PDA

View Full Version : jason becker and marty friedman

neo shredder
08-16-2003, 10:49 AM
As i hear both of these guys songs i always hear this pentatonic scale sounding thing thats always harmonized. in jasons song perpetual burn he uses this lick

neo shredder
08-16-2003, 11:11 AM
in cacophony's song go off they use this lick in the intro of the song that sounds so cool but their music is so advanced than harmonic minor, minor, and major scales of most players at shrapnel records. i notice that he uses on the first bar to harmonize the japanese scale but thats abou it. can some one analyze both of these songs for me.

also does anyone know if marty plays all of the second guitar parts to cacophony songs like gooff concerto or those jason play overdubs on all the songs and marty plays rythem and lil solos?

Thorsten
08-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Hey Neo, great Jason lick there!

I never analyzed any of the Cacophony or Marty/Jason solo albums cause I think that stuff is so great that I donīt even wanna know how to play it!
Itīs like a magic trick...once you know how itīs done itīs not fun anymore...
So just to take licks and riffs here and there and learn from those makes more sense to me instead of ripping the whole song apart which would take forever anyway.

No, wait a minute...I remember I once learned that "Air" thing from Jasonīs "Perpetual Burn" album, but I forgot how to play most of it.

I once got lucky to talk and play with Marty and the first thing I asked him was about that "Go Off" intro but he also had forgotten how to play most of it...

Though Iīm technically able to play their stuff, itīs more Marty and Jasonīs composition skills that always amaze me.

Iīm pretty sure they both played the harmony leads in the studio, cause they nailed all that stuff live too.

Keep shreddin`...
TK

neo shredder
08-16-2003, 11:30 PM
yeah there music is way to much for my ears but i love so much what they play i have to play it my self. ive been working on jason beckers song perpetual burn for a couple of months now and i berly got it to half way and its not perfect either. i just play one guitar tough i dont bother to play both parts. it just amazes me that he could write and play music like that at 17. your lucky tk jason once said that if you really wanna jam jam with marty. i think jason also said that marty tought him all this stuff about scales and song writting. if you notice the first lick is also used by marty on his album on the song dragon mistress. as for marty forgetting how to play the intro to gooff is sad cause i wouldnt forget how to play a intro like that

Jeansen
08-21-2003, 02:52 PM
hello, guys..i'm so glad that they're mentioned here:D
they are great!! i really hope that Jason will recover soon..

i want to know what songs do you like most from them?
i haven't heard and learned their style much... except some of Marty's solo when he was a megadeth.
so i really need your recommendation for their song..

:) thx

Anubis
08-21-2003, 03:36 PM
The first song I ever heard with Marty and Jason was Go Off from an old Guitar Player that had a little record included with that song.
That is one of their coolest song in my opinion.
Also check out the song Speed Metal Symhpony also a very cool song by those guys.

neo shredder
08-21-2003, 07:48 PM
they have many good songs. my favs are goof, concerto, ninja, desert island. from jason i like perpetual burn, mabels fatal fabel(wich has the best solo and the hardest to play he plays 64 notes!)

Jeansen
08-23-2003, 03:16 PM
they are magic.;)
oh ya..i'm having difficulties founding the power-tab file for Jason Becker and especially Marty or even cacophony . i've been looking them anywhere but i didn't found it. i found only speed metal symphony and some of Jason Becker's Serrana and prepertual burn..
help please!!!:( ;) thx guys.

neo shredder
08-23-2003, 08:14 PM
well i just search and i find them but hear my tabs to save you the trouble

neo shredder
08-23-2003, 08:15 PM
heres goof

Anubis
08-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Jeansen wrote:
oh ya..i'm having difficulties founding the power-tab file for Jason Becker and especially Marty or even cacophony . i've been looking them anywhere but i didn't found it. i found only speed metal symphony and some of Jason Becker's Serrana and prepertual burn.. help please!!! thx guys.

