PDA

View Full Version : George Benson's picking style...??

bigrats
08-26-2003, 07:16 AM
HI

I AM NEW HERE....
YESTERDAY I SAW THE PICKING STYLE ARTICAL FROM TUCK'S WEBSITE....
BUT I STILL DON'T GET THE George Benson's picking style

HOW TO PLAY IT...??IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO LET KNOW THIS
STYLE...??COZ MY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND WHAT TUCK SAID....

THANKS...

JGuitar
08-27-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi there...

Try to download some video clips of George Benson playing live, maybe you can get a better idea of what Tuck is saying...

Sounds to me like you angle the pick in the opposite direction to normal when using this method. (If I understand correctly) So the edge of the pick closest to your palm hits the string first on a downstroke.

Have you tried "Standard Style Variation 3" in Tuck's article?
This seems to be the method most people have success with.

If you havent, give it a shot....

For those who havent yet seen Tuck's article, go to: http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html

It is an extremely detailed and informative piece of writing.....

Hope this helps...

Cheers

min7b5
08-28-2003, 02:53 AM
Great to see others acknowledging Tuck's great articles. Bensonís playing on his first two records is astounding ( I donít know what happened from there- I guess we all have house payments to make ) itís great to see people acknowledging that as well. Also, Tuck mentions Scotty Anderson on his site. While clearly getting away from using a pick, his ďthumb, two, oneĒ thing ( with fingerpicks-but Iíve had luck teaching it without them ) is obviously the fastest way to pick singe notes. If you haven't seen him casually play machine gun speed single notes, without hammers, sweeps, and all that stuff, you really should. Brent Mason also uses a variation on this three finger roll thing, and again heís very casual about firing off Benson licks this way.