PDA

View Full Version : Sense of time?

cozimnot
07-20-2003, 04:04 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering how you guys developed your sense of timing and rythme. I a terrible sense in time and I am hoping to improve it. I try to practice with a metronome, and while this has improved my playing speed, I don't notice much in my timing. Should I just continue on what I'm doing, or is there something different that I can do?

B A Stone
07-20-2003, 05:11 AM
When you play with a metronome, tap your foot as well. Also try counting out loud as you play. A drum machine helps too, because it's an actual beat, not just clicks.

Jamming with other people helps, because everyone has to be in time with each other or it really sounds like crap.

Hope this helps.

DanF
07-20-2003, 06:44 AM
Guni wrote a good article on this which can be found at http://www.ibreathemusic.com/learn/article/32

Erm...other than that I've noticed that my feel has just gotten better with time and by actively listening to more music (for instance I like bebop and it's added some new rhythmic idioms for me to play with).

Read Guni's article but even more importantly is don't underestimate the power of simply listening intently to good music.

-Dan

cozimnot
07-20-2003, 06:56 AM
Thanks a lot for your suggestions and the article. :)

cozimnot
07-20-2003, 07:08 AM
A quick question regarding Guni's article: when he says "Our next step is to take the metronome down to a tempo of 50. Now, think of each click as having a value of a half note (so the real tempo in quarter notes is 100)." in the second exersize, I'm not sure what this means. I'm not sure how this means that the half notes in the tempo of 50 equal to quater notes in the tempo of 100.

edit: sorry for the double post: I meant to edit my previous one :P

perth
07-20-2003, 11:43 AM
the clicks can be anything you want them to be. when i used to practice to a metranome, i treated each click as a quarter note, and i played either 4 notes per click (16th notes) or 6 notes per click (16th notes in 6:4 time or triplet 16th notes in 4:4 time). it all depends on how you count the clicks.

metranomes are boring, and i usually only recommend them to massochists and people with no money to invest in a drum machine, backing track cd, or sequencer program (or who dont have a percussionist that can keep time).

you can learn rhythm subconsiously by sleeping with the metranome set to a different time every night.

szulc
07-20-2003, 12:18 PM
In 4/4 meter there are 4 beats per measure and 1/4 note receive 1 count.

So at 100 bpm, where a beat = 1/4 note each 1/4 note lasts 1 click. If you set the metronome to 50 bpm, now 1/4 notes last half a click and Half notes last 1 click, but you are playing in the same meter at the same tempo. You could set it to 25 bpm and then a whole note would last 1 click and each quarter note would last 1/4 click.

cozimnot
07-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Ohh...I see the relation now. :) Thanks.