PDA

View Full Version : Climb Every Mountain

Koala
06-24-2003, 01:59 AM
I just want to praise Jamey Andreasīs Climb Every Mountain Article, I think what he speaks of is overlooked most of the time. We prefer to look for those Utopic shortcuts to learning rather than stick with things until the become a part of ourselves.

Id aldo like to see more of Jamey on the IBM forums.

szulc
06-24-2003, 02:22 AM
That is going to be tough unless he actually starts posting to the forums!

szulc
06-24-2003, 02:51 AM
For your enjoyment the list of all Article authors and their number of posts. I couldn't find some of them at all but maybe Eric or Guni could shed some more light on this.

I see only seven of them who have ever posted.

These guys are regular participants in these forurms:
Eric Vandenberg 2087
James B Schultz (SZULC) 1215
Gunharth Randolf 1117

These guys have participated:
Steve Carter 44
Matt Butler 15
Alan Horvath 9
Paul Nelson 3

These guys have never participated:
--------------------------------------------------------
Dario Not Found
Jamey Andreas 0
John Baboian Not Found
Mike Campese 0
Charles H. Chapman Not Found
Francesco Fareri 0
Jon Finn 0
Mark French Not Found
Tomo Fujita 0
Tom Hess 0
David Howard Not Found
Darrin Koltow 0
Wayne Krantz 0
Meinrad Litterst 0
Nicolas Meier Not Found
Steve Morse 0
Bruce Saunders 0
Atanas Shishkov 0
M.T. Szymczak 0
Geoff Thorpe 0
Patrick Vega 0
Bret Willmott 0

This list may cause you to

Koala
06-24-2003, 03:44 AM
LOL Szulc, that was just my attempt at being polite for saying...SHOW YER FACE ANDREAS! :)

Im surprised to see that according to your list Morse has done something here, ill check that out right away.

BTW Szulc, do you have any schooling(musicwise that is)? I ask because i always find your explanations packed with knowledge and pretty damn clear. Just curious.

Peace,

DanF
06-24-2003, 05:26 AM
I've always found Jamey's ideas to be common sense rolled into zen preaching. It seems like he considers guitar playing a branch of the martial arts. I can never remember if I should play my major scales with the "heavy arm" or the "light touch [of the buddha]" :D

I just find it humourous I'm not trying to knock him or say his stuff isn't worth reading (although the topic of guys like Darrin Koltow and Jamey having their same articles syndicated on every major guitar site on the net is pretty interesting too).

-Dan

PS If anyone is interested in the Steve Morse articles (as well you should be) they can be found @ http://www.ibreathemusic.com/browse/index.php?what=author&aid=71

szulc
06-24-2003, 10:26 AM
I would take the articles more seriously if those who wrote them actually participated in the forurms. I believe it is a matter of agenda. A lot of these guys are trying to make a living being musicians and teachers. Some have written books, or have videos. I think the main purpose for them posting articles is to get people to consider buying something from them. Some of the people post articles to share cool ideas, or to help 'raise the floor' of the general musical knowledge/technique of the participants. A statistic I would like to see, is who is reading the articles (This might be possible), and even better who is actually usng the information in the articles (This is Dreamland!).
I believe the Morse article was actually posted by EricV, used with permisson, from some previous source.

Thanks for your kind words
I am an engineer, so my point of view comes from that mathematical analysis angle. I see music as applied set theory, as such, a great deal is tractable whith hard and fast rules.
I try to make my ideas concise and logical, and try only to make assertions when they fit the context.

I am mostly self taught as far as theory is concerned.
I did have a couple of guitar classes and a voice leading class in college. I had an independant study class where I learned jazz theory based on Hanon and Schillinger. Other than that, I pretty much learned because I was motivated, being a working musician through the 80's.

DanF
06-24-2003, 03:51 PM
I am an engineer, so my point of view comes from that mathematical analysis angle. I see music as applied set theory, as such, a great deal is tractable with hard and fast rules.

My friend is a Comp Sci Major / Math Minor, I'll have to tell him that maybe we can start a nerd rock band or something. Very cool (your idea, not nerd rock).

Me? I'm a nursing major, I like anything that doesn't puke on me.

-Dan

Guni
06-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by szulc
Some have written books, or have videos. I think the main purpose for them posting articles is to get people to consider buying something from them. Yep. And I gotta say that I am a bit dissapointed with them not participating at all in the forums. I think I made every effort to letting them know what's going on at iBreathe and trying to integrate them into the forum. I cannot think of any better way of selling themselves.

One thing I know is that they love getting article feedback through the article feedback link - well, at least this is what I get told. Now, I would be interested if someone gets a reply from these guys when contacting them directly.

On the other hand I'm thinking what the reasons are why they don't participate more. I mean I'm hell of busy myself as well and sometimes it takes a while before I get to reply to all the mail I'm getting - not to mention the forum posts - but still ..

Actually we could run a little survey - one for our readers point of view about the authors and one for the authors point of view and intentions - this I think would be very interesting.

Guni

EricV
06-24-2003, 10:29 PM
James,

Yes, the Morse-article were kinda put together and posted by me. I asked Steve for permission to put those three guitar-tips and those picking-exercises into actual articles.
I added some commentary ( whenever it was needed ) and did TABs for them. As I said, this happened with permission by Steve.

In his case, I can perfectly understand why heīs not hanging out at the forums, and I donīt blame him. I am pretty sure he would if he HAD THE TIME. He doesnīt. Heīs out pretty much all year long, and when heīs travelling, all the internet time he has is used for checking and replying his email.
So in his case, I can understand it.

