strings (to mute the high e-string).

Koala
12-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

gregburt
12-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Guni,

It sounds really smooth!

How would you go about doing a couple of choruses of improvisation?

Would you continue to try to keep the 3 parts going or weave around the melody, keep the bass, what? maybe trade 4s with yourself?

I can build chord melodies that sound OK but when I start to do lines by myself it can sound a bit thin.

jkindle
12-12-2003, 05:11 AM
hey guni, thanks for the GREAT song, i'll play it on christmas and then say "ok, now one of you do something" lol:D i do have a couple of questions concerning the theory behind the song, i've taken the basic "theory 101" class in college, so i have most of the diatonic stuff learned, but some of the chromaticism i don't understand, i guess the question is, why do some chord voicings work, how do i know if i'm writing something if it will sound good when i use nondiatonic chords and whatnot, just wanted to reiterate that that is a really cool song, thanks again

Guni
12-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by gregburt
Would you continue to try to keep the 3 parts going or weave around the melody, keep the bass, what? maybe trade 4s with yourself? [/B] Yes, I would stick to the form - although I wouldn't go through the ending in 3/4 - you'd need to create a turnaround to come back to the beginning instead.

In terms of soloing I would stick to the melody at first, filling in the space that the melody leaves. Then perhaps go a bit further out - maybe throw in some walking bass line here and there, quote a diferent tune ;), there are many possibilities ....

Guni
12-12-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi jkindle,

Is there a specific bar or chord you are talking about? Maybe bar 2 with Bmaj7? or bar 4 with F#7? as these are 2 chromatic approaches ...

Danster
12-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Very nice work Guni! It sounds awesome.

If I'm able to play that arrangement of White Christmas by Christmas 2004 and it sounds halfway decent, I'll be a happy boy. I don't think I'll be able to match your excellent phrasing and dynamics by then, but I'll be working on it.

Bongo Boy
12-13-2003, 04:42 AM
I'm so excited! After just 30 min or so, I can play the first chord! I'm thinking I'm in great shape for Christmas 2010!

Did I mention how much I love this instrument?

jkindle
12-13-2003, 05:34 AM
i've been workin hard and i just might have the song down by christmas:cool: , but anyway...

there's no specific chord, just chromaticism in general i don't have a clue. i can improv with chromatics, but that's because i have a pretty good ear and i've learned by trial and error what sounds good and what doesn't (although it always seems like i find the worst note at the worst time when i perform, lol :D ) is there any way i can start taking some of the guesswork out of it and maybe even start to understand it?

Bizarro
12-13-2003, 04:12 PM
Guni, nice job!;)

Your mp3 is very jazzy feeling. I like the swing! The ending gets very dissonant without "losing" the tune. Impressive ;)

For all the non-jazzers out there, learning this type of piece can help take your rhythm chops to a new level. It also builds up chord-grabbing dexterity very quickly.

I need to study a bit and make sure I understand all your chord choices! :eek:

Hamlet
12-16-2003, 08:41 AM
I think this is one of the best articles on Ibreathe.com. I'd like to see more articles of this kind. Maybe something with simpler chords :D and in-depth analysis of what's going on. Passing chords seem very interesting and I believe they really can make a huge difference to rhythm melody.

Take care

DanF
12-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Very nice, I've got about half of it down. (The part where the bassline starts getting a little crazy is giving me some rhythm problems even though I guess that's a non-issue since the piece is "rubato") The nice thing is that I knew all the chord forms already ;) I even tried subbing the m7 chords for m9s (the coolest chords in the universe) kinda changed the flavor though.

So now for a shred arrangement?

-Dan

EricV
12-16-2003, 07:19 PM
So now for a shred arrangement?

*speaking with Robert DeNiro accent* You talking to me ? :)

Eric

PAUL C/KX1722
12-16-2003, 10:43 PM
;) Good to see you back, Eric!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Guni – thought you might like to hear my “multi-tracked little guitar orchestra version” of White Christmas. I was having trouble with a couple of chords & thought this would be the easy way out … little did I know how difficult it is to over dub different parts ‘in time’ with a free flowing tune like this. I’d recommend anybody trying it though … it really gives you a different perspective on how chord voicings can move around (especially the movement of jazzy chords like these).

Don’t know about a ‘shred’ version, but I wonder how a multi-tracked arrangement of WC would sound with a bit of distortion:D ??

(Unfortunately the file size was too big, so I had to chop the first few bars off).

