PDA

View Full Version : Ericv

Freakshow
10-20-2003, 04:16 AM
I am as new a newbie as they come, and have a question? My best friend passed on awhile back and his parents gave me his Mesa boogie amp a whole bunch of effects stuff and a guitar with Vandenberg on it. If I remember right is this dudes name Adrian or is it the Eric that posts here? He and Vai played with Whitesnake together.......Right? Just wondering! The guitar is a Peavey!

Shred Fan
10-20-2003, 06:48 AM
To my knowledge Eric never played in Whitesnake. I did find it extremely ironic that he played a Vandenberg guitar though. :D

Koala
10-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Hey Freakshow, welcome to IBM. Im sure Eric wouldve answered but hes currently fullfilling his IBM ambassador role at Jem Fest!

EricV
10-20-2003, 02:38 PM
LOL... hey, Iīm back from JemFest... that was on Sat. ( heh... ambassador... I posted a pic from the workshop... I was wearing the Ibreathe-tee, so yeah, ambassador is about right :) )
But the other guys answered the question already...

But here I go:
1. I am NOT Adrian Vandenberg, who played in Whitesnake, and also released a few albums as "Vandenberg" ( early 80s ) and Manic Eden. I am not related to him either :)

2. I do use some of the original peavey Vandenberg signature guitars... simply because I like them lots, they sound and play great, and the name on the headstock is kinda... well.. ironic. Most people do know that itīs not MY signature guitar, and if I get asked, I tell em about Adrian...

3. Those guitars indeed are modded heavily

4. If you want more info about the Peavey Vandenberg signature, check out www.geocities.com/vandenberget

Thanks for the replies and the website-plug, guys !
Eric

Freakshow
10-21-2003, 01:05 AM
I was worried the post was a little lame since I am a fuzz young for the Vandenberg/Vai/Whitesnake gig. The little I read and the knowledge Ericv seems to have all at a snapshot seemed to make sense. Rock on all, and I hope to learn tons from you vets!

Freakshow
10-23-2003, 02:02 AM
I agree adjdowton, "Passion and Warfare".........when I really get into it............no lie............I get misty eyed. It will always be a Holy Grail to me.

EricV
10-23-2003, 10:47 AM
http://www.ericvandenberg.com/html/thought4.html

:)

Shaman_Santana
10-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Thats it, im gonna buy it. :)

When i first heard FTLOG, i loved the melodys and everything, but kinda felt Steve ruined it a bit, kinda like he was showing off his chops once the song got past the slower beggining. However, after listening to it more, n seeing him do it live on that G3 DVD, i've really really warmed to it to the point where id agree with Eric's opinion of it as being one of the greatest ever instrumentals. It is pure emotion.

As far as the Passion and Warfare albums goes, im gonna buy it next time i go out. :)

Freakshow
10-24-2003, 11:55 PM
EricV I have often wondered how that album tickles a persons soul who can mentally comprehend what he's doing technically. I was always like wow beautiful fast part, the whole time, textured in almost nuturing rhythms. I'm getting out of my musical vocab range here, but my point is there is a relatively small amount of people (that i've noticed at least) that seem to really, really "get it" or appreciate it anyway. For awhile I was so attached to that disc, I think I've probably boughten at least 6 copies of it thus far.
Question to fellow Vai nuts! Does anyone know where to listen to this supposedly unplayable song Vai played in an orchestra, I guess some Oriental composer wrote it and the powers to be, led him to Vai? Did he ever release it?

Freakshow
10-25-2003, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I originally read about that on Vai's site, and I thought he said it would be available somewhere....sometime, but I'm probably wrong. B.T.W. if you read Vai's diary on his site there are alot of funny anecdotal stories. Quite fun to hear about his past transgressions.

EricV
10-25-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Freakshow
EricV I have often wondered how that album tickles a persons soul who can mentally comprehend what he's doing technically. I was always like wow beautiful fast part, the whole time, textured in almost nuturing rhythms. I'm getting out of my musical vocab range here, but my point is there is a relatively small amount of people (that i've noticed at least) that seem to really, really "get it" or appreciate it anyway.

Hey there... interesting question. One thing I love about this album is that you get way more than just one of those "shred-records". The guitar, or rather, the shredding isn īt focussed on as much as on other guitar albums.
P&W, to me, is much more about songwriting, arrangements, textures, layers and melody. There sure are great licks on there ( fast stuff in, say, "Audience Is Listening", "I Would Love To" ) etc., but this record is just a multi-dimensional piece of art.
Compare it to many of those Shrapnel-shred-albums. No, there is NOTHING WRONG with those, I dig a lot of those records.
But P&W, to me, is something completely different, has more dimensions ( if ya get what I mean ), and although itīs absolutely FULL OF guitars, guitar stuff and overdubs, itīs never like "Here are my favorite licks".
Another way to put this: With other instrumental records, I always was like "Cool, lemme grab my guitar and learn that song, or figure out that lick".
I never really learned a song from P&W ( I did play FTLOG a few times though, but I went for my own improvisations after the main theme ), cuz to me, this one wasnīt about licks... I listened to it, it inspired me, motivated me, but I cared more about the big picture, the whole thing, not about one specific song or lick
Iīm rambling, ainīt I
Eric

Freakshow
10-27-2003, 04:33 AM
Isn't rambling fun, such a sign of a good album/disc. In a way it's being speechless.(to me at least) Vai is why I love guitar. I have such fond memories of going downtown and scouring the stores for Vai stuff. I think I was twelve and found a copy of "Flexible" on record, I was (in my mind) the ****. I had a relic noone knew about or could appreciate.........so I thought back then anyway. Then "Passion", messed me up....REALLY BAD!

B.T.W. I've been to your site Eric and when I get wireless will be downloading your stuff, can't wait to hear. Dial-up stinks for tunes!

shineon112001
01-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know where you can get a copy of this piece done by Steve Vai ie, Fire Strings.I have been trawling the net for thelast couple of hours and have found nothing.Even the Conductors own website in Japan...but zilch!:confused:
Thank you.