PDA

View Full Version : palm mute, some solos difficulties

Jeansen
07-06-2003, 01:18 AM
hello..guys.. i'm having trouble here on palm mute..i've tried a lot about palm mute but i can't play it right..it's always come up with rake..actually, how to do that right ? i've tried moving my right hand along the string ( area above pickup ) anywhere..but i still can't get the voice!! does it work well with acoustic or classical guitar? can we do it without distorsion?

"You give love a bad name!!" bon jovi's. I'm sure lot of you ever heard and even ever play this song..i want to ask about the solo: actually, it's the part that sounds like fallin' star.
my friends on internet said that we can do it with artificial harmonics and then with tremolo.. but i can't really understand what he meant.
what kind of artificial harmonic? was it pinch, tapping harmonic ?
and actually how on earth..can we make that fallin' stars sound?

sorry, lot of words:p
please use simple words. I'm not very fluent on english and i'm still new to guitar . thanks, guys.:)

Koala
07-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Im not familiar with the solo youre talking about. But the falling stars sound you refer to is probablly a dive bomb with a pinch harmonic. Try playing a pinch harmonic with your right hand and then push the wang bar all the way down. Satriani does it a lot but uses his left hand to push and pull the bar.

Bizarro
07-07-2003, 12:17 AM
Hi,

For palm muting it would really help to start out with an electric guitar and lots of distortion. Just barely rest the edge of your palm on the strings as you pick, and practice moving your hand around to make it sound the best. However, I'm not sure if you are asking about palm muting or pinch harmonics!

For the Bon Jovi solo, I think the part you are referring to is just pinch harmonics and pressing down on the whammy bar very quickly (let go of it quickly too!).

Richie Sambora is a great guitar player so it may be difficult to sound just like the record.

Good luck!
:D

Jeansen
07-07-2003, 09:07 AM
actually...i'm asking two question there .
first: i'm asking about the palm mute
second : "you give love a bad name " solo
yeah, Richie is one of the best in the world...;)
oh..it's the pinch harmonic hah? hmmm..
thanks.:) i think i'll try it again ...

EricV
07-07-2003, 09:22 AM
1. Put your hand onto the bridge, and then, bit by bit, move it onto the strings while playing ( i.e. powerchords ) until you get the desired amount of muting. I always mute very close to the bridge...

2. Actually, I played that BJ-tune in a coverband years ago. As far as I remember, that first divebomb was a natural harmonic at the 5th fret, G-string... hit that, then use the wang bar.
I would have to check, I think I still have my TAB of that solo somewhere... but I´m not at home right now, so it´ll take a while. I am pretty certain it was that 5th fret n.h. though
Eric

Jeansen
07-08-2003, 09:37 AM
thanks EricV
i'll try those. i'd like to wait the tab...;) must be awesome..

Jeansen
09-24-2003, 05:17 AM
hi guys..i just wanna ask some question about tapping :
how to "tap with pick"? what side of pick i should use ?
is it sounds different from regular tapping ?
do you have any practice for 2 fingers tapping?
Eric V: would you post 8 fingers tapping article?
thx guys
:)
oh ya, how about scary harmonics? how to do it?
what the differences between natural harmonics and the harp haromics ? it just sounded same to me.

i found a good article from Troy stetina about how to obtain speed...check his website : stetina.com :) look for "lessons"
great stuff:)

EricV
09-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Jeansen
hi guys..i just wanna ask some question about tapping :
how to "tap with pick"? what side of pick i should use ?
is it sounds different from regular tapping ?

Pick tapping... instead of using a r.h. finger to tap, you use the edge of your pick to tap. It doesn´t matter which side you use. It does sound different, cuz you might be able to tap way faster that way, and the tap itself sounds... well, brighter, harder than the tap with your fingertip.
Check out the song "Surfing With The Alien" by Joe Satriani. After the main-theme, there´s a wild jet-sound, and after that there´s a very fast tapping part in the highest area of the neck... tap-picking.

Originally posted by Jeansen Eric V: would you post 8 fingers tapping article?
I know I promised that one a long time ago, but a)it takes time, and I´d have to cover regular, basic tapping first and b) the tapping articles will be a very elaborate thing including lots of pics, sounds and even a video. It´s pretty much a bigger project I am working on ( some of you might be surprised... )
I also am toying with the idea of an instructional video or DVD, and if that really comes together, I´ll cover tapping on it... video makes it a bit easier to explain that stuff... so stay patient, k ?

Scary harmonics ? Well, dunno what you mean by that, but what sounds scary to me are those really high-pitched ones... try doing them at the the 3rd or 2nd fret on the upper strings. You might need some extra gain to get those to come out clearly... and they´re harder to get than you regular 12th fret n.h. harmonics.
If you get them, apply the whammy bar for some wild sounds. Satriani used a harmonic at the 14th fret, D-String, in combination with the bar, in "Satch Boogie". Pretty scary

Originally posted by Jeansen what the differences between natural harmonics and the harp haromics ?
Yeah, they pretty much sound the same. Which is the purpose of harp harmonics. Cuz you can play melodies and arps that way, using the sound of natural harmonics. Remember that there is a very limited amount of natural harmonics... 5th fret, 12th fret, 7th fret ( the easier ones ).
What if you i.e. wanna play a melody in, say, Bbmin ? Well, you can if you play the melody with the left hand, and use your r.h. to turn those notes into harp harmonics. Listen to Steve Morse, songs like "Dreamland" or "Sacred Ground". he plays melodies with harp harmonics that you couldn´t play with natural harmonics. Also, you can apply effects like bending or vibrato to harp harmonics. try that with n.h. and without a wangbar,...
Hope this answers your questions...
Eric

Vance
02-08-2004, 07:46 PM
The best ways to get up to speed on how the technique matches the sound you are hearing is to buy or rent a DVD or Video with some of Guitars best players out there.

