PDA

View Full Version : Playing Bass & Improving Guitar Skills?

Tune2B
11-18-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi everyone!
2 Quick questions:
1. Will playing bass help guitar skills as well ( I want to play guitar at the end, I am begginer its been 5 months since i started playing). I just love to play around with bass every once in a while. Play few song by Newsted. or do bass parts in songs that i like.
Will that help the guitar skills as well, or is it going to mess up everything since they are playing a bit differently?
2. Is it possible to use guitar amp for a bass guitar as well.

jov
11-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi!

I think playing bass will strengthen your fingers and it
forces you to practise longer stretches, so it will probably help
your guitar playing too.. but what is more important, in my
opinion, playing different instruments will definitely help your
musical skills.

Regards
jov

forgottenking2
11-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Hey there,

Playing bass will help you improve not just because of the fact that you have to stretch more, work on alternate picking, skip strings and what not, but it will also give you a better idea of how a bass should sound like... a lot of guitarists get sometimes so focused in their own instrument that when they write songs, they do intrincate lead parts that only very skilled guitarists would be able to perform but they leave the rhythm section absolutely plain (I know I did it, in one of my first songs the rhythm guitar and the bass did nothing but 8th notes throughout the whole thing) If you adventure to other instruments you'll get more in touch with them and your songwritting skills will improve. So my advice is go for it.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Koala
11-18-2003, 02:56 PM
Plus, youre going to feel so comfortable and agile when you grab a guitar thats lighter and smaller. I just love that effect lol :)
And it will definitely make you a well rounded player.

Thorsten
11-18-2003, 03:28 PM
...plus if you get a drum computer and a 4-track you can record your own demos and send them to record companys and get signed and become rich and famous and meet Cristina Aguilera and...;) never mind...

forgottenking2
11-18-2003, 03:30 PM
LOL LOL

Koala
11-18-2003, 04:08 PM
LOLOLOL!

Tune2B
11-18-2003, 08:43 PM
haha, yea i wish i that was possible.

so is it possible to use guitar amp that i have now ( crate gfx15 ) for bass as well?
or should i buy the cheapest bass amp i can find?

metaljustice83
11-20-2003, 03:54 AM
unless someone comes and corrects me, I WOULD NOT USE THE GUITAR AMP FOR A BASS AMP!!! you can use a bass amp for a guitar amp, but the guitar amp is not meant to take the bass frequencys on many level. The electronics can't take it, and the speaker can't take it, its not voiced to handle the bass. At least this is my understanding.

forgottenking2
11-20-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm not quite familiar with gear structure but I think you're right. You could fry a guitar amp if you try to play a bass through it... specially at high volumes... but like I said I'm no expert so I'll let the others explain the whys and hows.

Regards,

PAUL C/KX1722
11-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi Tune2B Ö Brazilian footballers have been using heavy (non-bouncy) medicine balls to hone their technique for years now. When it comes to playing with a standard ball, everything is a breeze for them. I suppose you could apply the same theory to practicing with a bass (as long as you donít strain yourself).

As your playing some Newsted stuff, he mainly follows the guitars anyway, so if you nail them first with a bass, I'm sure youíll be flying when you get back to your 6-string! I know a couple of people who play different stringed instruments & they never seem to have a problem adjusting from one to another, so donít worry Ė thereís no chance of you messing everything up.

Best of luck Ö Paul

Tune2B
11-20-2003, 08:29 PM
Ok im convinced. Im getting a bass for sure now.
well ebay.com here i come :D

Thanks alot guys! for comments and replies.

PAUL C/KX1722
11-21-2003, 02:54 PM
You could fry a guitar amp if you try to play a bass through it...

Do you know if this applys to playing guitar through an Octave pedal or a harmoniser too?

I've been working on some material where the bass plays a melody in a higher register & I stamp on my Octaver to nicely cover the gap of the low-end suddenly dropping out. It sounds really effective - but it's not worth frying my amp for. Anybody got any info? :confused:

Cheers ... Paul

Jo-
12-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Also, it will make you become a bass player which are always in demand... guitar players for bands are a dime a dozen. Now bassists on the other hand are in short supply.

mmansonreject
04-06-2005, 09:59 PM
unless someone comes and corrects me, I WOULD NOT USE THE GUITAR AMP FOR A BASS AMP!!! you can use a bass amp for a guitar amp, but the guitar amp is not meant to take the bass frequencys on many level. The electronics can't take it, and the speaker can't take it, its not voiced to handle the bass. At least this is my understanding.
i asked the same thing to a friend of mine, i almost blew her amp with my bass. now she say's that fender is the only good type of guitars. is this true?

Yes it does help. i started off with guitar then went to bass. i think that bass is a lot more fun to play than guitar

oRg
04-07-2005, 01:28 AM
You can play a bass through any kind of pedal you like but alot of the times you may not like the sound(s) you get. For example, I once experimented with playing a bass through the Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter pedal and it sounded horrible IMO. But ti doesn't hurt the pedal.

mattblack850
04-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I started on bass, then moved to guitar, now I play both (not at the same time though!!!!).

It's definately good for the following:-
Building strength in the fingers and hand,
Co-ordination,
Pick skills and/or finger-picking techniques,
Musicality and composition,
Finger stretching and lastly
Rythym/understanding drummers!!!!!!

tarpit
06-02-2006, 04:24 PM
As was mentioned ealier, you should keep the volume down when you play bass through a guitar amp. The reason for this is not the amp itself but the speakers, guitar speakers have different, high-ranged voicing, than bass speakers. They also have different voice coils and smalled magnets (usually).

The preamp and power section of the amp can take the signal just fine though. So depending on you amp, you could get a extenision cabnet with a bass speaker and run with that.

I often play bass through my marshall jcm 900 half stack with the 1960A 4x12. Without any reprecussions (yet, knock on wood). I just keep the volume down.

You are on the write track with getting into bass. I find that playing bass forces you to look at the entire arrangement and not just focus on the guitar. You will probably find yourself writing simplier/tighter guitar phrases that will lock in better with rythm. This will let the song "breathe" and just sound thicker for the feeling that you are going for.

Keep on rockin' :cool:

Poparad
06-02-2006, 07:44 PM
A bass will not blow a guitar amp. You will end up with a thin, treble sound to the signal, but you pose no harm to the amp. The exact same speakers are used in guitar and bass amps. Most guitar amps have 12" speakers, and many bass combos use those as well, although larger bass amps tend to have 15" speakers or combinations of sizes.

The only difference between a bass amp and a guitar amp is the output frequency that the signal is voiced for.