Here's a zip with the tabs I had by those guys.

http://w1.605.telia.com/~u60511686/cacophony.zip

Here's some links that have Cacophony/Becker/Friedman powertabs.
Some of the tabs might be in my zipfil though.

http://www.geocities.com/winkken/Musicworks.html

http://tripoutch.free.fr/

http://www.guitarplayer.ru/notes/

The powertab archive has a few tabs to.

http://www.powertabs.net/

There's also some decent Friedman/Becker tabs in Guitar Pro.

http://www.mysongbook.com/

Here's a scanned tab of Speed Metal Symphony.
I hope it's okay if I share this one Eric?

http://w1.605.telia.com/~u60511686/sms.zip

While on the shred tabs subject.
Here's a site with Tony MacAlpine powertabs.

http://tonymacalpine.tripod.com/Transcriptions.htm

diminished
09-15-2003, 04:14 AM
I reccomend (to learn jason becker and Marty Friedman stuff) that you should learn all scales and arpeggios and then you will be able to listen to it and hear what thay are doing...

My fav cacophony song is Black cat...

oh yeah, they harmonize alot of penatonic...

szulc
09-15-2003, 04:27 AM
I reccomend (to learn jason becker and Marty Friedman stuff) that you should learn all scales and arpeggios and then you will be able to listen to it and hear what thay are doing... That is a pretty broad statement!

Isn't that pretty much true of any music by anyone on any instrument?
Can you define what subset of the universal set of the chromatic scale you are referring to when you say "all scales and arpeggios".

There are way more scales than can be learned in a persons lifetime, if you take this seriously via mathematical exhaustion.

Maybe you can narrow down your recommended scope a bit for those of us who won't live as long as the *temple of benares (Tower of Babel) game is being played ((2^64) -1 seconds for you math buffs,18446744073709551616 seconds or 584542046090.63 Years)

*64 graduated golden disks(Washers/ Toroids) on 3 diamond needles
All 64 start off on 1 needle bottom to top largest to smallest. Move all disks from one needle to one of the other needles largest to smallest bottom to top.
Rules: only one disk moves at a time and no larger disks on smaller disks.
A perfect game of this will take Exactly (2^64) -1 moves
584542046090.63 Years at one move a second with no mistakes!

diminished
09-16-2003, 02:32 AM
lol. sorry :) I mean, you should learn all basic scales from Ionian to whole tone and arpeggios of diminished, major, minor and so forth. Just listen to it alot and you will begin to hear the notes pour into your head. kinda like reaching perfect pitch, and learning japanese, the more you are exposed to something the more fluent you will become... hell, just research the things they do in one song and you will know all things that they do in all songs... worked for me...lmao....

diminished
09-16-2003, 02:40 AM
Can any of you fine guitarist help me out?
It would be cool if so.
I am having a problem..some days (like today) I am playing serrana flawlessly, but I just know tomorrow I will play it like a 3 year old would.(no offense) if you guys could help me it would be cool. maybe some pick control excersizes...:) thanks

Spin 2513
11-10-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by diminished
I reccomend (to learn jason becker and Marty Friedman stuff) that you should learn all scales and arpeggios and then you will be able to listen to it and hear what thay are doing...

My fav cacophony song is Black cat...

oh yeah, they harmonize alot of penatonic...

I recommend ,you learn to spell," recommend",dip****.

Spin 2513
11-10-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by diminished
Can any of you fine guitarist help me out?
It would be cool if so.
I am having a problem..some days (like today) I am playing serrana flawlessly, but I just know tomorrow I will play it like a 3 year old would.(no offense) if you guys could help me it would be cool. maybe some pick control excersizes...:) thanks