Thanks for keeping me busy this evening! - Paul

Guni
12-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Hey Paul - that is way cool. Sounds great - someone should do a vocal performance once .... hehe

I just raised the attachment size limit to about 1.5 MB. I'd like to hear the entire thing :D - would ya pls exchange you attachment with the full version?

thanks,

Guni

Guni
12-17-2003, 12:57 AM
Ouch - Paul, there seems to be some kind of error when uploading something - I'll have a look right now what's going on ... sorry for this.

Guni

PAUL C/KX1722
12-17-2003, 01:13 AM
;) Thanks a lot Guni

someone should do a vocal performance
... I only wish I could:mad:

Ouch - Paul, there seems to be some kind of error when uploading something - I'll have a look right now what's going on ... sorry for this.
No problem. I'll try uploading again in about 20 minutes. If it doesn't work I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks again - Paul:)

Guni
12-17-2003, 01:36 AM
Ok, problem solved and uploads up to 1.5 MB should be fine - just tested it ...

Guni

PAUL C/KX1722
12-17-2003, 01:38 AM
Cheers Guni. Here's the full version ...

Guni
12-17-2003, 01:43 AM
Cool - thanks. I really do like the sound of this ;)

Bongo Boy
12-17-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by PAUL C/KX1722
thought you might like to hear my “multi-tracked little guitar orchestra version” of White Christmas That is mightly cool...I like it a LOT. I think what I enjoy the most is a) the feeling that I'm on Oahu, and b) the 'rhythmic delivery'. Phrasing is very enjoyable there. Thanks.

PAUL C/KX1722
12-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Guni & Bongo – very pleased you both like it.

I know what you mean about Oahu, BB – I had a similar feeling when I listened back to it after the final overdub. I didn’t envisage that sort of vibe when I started recording the track – I was pleasantly surprised myself!

As a matter of pure coincidence, a friend E-mailed me a Christmas message this morning with another variation on the song. Just click on the link to hear (& see) it …

> White Trash Christmas < (http://www.toonedin.com/movies/WhiteTrashXmas.html)

Cheers - P.

Moonchild
12-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Hi!

I just want to say that reading through this article and working on this song has been a really great help for me. Both theory-wise and technically. I am really taking my time, trying to analyze all the chords and chord-changes, and it has worked wonders!

Thanks a whole lot, Guni! Great stuff indeed :)
(Btw. I am about halfway through the song now, and with a little practice I may be able to play it by the 24th :))

Merry christmas to you all!

Guni
12-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Cool, Moonchild! Glad ya like it....

Merry Xmas

Guni

Unhorizon
12-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Great article Guni, too bad I didn't discover it until now :-/, December 23. I'm gonna work on it all day tommorow in hopes to play it for our company tommorow night. That would be great, but it is a little hard for me. I already have the first half done though, and it sounds grrrrrrrrreat! Did you make up those chords yourself? Anyway thanks for the great article, Rock on.

Gitboxer
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey all- I too enjoy working on this piece and thanks to the creator-

To the point- How would ya'll finger the last chord in the fifth bar, the one before that, and the last chord in the sixth bar. I've got the others down but these are harder to grab. Thanks.

-Fritz

Poparad
05-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey all- I too enjoy working on this piece and thanks to the creator-

To the point- How would ya'll finger the last chord in the fifth bar, the one before that, and the last chord in the sixth bar. I've got the others down but these are harder to grab. Thanks.

-Fritz

For the two in the fifth bar:

G7 - Bar with your index finger the 7th fret on the top three strings for the 1st and 3rd notes (B and D), use your ring finger for the G on the 8th fret of the 2nd string, and use your middle finger for the F on the 8th fret of the 5th string.

G7sus - Index finger for the C on the 8th fret of the 1st string, middle finger on the G on the 10th fret of the 5th string, ring finger on the F on the 10th fret of the 3rd string, and pinkie on the A on the 10th fret of the 2nd string.

For the G13 chord at the end of bar 6: bar the 8th fret for the F and the A on the 5th and 2nd strings, respectively. Then use your middle finger for the B on the 9th fret of the 4th string and your ring finger for the E on the 9th fret of the 3rd string.

Padawan
10-29-2007, 08:42 PM
I was searching for chord melody and came across Guni's article. Really cool stuff and perfect for Christmas, thanks!

Oh and by the way, one of my teachers at school was Guni's roommate at Berklee and contributing for Ibm as well! :D
I think that's the one
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/64