PDA

View Full Version : Need some help/direction

D2P2S
11-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Ive had a guitar for about 1 year now and I have been messing around with it, of and on. Im ready to get serious about learning and practicing the guitar. However im finding it very hard to find a place to start.

Ill start off with things I can do:
Hammer Ons
Pull Offs
Trills
Bend and Verbatto(sp?)
Read Tab
I can also play simple song like smoke on the water, iron man intro, seven nation army, and a couple others.

What im confused on?
Scales whats the use, concept etc,
Where to start in general and learning basic guitar play
Strumming patterns, rythm guitar, basic guitar concept.

I guess my problem is their is too many resources and methods its hard for me to pick a place to start. So if anyon has good resources to check out or sort of a ruff begineers path id it would be nice.

Thx in advance

David

forgottenking2
11-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Start Out right here!!

CHeck out Eric's articles on Picking and Guni's Theory that'll keep you busy for a while, by the time you're done with that you'll be a well rounded guitar player. Just be patient and practice a lot.

Regards,

Koala
11-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Welcome to IBM D2P2S!
Youve definitely come to the right place to start and develop. Here at IBM theres lots of articles on different topics you can go over, and theres the forums where you can ask any questions that come up, and 99% of the time youll get the answer youre looking for.

The techniques you mentioned are alright to start with, but as FK2 mentioned I too recommend you start out with Gunės articles so you start getting a hang of music.

Heres a link to the first one:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/learn/article/31

Take your time with it and other things will be a lot easier.

Again, welcome, and hopefully youll hang around!

Unhorizon
11-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Vibrato, I am just guessing its called that because you kind of vibrate the string, its Italian probably, because every funny looking word in music is italian.

hol0point
11-19-2003, 05:16 PM
I've been playing about 1 1/2 years. My understanding of theory all started with Guni's article Intervals the Key to Harmonic Understanding.. I read it about 4 times or until I understood every word. That ended up being the best possible first step for me and changed the way I look at music. Best advice I can give to a new guy like me is dont stress about learning everything at once. Consume yourself with the first step. Intervals and how they work.

D2P2S
11-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the replys guys, Ive spent a good amount of time reading the intervals article by Guni, I dont have everything down however I have a much better understasnding of music then I did a day ago. Thanks again for the advice its been a great help.

David

metaljustice83
11-20-2003, 03:50 AM
keep chuggin along, you might get a bit frustrated, just come back to Ibreathe and read an article to spark your playin, and to keep you calm