Is that the only thing you know how to play.Can you play "Deciples of Hell" from Rising Forces ,"Marching Out"
That's a easy riff with lots of ARPs to loosen up with .
Maybe you don't know enough inversions and variations of sweep arpeggios , and arpeggio fragments.
If your really interested in the style ,check out a Marty Friedman instructional video .Buy it or get some one with two VCRs to copy it for you.
Variations are the key .
One thing I've knowticed about that style is ,those guys in cacophony,will play things in the same part of the fret board ,and opt for the easiest way to play an arpeggio in a particular key .
But what they do ,and uli roth does this ,is go up one arpeggio in a given key and come down another,and change keys at a frantic pace.As Marty would say "more harmonicly complex music"
Yngwie would use every position on the fretboard to descend in four note sequences, down an A minor arpeggio ,where as Marty would play the whole thing up in 17th fret position,utilizing all 6 strings insted of playing on just the top 3.Get the ARP then play alot more ideas.Yngwie can jam and has great note choice ,and space in his music,usually.Bach influence.Marty and Jason Are Yngwie /Bach inflence,but add Motzarts major keys,and a kolidescope of other styles ,adding alot of freedom to the idea of writing.like Zappa said ,"Start one place, end somewhere else ,and have something in the middle."
I've knowticed alot of the tabs out there ,are acurate but the finger positons ,could be played with less finger span reach,and more actual sweeping. The intro arpeggios of the perpetual burn tab posted everwhere,IS the fingering he used, for that 5 string minor arpeggio,

Friggin A i don't think i've ever typed the word,"Arpeggio" so much ,in my life.

check out this link for warm up exercises

http//:www.mobynuke.net/13aa/

LarryJ
11-10-2003, 06:12 AM
and i'd recomend you learn to spell 'Maintaenance' before you go knocking others for their simple mistakes.

LarryJ
11-10-2003, 07:52 AM
Jason has now completly lost control of his body, and all its functions, sadly (perhaps) the disease leaves your mind fully intact, and aware of your surroundings.

I would really advise people here to check out the interview www.metalsludge.com just did with him. It was very moving and extremly inspiring. He was able to respond by using his eyes (some machine, i assume it registers what letter he looks at or similar) as well as visiting his site. He is able to make music still, again, computers somehow read what he's thinking.

In the interview (and on his website) he comes off as the most humble, appreciative and sincere person ever. You think he would be bitter, after all he was in one of the biggest bands in the world, DLR, at the top of his game, and was young and famous, and then the next year finds out he'll be dead in less 5 years. Despite this he is truly thankful for every minute he had a guitar in his hands, and is still alive. For any of you who are having trouble picking up the guitar, motivation/dedication problems, or finding inspiration, I highly suggest you read that interview, it did wonders for me...if it doesn't make you shutup and play guitar, I dont think anything will.

Spin 2513
11-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by LarryJ
and i'd recomend you learn to spell 'Maintaenance' before you go knocking others for their simple mistakes.

I can spell," maintenance" just fine.That guy's full of s# it ,and i'm just pointing that out.It's nice to fantasize, though.
To jump into the Shrapnel catalog is ridiculous for someone starting out. I would recommend being familiar with J.Winter and blues ,then learn some simplified TAB versions of classical pieces ,like Green Sleeves,and Bouree.Then check out Yngwie.

That guy was obviously talking out his ***,and probably can't make it through a 12 bar blues.

Who ever posted those Power TAB links ,thanks ,power TAB is god,that really made my F-in day.

Spin 2513
11-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ajdowton
Sadly mate, I don't think he will. He's got amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (aka Lou Gehrig's disease) and people don't really get better from that I don't think. He is missed. I don't think he'd be the same if he did. He's gotten into some pretty far out religious stuff since his condition's worsening and I don't think he'd really be into shredding it up like he used to. No offence, I mean, each to his/her/it's own, but it's kinda funny how people are always looking for answers in these weird religious group things, and they're 'more than ready' to give em to ya for a price.

Anyway, his music rocks.

Peace Out

He could beat it if they develop a cure.From his website ,i can tell ,Becker is a easy going guy who takes it as it comes ,i don't think i could .Were not talking about some gay dieing of Aids.This guys mind is clear .He is a Composer and who's instrument is Guitar ,he writes for the Guitar.Is very musical, and changed the way EVERYONE approached the instrument.The Hendrix of our day .

Spin 2513
11-10-2003, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ajdowton
I wouldn't recommend that video man. IMHO it's complete crap. I mean, its OK, but it'd be better to pick up the Vinnie Moore stuff, or maybe an Yngwie vid (even though its not really instructional, the Yngwie stuff is cool).

