PDA

View Full Version : Info on Reading Music

tr1cke
08-15-2003, 11:12 AM
I have a few guitar books at home. I read them and understand most of it, but I cant do the exercises because (like some of the lessons on here) they are written in notation (Not tab).

Where can I learn about reading music for the guitar. I have just been reading about Triads by Gunharth Randolf, and he shows the chords in music notation. How do you what note on a particular line corresponds to a particular string and fret (think that makes sense ?:rolleyes: )

tr1cke

perth
08-15-2003, 12:33 PM
there is no 1:1 relationship between notes on the staff and fret / string numbers. music notation tells you how the music should sound, not how you should play it. attached is a picture of the staff and tab for 6 different places to play the note "e" in the 6th octave.

the notes are all the same (though when you play them on a guitar, they have varying degrees of richness due to the difference in thickness and length of the strings vibration).

hope this helps.

EricV
08-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Well, I can recommend a book by David Oakes, called "Music Reading for a guitar". Itīs really helpful to get started with sight-reading, is well written and takes you through all the basics.

How do you know which note to play at which fret on which string ? Itīs tough sometimes, the guitar is a tough instrument for sight-reading.
Sometimes, the general position to play in is indicated above the staff ( i.e. "V"= fifth position... refer to the book I mentioned to learn more about position-playing ). I also have seen notation where thereīs indications on which string to play the respective note on ( i.e. the booklet of Steve Morseīs old REH instructional-tapes )
But in general, you gotta figure it out yourself. You should try to get a general idea about what other notes you have to play, and try to find a position where you can play the notes you need to play comfortably... you have to arrange a piece for the guitar yourself, if you know what I mean. Itīs often up to you, and thatīs what makes it tough...
Hope this helps a bit
Eric

tr1cke
08-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Cheers folks. That cleared it up for me. I will definatley check out that book.

Laterz

tr1cke