PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 Help !!

CATS
10-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Hopefully Iíve found the right place here for some much needed advice!!

Although I know my guitar & studio inside-out, Iím a bit of a techno-phobe when it comes to PCs/Internet etc. Iíve recently found this forum & checking out various members personal websites has really inspired me to get Ďround to building my own. Iíve had a look a couple of FREE ad supported sites & easily followed the instructions on how to start a home page with text, images & links to other pages. NO PROBLEM.

I experimented a bit with free Angelfire pages & everything was great (attaching artwork, photos etc.) until I tried to attach an MP3 > I then found out I had to Ďupgradeí & pay a fee for this privilege. Is this the norm? I donít mind paying, but Iíd rather experiment with a free site & make sure Iíve found the right site to build from before making any sort of commitment > Is it possible to attach my MP3s to any form of free personal webspace & if so, where should I go?

Things were going so smoothly but I feel a bit deflated at the moment, as I canít seem to find the advice I need. As you can imagine, any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this thread will be of benefit to others too. Thank you > CATS.

EricV
10-19-2003, 01:12 PM
AFAIK, itīs normal... I heard geocities and other free providers do it as well... I guess itīs some attempt to prevent people from sharing copyrighted stuff... also, I guess those providers would like to keep file-sizes low.
Have you checked out www.mp3.com ? I think you can still upload and share stuff there for free... There also is that IUMA-site... I saw lots of people share their songs through that site...
Hope this helps
Eric

szulc
10-19-2003, 01:23 PM
You can link to an mp3 hosted on your own computer!
Either via Http or Ftp.

CURT #3000
10-19-2003, 02:49 PM
CATS, Iím in a similar situation with matters like this. I tried out the Angelfire builder that you mentioned but it only supports WAV files for free webspace. Unfortunately, Iíve just learnt (!) that WAVS are way too large for the allocated space you are given, so the only way around this is to upgrade for MP3. As Eric mentioned Ė with copyrighting, keeping low file sizes etc., it makes sense that youíd probably have to pay for a service like this wherever you go.

Iíll be using Angelfire pages as a sort of on-line supplement for my students & although my pages are looking great & suit my needs at the moment, Iím gonna want to attach my own personal MP3s quite soon. I like the way Thorsten & others have included old 4-track analogue & new digital recordings & Iíd like to do a similar thing with my own site/audio page. Should I upgrade & pay a fee with Angelfire or could anybody recommend another (maybe more reputable) site I should build my pages from (?).

Bear in mind, the sooner we get some good advice going on this thread, the sooner youíll all be able to have a good laugh at my guitar playing!! CHEERS Ö CURT

(SZULC, Sounds interesting but how do we link to an MP3 on our own PC? Is there a code or something we tap in when we edit our pages? Does our PC have to be ON to allow a download? Excuse my ignorance on this topic - if it's not too compicated, some more info would really be appreciated. CHEERS .. CURT).

Anubis
10-20-2003, 06:25 PM
I don't know much about this so I don't know if I can be much of a help. Through my DSL connection I hav 10 mb free web space.
I also use a Swedish site that allows me to store 20 mb
That site will probably only work for people in Sweden though.

I have seen some people use this site for uploading and sharing files.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Common/My_Planet/my_planet.phtml

http://www.freewebs.com/ is also a free site that allows you to store quite a lot for free. Only problem is the site is painfully slow to download from.