PDA

View Full Version : Search Engine...Issues

Bongo Boy
07-29-2003, 05:23 AM
I may be an idiot, but the search facility is giving me fits.

If I do a search using 'SRV', I get the basic 'search string too short' crap that really rankles my butt. But that's okay, so I do a search on 'stevie ray' and the engine says the string 'ray' is too short. In other words, it doesn't even see 'stevie ray' as the search string. THEN, I do a search using 'stevie AND ray' and it STILL only sees 'ray' as the search string. So I'm thinking the logicals AND and OR don't actually do jack. Eh?

Now I'm hoppin mad. First of all, I should be able to do a search with a string of ANY length, and only be denied my quarry if the string is among a set of keywords such as 'the', 'or', 'and' or the like. A search on 'SRV' should bag me a muffin, for god's sake--it's not like 'SRV' is a filler word, k?

Sincerely,

Searchus interruptus.

Bongo Boy
07-29-2003, 05:31 AM
...plus, you know, if more guitar solos did for me what the guitar work in Crossfire does, I'd stop my bitching about guitar solos. My good god man...it sounds like he's singing thru those pickups. None of that up-and-down-the-harmonic-minor-scale-at-lightspeed-until-you-make-me-puke crap...THIS is actual music--it's like a simple extension of the man's voice.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Danster
07-29-2003, 01:14 PM
SRV was the complete package. I taped an Austin City Limits showing him from his '83 and '89 appearances. I watch that dang tape all the freakin' time. He was awesome. As far as SRV solos goes, his ACL version of Mary Had a Little Lamb (Buddy Guy composition) has two solos which both give me goosebumps. Also Voodoo Chile is on there... its a masterpiece. I wonder if SRV ever performed Hendrix's Red House???

Cuno
07-29-2003, 01:53 PM
I totally agree, not being able to search for SRV is a bummer. A workaround is to search for 'SRV*', since the '*' can be erverything, including space.

Bizarro
07-30-2003, 03:54 AM
I agree, Crossfire really kicks some butt. It's a medium-difficulty solo to play, but it's REALLY hard to play it with the same authority as SRV (some people might say it's impossible...)

My band plays Crossfire and it can be a humbling experience... I basically feel naked out there when I'm playing the leads! :p

I purchased every SRV recorded media that I've ever come across (DVD's, CD's, remastered CD's, Box set, etc). It's about 30 discs strong! The remastered CD's and the DVD's have live performances which defy description! The Boxed Set DVD has a live version of Couldn't Stand the Weather that gives me goose bumps just thinkin' about it! It's from the '89 ACL taping.

That search engine business is strange... I think Cuno has the right idea for a workaround though! Very clever!:eek: