PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solos

hol0point
11-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone. I have been playing a year and half or so and I have improved quite a bit overall. But the one thing I cannot do is play a solo.. Any solo. I tried the solo from When I'm Gone by 3 Doors Down but I was only able to get to a certain point before it all fell apart in my mind and I got perminantly stuck and gave up..
What I need is a solo that is fairly easy that incorporates small amounts of the tough stuff like legato or tapping. It just seems like I dont know where to start and if I can get an easy solo to work on then I could work up to tougher ones. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
hol0

Koala
11-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey HP! Long time no see... have you tried Pink Floyds wish you were here solo, its real nice and its probablly within your reach.

hope this helps,

hol0point
11-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Hi Koala. I still come here bout every day I just dont post as much as I used too. Mainly because the answers to my questions are already there for me to find 9 times out of 10 :). I saw the thread with the pics of your guitar. That is one beautiful guitar. Congrats. I went and got the powertab for Wish You Were Here and it doesnt look to be too difficult.. I'll check it out tonight. I tend to get "lost" in solos and I get to the point where I cant relate the notes I'm hearing to the tab I'm reading.. It just blends together.. Maybe a more melodic sounding soloing style like Gilmour's would be a good place to start. Thanks Koala!

mjo
11-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi guys,
Wow, guitar has come a long way. I've played,to some extent, since EVH was still dreaming about a recording contract and the only thing I've ever tapped has been a keg o' beer:) , I've done that many times though.
.......and whats legato, some kind of Italian cheese ?;) :D

....seriously though, I like koala's advise. Start simple and Gilmore has to be some of the best sounding, simple stuff, ever !

Cheers !
Mike

Bizarro
11-21-2003, 05:57 PM
How about Smells like Teen Spirit from Nirvana. It's easy to play the notes, but you can really work on vibrato and bending in a solo context.

The solos in Fade to Black by Metallica are simple, but it gets pretty quick at the end so you'll get a good workout! ;)

I hate to say this, but Poison's Talk Dirty To Me is a cool solo and it has a lot of cool techniques.;)

Can you tell I'm a relic from the 80's! Good luck and happy soloing! ;)

hol0point
11-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys! I forgot I can play the solo for Smells Like Teen Spirit, I guess I just denied the fact it IS a solo even though it doesnt take a heck of alot of technique to pull it off. Though I'm sure I could use some fine tuning playing it.
I'll check out all the suggestions tonight and see which one I decide to try to conquer. I kinda need to lose the stereotypical way of thinking of solos as blistering legato runs and tapping arps. I actually enjoy listening to more melodic solos like Floyd but at the same time I have huge HUGE respect for players who can crack out blistering solos(Freewill by Rush - Good lord thats quick!). And in the end I want a balance of both in my ideal solo that I would write. So the journey starts tonight to become a better lead guitarist. Thanks again guys and I'm still open to more suggestions!

Dave
11-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Check out the solo from "Stairway To Heaven." It's sort of required learning for rock guitarists and not impossible to play...

Unhorizon
11-22-2003, 01:49 AM
If you like Dream Theater, try the Silent Man, its really easy

DDTonFire
11-22-2003, 03:25 AM
Try the first guitar solo in The Glass Prison, Eruption, Under a Glass Moon, Heartbreaker, or As I Am.

J/k

The first two from One by Metallica are pretty easy. Of course, play almost any blues lick and you've got 1/4 a Metallica tune.

Quite a few of Jimmy Page's solos arent really that difficult. I couldnt really name them but most are pentatonically (did i spell that right?) based, which makes them quite easier, like Whole Lotta Love, Ramble On, Stairway, etc.

Charuto
11-22-2003, 04:15 AM
Hey man, what about some Slash solos!??!!
My first guitar solo was the "Knockin' on Heavens Door"...
Try also "Don't Cry", "Patience" "November Rain" "Sweet Child O' Mine"...
All those solos are very melodic and easy... it is a nice bend/vibrato tranning!!
Slash rulez!!

Tune2B
11-22-2003, 09:27 PM
My Friend Of Misery Solo
30 sec solo. Pretty nice and very easy.

JeffN
11-23-2003, 01:00 AM
Most of the Smashing Pumpkins solos are very easy.

Cherub Rock was my first solo I picked up.

Mayonaise, and Ava Adore are pretty easy too.

Koala
11-23-2003, 05:47 PM
No prob HP, and thanks for your kind words ! :D

Shaman_Santana
11-23-2003, 07:13 PM
Hey. I've been playing around the same amount of time as you, although the first thing i really started learning was solo's/lead guitar and not rhythm, which i am now working really hard on (wish id have learned the other way round!).

The first solo i ever learned was 'Californication' by John Fruciante of the Chili Peppers. I really would recommend it as a first solo to learn. Its simple - nothing too tricky at all, yet its nice n melodic and fits the song well. Give that one a go id say! :)

hol0point
12-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Just to let you guy know I didnt take your advice in vein(does that even make sense??ehh).. Here are the solos I tried. Some success. Some failure.. But I pushed myself and I can see pretty clearly what my limitations are now.

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd: I spent a while learning the first solo. Very melodic and very fun to play. My friend the bass player was impressed :). However the second solo is much tougher for me and I'm still working on it..

One - Metallica: I tried the first solo and I can get about 5 seconds into it lol. When it gets to that tough spiralling part my fingers just cant execute it yet.

Knockin on Heavens Door - GnR: I started with the first solo. Slash's style is so cool. My friend picked it up immediately as a slash solo when he heard it. But once again I get to a certain point and it becomes too fast and too difficult.

I will check out some of the other suggestions. I knew I would have a blast as soon as I got some ideas to start with. Thanks for the help! Now I just have to spend a couple dozen hours a day working on my lead play and I'll be fine heh..

ash
12-01-2003, 11:53 PM
heres some more for you:

ashes to ashes / faith no more

the boys are back in town / thin lizzy

lights and thunder / white lion

aint talkin about love / van halen

columbia / oasis

ScaraMungo
12-04-2003, 12:02 PM
If you really wanna be able to play those fast bits, and complete the solos to the end, the best way Ive always found of doing this is to break the solo up.

Don't try playing the entire solo all the way through or you'll get fustrated every time u hit the hard parts.

Take the bits that you can't play and break them up into manageable sections. Then play each part over and over until you can do it smoothly, and without any mistakes. Then slowly put each section together until you can play the solo from beginning to end.

Remember, trying to play something you can't play makes you better, so don't give up. If you can't play it now, keep trying. It will come eventually.