[B]SPIN SAYS:

The first Friedman video was lacking ,yet it still explained the finger positions they actually use.Judging fron many of the TABs i see ,not to many of the TABBERs have seen that video,and play inversions which are much harder to work with than Friedman would do.
Yngwie is an animal,he's all over the guitar.Alot of what he does are the hardest posible fingerings,alot of streaching ,and sh#t which is bad for your hands,it hasn't slowed him down ,though,all these years.But regardless, music like cacophony's moves through more changes , and would be next to impossible to play using "Yngwie fingerings"So there you have it .
On the free server i post my own TAB on ,i may put up Friedman Type Speed picking exercises.
i also can figure out why Zakk Wyldes Picking Approach doesn't come across well in TAB.That stuff i already wrote out and post on my little site. http//:www.mobynuke.net/13aa/

Zakk does ALOT of Economy picking ,so does Iomi for that matter,it's just with pentatonics ,but it's never discussed.He's been writing for some GTR Mag out there and NEVER talks about his unorthadox picking approach.Mabey he just doesn't want to upset the Pope.

diminished
11-11-2003, 03:55 AM
come on dude, I know i cannot spell but you need not pick at me.
hell, I thought all guitarist were supposed to get along. I am a nice guy and it would be really cool of you to help me out and not be an "***".hell the way i see it i am only 16 and only been playing for 2 1/2 years. it is pretty cool that i can play serrana or black star and even far beyond the sun... So dudes against me, just chill out and cut me some slack. please...

flathead
11-11-2003, 04:36 AM
Your sweep picking wouldn't happen to sound like water would it?:D

The Bash
11-11-2003, 04:41 AM
Agreed :)
That kinna stuff isn't at all helpful, nor does it make the world in anyway a better place. If you really feel the need post that kinna stuff there's plently of other forums out there that will tolerate it.
We won't. Were here to help each other get from point A to point B. Besides, I can't Spell either.

Spin 2513
11-12-2003, 05:54 AM
That's cool,i could play Yngwie songs when i was 16 ,too.
It would have been nice if they had something like Power tabs back then.

http://www.geocities.com/winkken/Musicworks.html

I never understood 12 bar blues untill i transcribed "Becareful with a Fool" a B.B. King song off J.Winters first album.
When someone says they can play something ,i have a bad habit of not believing them .partly cause i started playing at 14 ,and didn't get my timing together till iwas about 20.I know what it's like to be able to play something ,and then not have it together with a drummer .
For example ,i've played in many bands yet still can't play "Highway to hell" by acdc along with the drums.Sounds silly but i just don't hear or feel that layed back timing ,they some times do.I think of the 1 as a kick drum and 2 as snare ,or 1 &2 as kick and 3 as snare. i can play back in black, though.
Some drummers can't get Iron Maidens groove together.the one bar of 4/4 followed by a bar of7/8. i mean come on .count.
If you can't feel where eagles dare ,1 st song off peace of mind ,you must be dead.
It's all good some people are fast and rhythemic some are slow and melodic ,some can do both ,that's what finding a style is all about .

Later

Spin 2513
11-13-2003, 06:46 AM
He opts for mixo and lydian sounds,alot of color .G3 should be cool ,'cause most of the GTR ists who tour with Vai ,start sounding like him,like Vandenburg did in WhiteSnake.I bet Malmsteen won't.That guy probably dosen't even own a GTR with a Floyd Rose System on it.

phantom
11-13-2003, 10:20 AM
does anyone have a good ptb. file of "showtime" (j.becker with d.l.r.)
idon't have the cd but a lot of parts just don't sound right on the tab i have.
i'm especially interessted in the original way jason played the last 2 bars of the solo. if someone knows how he played it i would be glad he to see it posted. :)

Spin 2513
12-06-2003, 08:27 AM
""

phantom
12-06-2003, 11:50 AM
thanks spin. that surely helps a lot......

Spin 2513
12-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Oh , i'm sorry...

<<<<<< lOOk at all those pick-ups. They're hotter than Paris Hiltons a$$ crack.