PDA

View Full Version : to play or not to play

xenor
10-02-2003, 07:05 PM
What do you think about playing in a large gig, satisfyng the crowd but not play the songs that you are crazy for?

Oceano
10-02-2003, 07:13 PM
What is the money like?

EricV
10-02-2003, 07:36 PM
Well, thatīs always a question... sticking to your own taste ( playing songs you like and enjoy to play ) or playing what you think the crowd will like.
Of course you might play the songs you actually like with a bit more conviction, more energy, but hey... believe me, itīs great to play some classic tune and have the crowd respond to that... it muight make it very enjoyable to play the song.
Last year, I did some impromptu gig, and we decided to play "Comfortably Numb" and "Hey Joe"... well, the latter I have played so often that itīs not like I HAVE to play it... if you know what I mean. Letīs just say I would have preferred to play a different tune instead.
But we played "Hey Joe", and did some fun-stuff... extended solos with me walking around among the audience ( long cable ), lots of silly posing... and the crowd really liked it... and that made the song more fun to play... suddenly, everyone put in some extra effort and it actually did rock.
Never underestimate the effects of a well-responding crowd :)
Eric

xenor
10-03-2003, 07:18 PM
well... I didn't really thinked about the money but let's say that it's not much... I think it will be lots fun fun like eric says... You can play your own songs but no one will know and sing them with you even it's a masterpiece...

Bongo Boy
10-08-2003, 03:10 AM
I've never performed and probably never will, but I have an opinion of every damn thing, as we all know.

I'd say the opportunity to perform with a band for money would be an opportunity to learn something, even if it's just learning more about working with other band members. Maybe it's an opportunity to try a slightly different role in the band than usual, or to explore adding some interest to those tunes without morphing them beyond the crowd's expectations.

Got anything more fun on your calendar?

xenor
10-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Bongo Boy

Got anything more fun on your calendar?

I guess I don't have.