PDA

View Full Version : 8 psychedelic soul songs looking for feedback

avedic
01-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Man, I've missed this place. Been away for a while but happy to be back. :)

I thought I'd post a few songs/demos I've recently recorded. I'm kind of a one man band recording from home using whatever instruments I can get my hands on. Most of these demos are pretty free-form as far as structure goes and not sonically pristine. The idea is to generate lots of musical ideas and then pick out the most interesting bits to add to the final song.

So, what I'm looking for more than anything is for people to listen and let me know what parts grabbed you. What parts sound good to your ears? Such feedback would be greatly appreciated. Oh...btw, I record using programmed drum beats. I used to abhor that practive. Only "real" drums counted to me. Yet, I've developed quite a liking to the sound. It's actually freed me up creatively. So...just a note about that.

As for the style of music, I like to call it 'psychedelic soul'...so goes the title of this post. :cool: Eccentric and weird but with real feeling behind it and sharp effective hooks. I like balancing those extremes. Have a listen and let me know what you think. Which song is your favorite, or least favorite. And what parts within each song stand out to you.

Thanks! Don't forget...listen loud! :D

http://www.myspace.com/seanscdemos

Tropic - wanted to write a dark, slightly sexual, song with propulsive rhythm and a dissonant edge.
January 2010 Demo - was listening to alot of talking heads when i wrote this. not sure if that shows or not. :) really kicks in at :40 mark.
Half As Good - wanted to write something soulful but unpredictable.
Opiated - optimistic but strange, hazy yet acrid song.
Russia - recorded each track in one take as i made it up on the spot. hence the utter randomness of it. lol...but i like the result.
November 2009 Demo - recorded much the same way as the song above.
Summer 2009 Demo - at the end of this is a little nod to michael jackson due to it being recorded the day news broke of his death.
Under the Sun - wrote this 3 years ago for my then girlfriend

avedic
01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
50 views and no replies? This place is more active than that! :)

fingerpikingood
01-11-2010, 11:50 PM
in tropic demo your singing is of key at times. also, although your sounds are real crisp and distinct, i find the way it's levelled a little weird. i find your drums are real loud compared to the drums and the guitar is real loud compared to the rest also. i don't think i'd categorize it as funk though.

psychedlleci it is, but i don't know if i'd call it funk, and as far as psycheddellic goes you hit the nail right on the head.

i like the part where it mutes to just drums and how you come in again with the guitar i find is cool.

another thing i like is your creativity in changing things up and sound selection.

i think though the main thing for me, would be levels and on key, if you succeeded in that, although this is not music i'd put on my mp3 player, i find it could really make a cool soundtrack for the right scenes in a flick.

i'd like to be able to listen to all your other tunes, but i'll have to save that for another time. it's more feasible for me, if you submitted one song at a time.