PDA

View Full Version : Performing nerves

Ads
10-05-2003, 12:53 PM
No matter who I play to even my own teacher! I get a bit nervous this can sometime affect my playing. Is it because Im new and not confident enough? Can anyone give any tips?

potshot
10-06-2003, 05:01 AM
I get nervous when I play to my teacher as well. There was a thread around here a while back about breathing techniques. It might sound a little silly, but it seems a lot of people (definitely me) tend to hold their breath when they're playing something that's pushing their capabilities, or they're nervous. And when you do actually breathe properly, things are smoother and easier.

So try paying a bit of attention to your breathing when you're playing, make yourself breathe smoothly, and you might relax a bit. I think Eric was the one talking about breathing, so maybe he can say more.

LarryJ
10-06-2003, 05:50 AM
You always will be nervous. It's a fact of life. The secret is just not to look nervous. If you practice a part enough where you can nail it, even without looking, you will have the confidence to breeze through it. Also realize if you mess up, nobody but you will probably notice, keep going and you'll be fine, much better than stopping and making a funny face or something.

A few other things to consider. Try taking some classes in public speaking, or 'drama club' or whatever you can to get out in front of people. They're all connected, and will teach you alot how to react in front of an audience. Pretty soon that sick feeling in your stomache will start to be fun, I relate it to the feeling going on a roller coaster.

There are some good articles on the site by Jaime I believe on this topic. Just remember, the more you practice the better you'll do, it gets better each time you play in front of someone. If you have to play easy stuff. People will appreciate AC/DC just as much as they might Yngwie or someone, and you'll be able to play it much easier. I long ago realized guitar wasn't about what you can play, but what you can play well. If you practice something and can play it impressivly, thats all that counts, speed and technical difficulty comes later, sometimes the easy stuff rocks just as hard. Just my .02

-Larry

Ads
10-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks everyone

Ads
10-06-2003, 05:05 PM
can anyone recommend any good classical pieces where the musical sheets are available free from the net.?

Ads
10-06-2003, 05:13 PM
and who has msn?