PDA

View Full Version : A Decent Song To Play

Tune2B
10-09-2003, 11:56 PM
Hi guys,
I finally got around to learn my 2nd song. Its a solo played by Jason Newsted in cunning stunts ( I played it with electric guitar not bass) Still sounds good. Well atleast to me. I wanted to know what do u guys think about it. Is it good enough to be played for others ...Small or big crowd, family or friends. If it was played for you would u like it? Is the tempo ok? faster ? Slower?
Song#2 - Bass Solo Played With Guitar (http://www.sfu.ca/~bbahrami/myrec/2003/oct-9-solo_jason_newsted.mp3)
Any feedback is welcome.
Cheers

p.s. if u like this song and want to play it let me know, i've got the tab, its pretty easy.

Schooligo
10-10-2003, 06:01 AM
"I wanted to know what do u guys think about it. Is it good enough to be played for others ...Small or big crowd, family or friends. If it was played for you would u like it? Is the tempo ok? faster ? Slower?"

Hi,

well first off I think it takes courage to record yourself & then have anyone, especially your peers critique it, so way to go!!! :)

If you enjoy this song/solo & enjoy playing this, then your enjoyment of this piece when performing & sharing it with others will likely influence your audience in a positive way.

As to your specific recording which I downloaded, here's my observations:

I like your tone for this recording, effects, etc.

I like the melody

the timing to me sounds questionable, but since I'm not familiar with this song/solo to be as objective as I think it is important to be, I need to hear the Powertab file for this part.

&/or could you record this so that we could hear you playing to a metronome or click track?

Tune2B
10-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Hey Schooligo
Thanks for responding. First of all, I want to know what do you mean by timing. I know something can improve to make this better... relates to how to play it not changing notes but just cant point to it. I tried different tempo, played around but this is the best so far. Let me know what do u mean by timing .
Also I dont think there is any power tab for this. Even the normal tab is rare because its not even a song in any album, just something jason played after the concert. The warm up song for my friend of misery heh.
But I really liked it so tried to copied. Obviously he plays it way smoother than me, also he plays some part just bit slower. Also i made a very small change so it sounds better.
secondly, I have no clue what metronome or click track is.
Let me know what I have to do for those.
Thanks again for taking the time.

p.s. I can send u the original song, the way jason played it as well if u want just let me know.

timeless
10-10-2003, 08:28 PM
For me it sounds very good, but much more I can't say about it because I'm just a beginner.
But a question tune2B, did you start with learning the chords first or did you already try some songs that you like and practise them a lot.

Bongo Boy
10-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. I agree with the comments made already about 'is it good enough to play for others'. But that's really not the question, I don't think--Eric talked just recently about playing for an audience when, as he looks back on it, he probably "wasn't that good". My point is, playing for someone else will help you learn how to play for someone else--even if it doesn't do anything else. That's worth it, I think.

Very few beginner folks here have recorded and posted their material--you know, folks who didn't have several years of experience. So...I really commend you (and again, thank you) for that.

I liked it, and I'd like to learn it myself, so the TAB would be appreciated. I am a rank beginner, but to my ear you did a great job in terms of tone. I mean, my ear doesn't hear any problems at all with fretting mistakes, noisy strings, etc. I'm impressed.

If you didn't record this using a metronome or click track of some kind, I recommend you play it again just as before, but with that one change (without recording the click track, of course). If you in fact did not use a metronome, then once you think you have it nailed using one, record and post again, won't you please?

Nice job.

Tune2B
10-11-2003, 03:38 AM
Hi again guys.
Thanks for the kind and usefull reponds.
First to answer timeless:
I didnt really spend time on chords. Now I am JUST A BIT. But I downloaded my favourite songs and started playing them without even knowing the name of the chords. See the songs I play are easy solos. No chord time, so strumming is not a matter. It is actually easy. you just got to train yourself to keep up with the speed of the song. Its note by note. I keep trying chords but cant get anything out of it.. still trying however :rolleyes:

Bongo Boy, Thanks for the comments
here is the tab Right Click And Then Save as... (http://www.sfu.ca/~bbahrami/jasons_bass_solo.txt)

BUT PLEASE some1 tell me what metronome and click track is. All I do for recording is connect my amp to computer with speaker output chord ( I have crate gfx-15 ) if u wondering. open the cooledit, play the song few times and choose the best one.

p.s. if you want to play this it really helps if u have the song or video. If you want that too I can arrange that just let me know.
Cheers

Bongo Boy
10-11-2003, 02:54 PM
A metronome is any device that produces an audible 'click' sound at a selectable tempo, used by a musician during practice to keep a regular beat. The oldest designs use a wind-up spring like a mechanical alarm clock, and an inverted pendulum that has a weight mounted on it that can be slid up or down the length of the pendulum rod to change the tempo (see picture below).

