PDA

View Full Version : Let's open the Bass thread up.

Malcolm
10-18-2015, 04:02 AM
As this section has been inactive since sometime in 2014 thought I'd get a new post going. If there are any bottom dwellers out there that would like to jump in, please do.

I play a 4 string P Yamaha bass with flats and foam. And a no line fretless Rogue with flats and foam. No line was a mistake I need the fret markers to keep me from moving out of tune. Will take it back into the public after I add some fret decals. Suggestions welcomed.

ragasaraswati
10-18-2015, 04:39 PM
I agree that fret markers are really convenient. After all, the goal is to glide into notes but the notes themselves have to be in-tune. Maybe an experienced bassist with no fret markers on his bass has the bragging right but the sonic result is the same. I attended a piano/ double bass concert and though I know the bassist guy from playing a fretted bass in jazzclubs and is brilliant there, he was more often than not out of tune in the concert, it was awful.

So, my verdict is either work your *** of with a fingerboard without fret markers to become good or cheat a bit and have the fret markers. The first is a more noble pursuit, the second will get the same results but with a shortcut, no bragging rights though. :D

Malcolm
10-26-2015, 01:08 PM
I'm thinking of using auto striping decals to mark off the fret lines with those. Will post the results when I'm finished.

david15
01-06-2017, 04:06 AM
he was more often than not out of tune in the concert, it was awful.