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, etc all have videos and enough close up shots to see how all these "Tricks" are performed.

I've been playing for 20 yrs. Pretty good at most of the stuff I do. BUT...whatever Satch does to get that squeal when he has one hand up by the bridge and the other on the Whammy bar is an elusive one. I'm thinkin maybe it has to have something to do with a Chrome Guitar heheheh. Just Kidding.

Vance

http://www.thecalm.ca

Jeansen
03-20-2004, 03:51 AM
i've tried to figured out Richie Sambora's vibrato for almost a year ..but i still can't manage to get his vibrato..it sounds like that he use harmonic in his vibrato but..when i've tried that..it sounds different.
if you don't know what i mean check out his solo in "bed of roses" ( he used a really good vibrato there as an opening in his solo) and "you give love a bad name " rythm part ( bon jovi's ) ....i hope someone help me because it's drivin me crazy..thx :( :mad: :D

if U would tell me another vibrato's technique..i would be very excited thx

Bizarro
03-20-2004, 06:11 AM
In "you give love a bad name" he hits a partial harmonic pinch for the single note vibrato. For the diad vibrato (chord fragment part) it sounds like he's using his whammy bar to me. Hope this helps... ;)

Jeansen
03-21-2004, 07:38 AM
thx for reply, but i'm still confuse.
"a partial harmonic pinch for the single note vibrato". how to do that?
what do you mean "diad vibrato (chord fragment part)"? sorry bothering U, cause i'm only a new player..

Jeansen
04-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello..Eric V : would U post your tabs for "Van Halen" jump tab ( i saw your commnts in www.mysongbook.com) n of course still waiting for "You Give love.." tab? please.. thanks, oh ya how about the partial harmonics ..what is that? i have never heard about it..please someone tell me..!! thanks so much

MSH1601
04-08-2004, 11:36 AM
The Tab for You give love a bad name is something like

PH---------------------------------------------¬
E-------0-\-------------------0-\-----------------
B-----------0-\-----------0-\-----0-\-----0-\----
G---------------0-\----0-\------------0-\-------
D-------------------0-\-------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------

The ticks represtent wammy dips,
It's bloody hard to get it to sound like him.
He is a guitar god that needs to get back to shredding again soon.
Also use plenty of mid and OD. Richie has an active mid boost on his strat with a dimazio Paf Pro.

Jeansen
04-08-2004, 11:45 AM
what is that? which part the song use that kind of stuff?

MSH1601
04-08-2004, 11:56 AM
That's from the solo...

MSH1601
04-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Sorry guys, too much drink. That's the bit from Bad Medicine

Jeansen
06-20-2004, 01:31 AM
:) hello..is there someone here have the tab or chords for "stay together" ( mr big )? i'm having some trouble with the intro and the unusual chords
( did Paul call it as a chord or double stop anyway? :confused:)

i didn't have good ears to hear the double stop ( i'm still working on it ) so would someone help me ? thx U

Jeansen
06-25-2004, 12:10 PM
hello, guys..i'm completely frustated to figured out how Paul Gilbert do the chords on " Stay Together " it's seems that he didn't do the usual chords there.. i really need some help here ..a little clue would be very meaningful to me..or does anyone have the tab? please someone answer.. :( :(
thx :)

Jeansen
08-25-2004, 11:22 AM
hello friends, my teacher told me about my weakness after he listened to my melodies:
1. tone!!!
do you have another tips for developing great tones? ( besides article from Eric "quest for tone "..i've read it ..it's good but it doesn't really that works for me.. )

2. COnfidence
i admit that i'm not really that confident ..i think it is because i'm too afraid to make any mistake n don't believe that i can do something great ( n maybe that's why i can't just enjoy n just play what ever i like ).. i'm working on it but still have no improvement..got any advice on it?

3. Composing a solo
my teacher ask me to jamming with a jam track spontaniously n he wanted to see how my solos were.. n then after he saw my playing.. he said that my solo doesn't have a good path of music...it doesn't have a good beggining, middle, and an end...how i'm supposed to make that kind of stuff when jamming spontaniously...hey, i've got the chord progressions only a minute before he play that jam track for me..
sometimes me myself think that my solo just boring..( i want to do something different on my solos but i'm always in doubt when i wanted to try it)
do you have any advice on it..?
Marty Friedman said how he composed a melodic line.."just use your ear" what is it mean?

(...did he mean that we must hear or listen to the line of melodys that come through our ears n mind?? because if it so...it is very hard to do that..cause i have never have or even heard a line of melodies coming into my ear when i play..)
even though i do hear that stuff how can i apply it to guitar simultaniously?
please help ..
thx U :)