PDA

View Full Version : Something about metronom?

Joćo Paulo
07-30-2002, 12:45 PM
Hey someone could help with this please....
How can i use that?

Schnautze
07-30-2002, 02:37 PM
Hi!!

I don't know what do you mean exactly, but a metronome is to make sure you're in time.

It depends how is your metronome, mine is the classic german one, you have to turn it like an old clock (don't need a battery), then adjust the bpm (beats per minute) and it starts like a clock, beating. Other more fancy models are electronic, and you just need a battery and then you select the bpm you want.

Hope this helps...

Schnautze

Joćo Paulo
07-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks!

My metronome is here in my computer... so thanks, you help me a lot, but when i will or can use the metronome? And how bpm can i use for rock, country, blues, ......
Can i use when im studing? scales, arpeggios, improvisation......?
(sorry, my bad english)

szulc
07-31-2002, 01:22 AM
You use the metronome to count and keep track of your progress as you learn new things. It is a way of measuring the tempo you can cleanly execute a given exercise or piece at.

You set the metronome at a slow tempo to work on a passage and write down the setting that you can execute the line. Then gradually you increase the tempo and track your progress.

Music is meant to be played IN TIME, the metronome forces you to do this.

Schnautze
07-31-2002, 08:13 AM
Yep, that's the good definition.

It is actually pretty interesting this topic because I recently started using it one year ago only. I didn't use it when I was studying classical guitar, and that's probably the reason I am a bad classical guitar player!!:rolleyes:

Now I use the metronome even in the WC.... I think it's a very important tool.

The same as Szulc:

When you play an exercise or a tune or whatever. Set your metronome to a speed you think you feel confortable with, then play the song and make sure you do it WITHOUT any mistake (has to be perfect), if it is not perfect slow down the tempo and start again until you play that tune without mistakes and perfectly , even if it's so damm slow that you fall asleep while playing, and then you can increase the tempo gradually . No, seriously if you take this "method" of practising you actually will be able to play songs and tunes that look "impossible". This is very important regarding sight reading technique.

Szulc, do you think is good to ALWAYS practice with the metronome, or sometimes it's better not using it?

Good luck!!

szulc
07-31-2002, 10:53 AM
I think it is useful to play without it as well. Once you have enough of the piece down, so you can play it in time.

Joćo Paulo
07-31-2002, 12:12 PM
Yes, teach me a lot guys...

But i dont understand the bpm, what can you say szulc? The ways to pick with BPM. How i will pick with bpm? To follow the correct form.

I use to speed of my right or left hand?

Schnautze
You said you dont used the metronome in classical guitar, can i use? To fingers...

Thank you.

Joćo Paulo
08-14-2002, 12:39 AM
Hi!

Can i use the metronomo to improvise?

I guess yes.... but how? :confused:

szulc
08-14-2002, 01:02 AM
It doesn't matter what you play with the metronome the idea is to keep good time. You want to play in time, don't you? You want to improvise in time, don't you? So use the metronome. If you don't care about playing in time don't bother, but then if you don't care about playing in time, what is the point of playing?

Music has two main components, melody (note choices) and rhythm (time). Rhythm with out note choices is not really music, it is just rhythm, and note choices with out trhythm is not really music it is just notes. It is the synergy between these two components that create beautiful music.

Bongo Boy
08-15-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Joćo Paulo
But i dont understand the bpm, what can you say szulc? The ways to pick with BPM. How i will pick with bpm?

Example: strumming chords to a beat, and moving from one chord to another in time with a beat.

I use to speed of my right or left hand?
Both hands must move to the beat, right?

You said you dont used the metronome in classical guitar, can i use?
Yes--use for practising with ANY instrument, I think.

Joćo Paulo
08-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Ok, Thanks.

szulc
08-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Beats Per Minute

Joćo Paulo
08-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Yeah, i know...

In portuguese (Brasil) its: BPM - batidas por minuto

Simoes
09-27-2002, 05:44 PM
What about the "Internal Metronome?" or having the time INSIDE?
(Hi Joćo I“m Brazilian too)

EricV
09-27-2002, 06:05 PM
If you“re born with it... consider yourself blessed.
If you are not, and you wanna improve it, a metronome is a great tool to do so, too...
Eric

Guni
09-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Simoes
What about the "Internal Metronome?" or having the time INSIDE? Hi Simoes and welcome to our forums ;)

Yep, I think everybody has some kind of internal metronome and timing, which needs to be explored and developed.

I also think that this has a lot to do with culture. Here in Europe we grow up with a very limited use of rhythms and its possibilities to express feelings. Berklee gave me a complete new insight .... I got hooked to all the Latin stuff, Bossa, Samba, etc ..... This is when I really envied guys like you from Brazil who grow up with these rhythms.

I once read that the first 6 years of a human life define his/her musicality depending on what music (if at all) a kid is exposed to. The rest needs to be worked on. I don't know if this is scientifically proven but to me this does make sense.

Guni