PDA

View Full Version : Guitar:Palm Muting

mrpaperclip
07-20-2003, 04:26 AM
I play guitar on and off, but I like to listen to and play along with punk bands. I just started listening to Thrice, and like most punk bands, they use a lot of REALLY fast palm muting, and I was just wondering what are some good techniques for palm muting that fast and cleanly. Thanks in advance.

Playmystrat
07-20-2003, 06:56 AM
Hey dude, I listen to Thrice too and I've learned a few of their songs. On a lot of those riffs where there is fast alternate picking palm muting, the easiest way to play them is to make sure your amp is loud with lots of distortion so you can play fast with a light touch, and then rest your wrist on the lower strings where most of the palm muting occurs (especially the open D string). Then just alternate pick the riffs and try to keep your wrist resting on the low strings but not touching the higher strings where the notes ring out. Good luck as its pretty tough to get it to sound clean at such fast speeds.

perth
07-20-2003, 11:29 AM
practice :)

you should turn the distortion down when you practice as it tends to hide mistakes and gives you a false sense of security.