PDA

View Full Version : Tabs of harmonic/melodic minor

flathead
09-24-2003, 02:22 AM
Don't know if this will be of any use to anyone but I tabbed the the harmonic minor and melodic minor scales in 3 NPS format in all positions of the fretboard. The key is 'A' harmonic minor and 'A' melodic minor. The harmonic minor is below ( A harmonic minor equals--- A, B, C, D, E, F, G# or A natural minor with a raised seventh)

flathead
09-24-2003, 02:23 AM
and here is the melodic minor in key of A. 'A' melodic minor equals A, B, C, D, E, F#, G#

Zatz
09-25-2003, 10:08 AM
flathead,

Good contribution. Useful info.

Thanks,
Zatz.

szulc
09-25-2003, 11:11 AM
HM:
Think Aeolian with raised 7th.

MM:
Think Dorian with Raised 7th.

There is really no need to tab these out specifically if you just modify (in your head) two scales you already know. It is really more practical to do it this way.

You should know the major scale and it's modes cold.
So just changing one note, should be easier than memorizing a new fingering.

Zatz
09-25-2003, 11:41 AM
szulc,

methodologically I agree with you - one should minimize the number of his wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-play patterns and 'move from familiar to the unfamiliar'. This is very right.

Still most people (including myself) get to know harmonic pattern long before they start to fell free about playing modes all over the fretboard and I guess it's quite a natural way - especially for those who learn music by themselves without having any formal training.

Zatz.

Shaman_Santana
09-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Cheers flathead much appreciated :)