PDA

View Full Version : G Chord Fingering

rawk
08-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Do you prefer to play it with the 1,2, and 3 fingers, the 2,3, and 4 fingers or does it depend on the song/what chords come before or after it? I originally learned it 1,2,3 but until I hurt my pinky I was playing it 2,3,4 because that's how it was suggested in the song I was playing. It did make the transition a lot smoother, especially to and from Em or C. I had a few minor problems, such as the extra stress on my pinky and it was harder to get the A string/B note to always ring clear as it was hard to keep my 3 finger from muting it accidently. Between my pinky problems and my greater acquaintence with divebombing, I'm thinking of just doing the 1,2,3 fingering all the time.

What's your take on it?

Bongo Boy
08-29-2003, 01:23 AM
I assume of course you're talking an open G chord, and I always play it with 1, 2 and 3. Don't know what else to say...I find most all chords very difficult to articulate clearly, and doubt I'll live long enough to master even the simplest transitions between them.

Dr. J
08-29-2003, 05:22 AM
Theres no wrong or right answer.
For me it depends on where I'm going next but thats just the way I was taught.
I find some of these things are a little instinctive and if I think about them too much (as I play) I stuff it up

OH yeh. It may have a bit to do with the fact that most of the time I don't know what I'm doing :)

Good luch with it.

Cuno
08-29-2003, 07:49 AM
One typical fingering would be 2,1,4. From there itīs easy to throw in an extra 5th by pressing finger #3 on the B-string right above the pinky.

loveguitar
08-29-2003, 08:02 AM
yes like Cuno said, I sometimes used 1(low E string), 2(A string), 3(B string) and 4(high E string) when I want to fret a D note on the B string.

To me it seems both are fine and it's a matter of getting used to it. Or you may used one over the other when you want to fret an extra note.

Schooligo
09-27-2003, 01:28 AM
I'm thinking of just doing the 1,2,3 fingering all the time.

What's your take on it?"

"Do you prefer to play it with the 1,2, and 3 fingers, the 2,3, and 4 fingers"

IMHO it is important to be able to do a chord fingering BOTH ways, and possibly other ways besides(ie. using your thumb to fret notes, etc.),
but especially consider:

"the song/what chords come before or after it?"

This is where a knowledge of Musical Theory, the Guitar Fretboard, STRATEGY & FORWARD thinking are very important.

Ideally you want a chord fingering strategy that allows you to go from Point A to Point B in the most logical, efficient, the least physically demanding, etc. way possible.

As for chord fingerings

It is important that the fingering be dictated by the KNOWLEDGE of the chord progression & voicing of the individual chords.

Let me give you an example, A picture sometimes is worth a thousand words:

Let's say that you are playing a I to IV chord progression in the key of G

keep in mind this C chord is your Final destination
(this voicing of the C chord)

e ---0--- open string
b ---1--- fretting finger (1st &/or index)
g ---0--- open string
D ---2--- fretting finger (2nd &/or middle)
A ---3--- fretting finger (3rd &/or ring)
E ---x--- not played

particularly notice the specific fingers &/or fingering regarding fretting the chord that is our final destination

So a G Maj.chord going to a C Maj.chord

Ex.1 (G chord fingering #1)

e ---3--- fretting finger 3rd &/or ring
b ---0--- open string
g ---0--- open string
D ---0--- open string
A ---2--- fretting finger 1st &/or index
E ---3--- fretting finger 2nd &/or middle

Ex.2 (G chord fingering #2)

e ---3--- fretting finger 4th &/or pinky
b ---0--- open string
g ---0--- open string
D ---0--- open string
A ---2--- fretting finger 2nd &/or middle
E ---3--- fretting finger 3rd &/or ring

going to a C chord that is fingered(with this voicing of the C chord) like this

e ---0--- open string
b ---1--- fretting finger (1st &/or index)
g ---0--- open string
D ---2--- fretting finger (2nd &/or middle)
A ---3--- fretting finger (3rd &/or ring)
E ---x--- not played

Ex.2 the G chord fingering#2 is Logical, efficient, minimizes physical demand, etc.

It can be done with Ex.1 however it requires the musician to do a larger amount of physical effort, is less efficient, and less logical.

Ex.2 only requires you to lift the 3rd and 2nd fingers of the fretting hand (as a set) down one string each, respectively. (Using the same shape those respective fingers were using for the G chord)just on a different set of strings in this case the 5th string & 4th string. then add the index finger to the 2nd string 1st fret.

But as always there are exceptions and "other considerations"

As your knowledge increases you may want to take into account "other considerations" such as

sometimes there is a deliberate very logical reason why a musician will do a specific fingering.

something to consider:
ie. Tone considerations on individual strings in various positions(used by Eric Johnson, Steve Morse, etc.),
ease of Performance,
use of open strings,
minimizing string noise while fretting,
are just a few that come to mind.

Necessity is the mother of invention,

Hope this is Helpful!!!

BTW: I think this is a great question!