PDA

View Full Version : Big Decision!

Emptysix
06-23-2003, 02:35 AM
Alright... I'm hooked and I have been playing around with a friend's guitar just to get a feel for things (it's an old cheapo acoustic with half worn out strings) played it so much today my fingers hurt (I know that is part of it and I love it). I don't really dig acoustic guitar that much cause I like heavy riffs but it got me started... aside from heavy riffs I also really like deep brooding bass lines.. therein lies my problem...

Electric Guitar or... Bass (probably start with 4 string cause I can pick up 5 later).

I can't decide. Bass players in this area outnumber other guitarists but that just means that it will be harder for me to get with a group of people to play which is ultimately where I want to be. What do you guys think? Is one harder to learn than the other should I go with my first instinct and try bass or should I go with the electric so I can lay down those riffs I really like?

I don't expect a remarkably helpful answer just wanna know yer thoughts and to let you know how I am progressing as a beginner... I'm taking the first steps.

billybenbob
06-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Go with the one that you think will give you the most joy.

Trust your heart on this one.

Cuno
06-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Concerning switching from bass to guitar:

Playing the bass is quite different from the guitar, each instrument has it's own techniques that one must learn - like slapping, popping on the bass, and good picking and fingerpicking on the guitar. Apart from the technical view, there is also very different mental approaches depending on the instrument. But good guitar players (with a firm grasp on theory) can double rather well on bass, although mostly without any slapping, etc. Most bands I've been in have had a surplus of guitarists, and shortage of bass players, so one guitar player have doubled on bass. Recently I've had the luck to play with a real bass player (he has even worked as instructor at BIT!), and he makes a world of difference.

Ok, I guess what I'm trying to says is: choose wisely (i agree with the previous poster, do follow your heart), but choose either bass or guitar - not both.

/Cuno

Emptysix
06-24-2003, 02:08 PM
I don't think I mentioned anything about playing both... I did mention switching from a 4 string bass to a 5 string bass later so I don't have the extra B string when I am just learning.

Cuno
06-24-2003, 02:22 PM
I know, just rambling ;)

Clive
06-24-2003, 09:51 PM
I'm a real novice myself, but I have a 5 string bass (with lower B). It's the only bass I've played on, but I gotta say that the B string really comes in handy sometimes for those lower notes, and I don't reckon it'll get in the way of your learning. (if you do go for a bass that is :) )

C