About the other authors... I definitely agree that it would be most interesting if theyd hang at the forums, commenting on their articles, replying to questions ( like Paul Nelson did ).
I dunno why they donīt hang out here ( in the case of J. Andreas, I know he has published articles on several other sites, so I guess ibreathe is just one site on a long list of places where he COULD hang out ). They might be very busy, or might not feel comfortable about posting and participating in forums... which, to some degree I can understand, considering what is happening in some other forums ( flaming etc. )
Eric

szulc
06-24-2003, 10:47 PM
My only point here is I believe that we have a community of people here. We try to remain a community. Sometimes people fly in and grace us with a regurgitated article from some other site, then never come in and look around or try to interact.
Most of these are easy to spot, (Listen to my new ... or Buy my new .....). I want to share information and ideas with others, I want them to share with me. I really am here to participate, not just to sell you my book or my latest CD. I feel that the core users of these forums fit this same category. I also feel that there are those who would use this site to further their own agenda without regard for the wishes of the community at large.
Beware, the Wolf is at your door!

Guni
06-25-2003, 07:22 AM
But that's life isn't it? I mean in real live you don't meet people and consider all of them your friends. Maybe you go out with them for a few times b4 breaking the ice - maybe this will never happen and you lose contact.

Same is happening here. People come - people go - fair enough. Our job is to keep an eye open for not turning those away that are really into it and driving iBreathe. And this goes for the authors as well.

Guni

CaptainCarma
06-25-2003, 09:07 AM
I absolutely agree with the things youīve said, guni...

people come, people go, donīt waste your tears to those who leave ( or may never come ), itīs all about those who stay to become a fundamental part of the community.

Koala
06-26-2003, 03:11 AM
LOL never thought this post would be so controversial.
I seriously belive that article to be good, and a slap on the wrist for more than a few of us. I must say though, that i had of course heard of jameys books some time ago, but im not going to go around and buy them as there is so much here to learn.

It would be alright to see him post here sometime, but if he doesnt i donīt think that should be a reason to put off reading his stuff (free stuff on here i mean) where something useful and inspiring might come up....umm scratch the useful, stick with inspiring.

Anyway, im just babbling on.....one question(Question Everything...lol) did come to mid tho....Guni, who and how publishes articles on ibreathe? Maybe youd discussed this before but im curious.

Loong boring post, congratulations if you read this far
:)

Guni
06-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Koala Guni, who and how publishes articles on ibreathe? Interesting question :D

In general I'm in charge of hitting the 'Go Live' button.

Every author (once I give him author rights to the system) can enter his personal admin area where he can request new articles, upload files, edit them, etc etc ... and place a request that an article is ready for publication ...

Once I get this request I have a read through and make changes where nesessary. Clive has another proofread and that's it.

So there's an entire backend to iBreathe just for this purpose.

Guni

EricV
06-26-2003, 09:47 AM
And Guni and CLive are making it very easy for the authors to publish articles. That article admin is a great system, and sometimes, the guys spot errors and stuff, which is a big help.

I remember writing articles for Guitar4U... I sent Guni a zip with a word-document ( the text ) plus some MIDI-Files and a bunch of GIFs, and heīd put all that into a pdf-file, most of the time redoing all the TABs in the process... he always did a great job, and itīs a lot of fun to write those articles and have that kind of support ( proof-reading etc. )
Eric

Guni
06-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by EricV
I remember writing articles for Guitar4U... I sent Guni a zip with a word-document ( the text ) plus some MIDI-Files and a bunch of GIFs, and heīd put all that into a pdf-file, most of the time redoing all the TABs in the process... Phew, yeah, :D that were tough times ... one article took me about a days work :rolleyes:

We're definiely more efficient and flexible with the new system.

Guni

EricV
06-26-2003, 10:45 AM
oh, and to add something to the "who and how publishes articles" question.
Some authors upload and edit their articles themselves, others send in some stuff for Guni or me to put up.
In Mikeīs case, or in the case of Steve Morseīs articles, I get the material ( text, TAB, audio ) via Email, then I put all that into an article, sometimes adding comments or redoing TABs, and eventually, Guni does some proof-reading and puts name and photo and bio of the actual author into the article, instead of mine.
In case of Steve Morse... he is just way too busy to spend a lot of time on writing a whole column, then getting used to the article admin system ( add to that that when he is on tour, he goes online from foreign countries, sometimes with an extremely slow connection ), getting used to Powertab and a graphics-program to do the TABs etc.
We feel honored that he allowed us to use some of his exercises and advice for those articles, and it was a pleasure to put it into an article for him...

And again, for the authors, itīs a very comfy system that Guni and Clive set up, and therefore itīs really easy to write new stuff. I dunno how many articles weīd have by now if weīd still have to use the old G4U-system...
Eric

Koala
06-27-2003, 02:17 AM
So say i want to post something,
1.Id have to let Guni or Clive know
2. Send it over
3. Then Guni or CLive would decide if itīs all ok
4. Then id have another sort of login with "author credits" and from there i could post articles and edit them?

Oh and back on track, so I guess Guni gets the articles from all the non-posters like jamey and decides theyre worth putting online (as i do) ?

Ill shut up now

szulc
06-28-2003, 07:14 PM
If you want to be an author send Guni a message and tell him your idea. If he likes it and decides to let you, you will have access to the advisor area which will let you create an article online. You then submit it and Guni and Clive Proofread it. They might change it a bit or ask you to. Then they post it.