PDA

View Full Version : Tapped harmonics?

FredrikD
12-01-2003, 11:26 PM
I've dicussed a technique for classic guitar with a guy just the other day. He does this thing that's really cool. He plays an open accord like an Em. Then he smacks neck around the 12 fret with some part of his palm (really hard) to get ALL the notes to turn into harmonics. I guess that this classifies as tapped harmonics. Are there anyone here familiar with this technique who can explain a bit more about it to me? I've tried, but I fail totally when I tried to do it with my palm. When I do it with the fingers I get half of the notes right atleast...

Koala
12-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Hey Fredrik... I am familiar with tap harmonics.... but im not familiar with using the palm to play them. Ive always done it with either my middle or my index finger. I guess you should just put some more time into it making sure you hit ALL the strings you want to get harmonics out of. Although if youre fretting an Em and you hit the 12th fret strings 5-4 wont have much to offer.

Hope this helps!

FredrikD
12-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Hey Koala.

I do it with the middle finger. I find that simple and I can do notes with my thumb at the same time then.

To get the harmonics for 4-5 fifth string you simply tap the 14th fret. So i guess this is why he uses his palm to get all the notes. You can hit the whole space between 11 and 13 fret to get the harmonic at 12. So I guess that it's very possible.

french_miracle
12-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Probably the guitar is open-tuned in Em...

Koala
12-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by FredrikD

You can hit the whole space between 11 and 13 fret to get the harmonic at 12. So I guess that it's very possible.

Ill look into this. TO get the harmonics i sometimes go for the koto effect or the harp harmonics as theyre referred to otherwise, or i just tap the frets i need to, but using the palm to hit different frets at the same time? That must be tough but i sure will try and let you know if i nail it.

Cuno
12-03-2003, 07:40 PM
I saw a guitarist on tv a few years back who did that kind of thing, maybe you know who it is? He's been in guitar player a few times. Curly hair, a bit chubby, plays jazz on semi-acoustic blond guitars. He hits the neck in all kinds of places all the time -- it's part of his unique style. Very cool. Most of the times when he hits his guitar, some string rings free and some gets muted, but i think that he know how to hit to get the most significant notes of the chord to ring.

I just tried on my guitar, and could get some of the notes to ring when i hit the strings with the side of my pinky - like a loose hand version of a karate blow. If i curl the finger just a bit and hit the strings with the joint at about A-D on a normal barre, i manage to get all strings to ring. On a lucky strike, that is... :)

Koala
12-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Tom Arnold maybe? :D JK JK

Cuno
12-04-2003, 08:13 AM
LOL, You nailed it Koala! :D