PDA

View Full Version : spanish fly ...

d7th
07-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Can anyone play Spanish Fly, this amazing song of Mr. Eddie Van Halen ? There are some things ( a lot in fact ) i'm curious to know on how to play this song and how to make it sound (that's THE thing :P )

d7th
07-26-2002, 10:20 PM
Oh and I forgot ... Hi everyone :)
I'm glad to have found this site... it's really a great site IMO.

Guni
07-27-2002, 02:13 PM
Hi d7th and welcome!!!

I never worked on that solo piece - just had a listen and it's really damn cool. If I get the time I'll have a closer look at what Eddie is doing there......

Anyone who worked on that song?

Guni

EricV
07-27-2002, 07:12 PM
Hi there,

I did work on that tune. Being a big Eddie-fan, I always wanted to learn it... it took me a while to figure it out, but then it kinda worked.
Being the uninventive guy I am, I quoted parts of it in my big guitar-solo when I was still in my metal-band ( like 10 years ago or so ).
I still play it sometimes, and itīs a neat thing to work on left-hand stretching.
Although I almost got tendonitis from it back then... stretch from the 2nd to the 6th fret on the A-string at high speed... on an acoustic guitar...
What are your questions ?
Warm regards
Eric

d7th
07-27-2002, 10:56 PM
Before i ask some questions i have to check some vocabulary in my dictionary :D ...

EricV
07-27-2002, 10:58 PM
OK, take your time, then go ahead ;)

d7th
07-29-2002, 11:14 AM
I've got a friend who got an official tab of the song but i'm not sure of the end of the transcription (if you use guitar pro I can send it to you).

The left-hand stretching is not the real problem I've got on this song (except when you've got to stretch from the 2nd to the 7th fret on the A string on the end), the tapping parts are ok. I've got some troubles to make the non tapping part (the middle of the song) sound right, when Eddie plays it, it lives. When i play it it almost dies ... even if I play it slowly, I can't get what I want. I have some trouble to hit the string with enough strengh (Eddie hit the string really hard here).
I could say that it's because I have a crapy acoustic guitar (what is true :D ) but I don't think that it is the reason (I can play Beat It on a 150 euros guitar). It might also be the string (I don't know what gauge I have right now and the strings are old), or how I handle my pick, I handle like Eddie when I play tapping and with the index and the thumb. When i handle it like Eddie I can hit the string with more strengh but it's not very comfortable.

Well that's all folks :)

EricV
07-29-2002, 11:24 AM
Hi there,

well, what weīve got here is a perfect case of the "sound of a player"-thing. Thatīs what I noticed when I worked on the "Beat It"-Solo and other stuff by Eddie years ago...
It might not be that hard to duplicate the runs, licks and effects, but to get them to sound the way they do when Eddie plays them is the tough part.
This is true for other players, too.
But anyway:
What I did was: I worked on certain parts for hours, playing them over and over until I was able to play them almost with no effort. I was kinda bored of it, thatīs the effect I wanted to achieve.
Then I was able to work on the tone, details like attack etc. What you shoudl try is: lighten up with the left hand and add more attack with the right. A good idea would be to try "digging in" with your pick, meaning: use more of the pick, not only the very tip. The more of the pick you use, the louder it gets, although it will eventually take away some speed.
So take one small fragment from the section youīre working on, and play it over and over till you can do it pretty much flawlessly, then start to focus on the attack of the right hand.
Whatīs even more impressive is that Eddie usually uses very thin picks. In the late 80īs and early 90īs, he used a very thin .27-pick, and I think he even did so in 1978/79 when this was recorded. I am not sure whether he used a thin pick like that for this tune, but knowing heīs a "if it works, donīt fix it" kinda dude, this might be the case.
I hope this helps
Eric

NP: Tim Pierce- Guitarland

d7th
07-29-2002, 11:42 AM
It will help :) thx