New metronomes are electronic, and can include a strobe light as well for a visible pulse as an alternative to an audible click. Many models also include alternatives to a single, one-click-per beat operation--they include a large number of user-selectable rhythms.

A 'click track' just refers to a pre-recorded track of clicks that can be used during practice recordings. Digital multi-track recorders often include a metronome function, and you don't actually have to record the metronome as a recording track at all.

Here's a site that includes a large number of metronomes just so you can see what they look like:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/commerce/command/cCategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=1&cgrfnbr=814&topcat=2&drilldown=4

Also, for a free online metronome, go to www.metronomeonline.com and try it out.

And here is a picture of the older style--a style you may have seen before on top of a piano or in a store:

cozimnot
10-11-2003, 03:09 PM
If you don't own an electronic tuner, you can buy an electronic tnuer built into a metronome. I've always wanted an older style'd metronome, but they are much too expensive :(

Bongo Boy
10-11-2003, 04:51 PM
As a first exercise, you might try to fire up the online metronome and set it to the tempo you used to do your recording. Then, with just the online metronome clicking in the background, practice the same solo.

You might also open up the Help menu in CoolEdit and search for 'metronome'...I'm not familiar with that software, but it may have one. If not, I'd expect you could find a MIDI click track somewhere that you can use with CoolEdit as a backing track.

I THINK your recording is around 90-100 bpm...it would really help ME if others would provide their estimates too.

szulc
10-11-2003, 06:22 PM
What these guys are trying to tell you is that you are not playing this through "IN TIME".
What does "IN TIME" mean?
It means that music has a regular pulse or beat that the music follows. This is a steady beat or pulse that the music is played to.
The metronome gives you the ability to practice with a steady beat.
I don't know which string (I think G) but it is not in tune.

I have never heard this but I can tell that it is not played in tme.

You need to decide for yourself what level of embarrassment you are willing to accept by playing in front of others.

Most people can tell if something is not in time.
So play for others and test their reaction, some are going to like it and others are going to tell you it sucks. That is just the way it is!
You could wait a little while and practice with a metronome or drum track and then play this in front of others and you will still get the same results except mabe less of the "you suck" part.

Bravo for recording this and posting it! I suggest metronome practice prior to public exposure. Don't be discouraged keep playing as long as it gives you pleasure!

Tune2B
10-11-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks Bongo Boy!
Now I know what you guys are talking about. I played around with the free software online a bit. I have seen something like it before but because I dont like it, atleast now, Ignored it. I know I need that thing someday tho. I've seen guitarist talk about it alot. Not just guitarist, musicians in general.
For now I am just going to keep playing playing until I get the "timing" right. I put the original song and play along with it. Thats what I did last night and It got alot better.
Now I am practicing some part of Fade to Black along with it. That song is very fun to play with fingers. I suck at it right now but I really enjoy playing with fingers.
Anyway thanks again guys.

Bongo Boy
10-12-2003, 05:29 AM
...so what tune was this solo from?

Tune2B
10-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Bongo Boy
...so what tune was this solo from?
You mean where it was played?
It was in CUNNING STUNTS VIDEO By Metallica - Bass Solo.

Bongo Boy
10-12-2003, 11:00 PM
No...I wanted to know if this solo was part of a song that had a name.

Tune2B
10-13-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Bongo Boy
No...I wanted to know if this solo was part of a song that had a name.

I think I mentioned this. This is not a part of the song. It cant be find anywhere in any albums. Just somethign jason played after the show. He played this then he started playing my friend of misery, then he left. ( lars and james had already left, only him and kirk on stage)

Bongo Boy
10-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Yeah, you did. Sorry!