PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Greg Howe-album, soundfiles

EricV
09-20-2003, 09:33 AM
Hey guys,

I was just informed that the official Greg Howe site ( http://www.greghowe.com ) is being redone ( finally ! ). Also, there are some MP3-clips from the upcoming Greg Howe / Dennis Chambers / Victor Wooten album available there.
Check them out, awesome-sounding stuff
Eric

phantom
10-10-2003, 08:08 AM
Hi eric,

thanks for the link! great stuff!

this guy is one of my favorites - just love his playing, great tone, sweet vibrato and perfect control. amazing.

have you checked out the OHM cd of chris poland? he's another favorite of me. if you haven't heard it check it out here:

http://www.chrispoland.com/index_broad.html

you might like it..:)

phantom
10-20-2003, 11:37 AM
wow!!

cool line up! skolnick was my god during testament times.
Friedman was cool (up to his last album). and Poland is amazing anyway. i saw him with his damn the machine project supporting dream theater. his leads sounded like they were keyboard played - such an odd but beautiful phrasing this guy has...

anyone knows if they only tour the usa or if they might come to germany as well?

it was bad enough to miss the G3 this year... :(

Jason Macedo
10-21-2003, 12:45 AM
greg howe lick in powertab enjoy later jason ps some of greg cool like and ideas

Jason Macedo
10-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Greg Howe new cd kick *** it is great did you guy like the greg lick later jason

sbadham
10-23-2003, 03:25 PM
The new Greg album sounds great. I am interested to hear what he has done to update the 'Delicacy' from Now Hear this (Howe II) and 'Proto cosmos'....that old Holdsworth fav....plus the new tracks of course!

Just finished writing and transcribing a load of licks from 'Greg Howe' and 'Introspection' from my up and coming Greg Howe feature for the Essential guitarist website. While doing this it struck me just how easy it is to overlook the musicality of Mr Howe.

IMO Greg has evolved into perfect example of a contemporary musician\guitarist...someone who has the ability to play the perfect phrase in any musical situation\genre without sacrificing taste or melody. The chops are just a bonus.

Si.

Jason Macedo
10-26-2003, 02:08 PM
ERIC WHAT DO YOU THINK GREGS BEST SONG IS I PLAY THE TERRACE ALOT AND JUMP START ,BUTTON UP ,

EricV
10-26-2003, 02:31 PM
I really really like "Song For Rachelle", "Portrait", "Jump Start", "Heat Activated".
I think his most jaw-dropping lead is in "Direct Injection"...
Warm regards
Eric

Jason Macedo
10-26-2003, 02:36 PM
ya they great songs too he cant play anything wrong greg howe rules .what style do you play eric

EricV
10-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Id call my style instrumental rock, not fusion or anything. I guess style-wise its more in the style of guys like Satriani or Timmons, not very Howe-like.
Main influences would be: Satriani, Timmons, EVH, Morse, Howe, Garsed, Gilbert, Jeff Beck, Gilmour, Vai... in no particular order :)
So even though my music isnt really similar to Howes, style-wise, hes an influence.
How about you ?
Eric

sbadham
10-26-2003, 10:02 PM
Hmmm....'Style' is right up there with 'phrasing' in the impossible to explain. I saw an Episode of Arthur C Clarke's 'amazing mysteries' once where he tried to explain it and failed miserably (hehe...just kidding...and he couldn't play for ****). Anyway, over the years I have though a lot about style, what it is and where it comes from...here's my fag packet notion.

Style is either innate (i.e. born with it) or developed. Good examples of this would be Blues Saraceno (who had style form the minute he popped out of his Mothers clacker) and Paul Gilbert (who has developed it over many years, and in my opinion... is still developing it....I feel a can opener and some worms coming on).

For those of us non famous guitar players, style, is a case of being drawn to certain 'sounds' and finding players who use those 'sounds' for inspiration. This can be on a large scale where millions of people are attracted to a certain 'sound' i.e...Eddie Van Halen, or on a much smaller 'best guitarist you've never heard of' scale...i.e. Greg Howe.

From a personal point of view, I listen to all types of music and hear the 'sounds' I like in many different styles...Charlie Parker, Harry Connick Junior, Thomas Newman, Reb Beach, John Petrucci, Shawn Lane etc...

The point is...I take small elements from each of the musicians I enjoy and apply a little bit of them into my playing. Because this is absorbed into my own 'style' it ends up being very individual to me, and sounding nothing like the artist who originally inspired me.

Does that make sense? haha...I talk a lot of **** sometimes.

Thanks Eric V for raising that question (intentionally or not hehe)....this is what forums are all about... I reckon.

Anyone know the difference between a guitarist and a musician?, is Seinfeld funny?, does Posh Spice take it in the tradesman's entrance?

Si.

Jason Macedo
10-27-2003, 01:30 AM
HEY SIMON ,this is your bro I enjoy that chat on phone today like always.I have to say you rule you know your stuff . I think style is just word I play from the heart and so do you Derryl ,Greg,Andy,and the late Shawn Lane,soul soul passon in music thats why i like Gregs playing so much you once said about my playing once ,PLAYING FAST IS USELESS WITH OUT HEART AND CONTROL KNOWING WHEN TO PLAY SLOW THEN FAST GREG IS SO GREAT AT THAT .THE TERRACE IS ONE OF HIS GREAT HEART SONGS.PASSON RULES .Jason

sbadham
11-11-2003, 01:33 PM
The new Greg Howe site is up fella's.

www.greghowe.com

Cheers Si.