PDA

View Full Version : Hanon in all it's moisture sucking confusion.

Radical144
11-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Hopfully that title got your attention.

My main quesiton is in reguards to the, well I don't know if this is the right word but the phrasing that these exercisies should be played with. There's no legato or slur marks on the music but, to what degree should the notes be disconnected? If anyone knows of where I could get recordings of them being played perfectly (I hate the word) that would be ideal.

Thanks and hello!

Malcolm
11-03-2008, 12:12 PM
As no one has jumped on this ----- you may have better luck on:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

ClashlandHands
11-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks for that link Malcolm. There are many right ways and wrong ways to practice Hanon. One wrong way would be to take his advice about going directly into the next exercise, do not pass go, do not even THINK about taking a break or your technique will suffer! This is from the ancient ruler slapping days of yore, and a sure path to RMIs. You should stop when you think is appropriate and make note of your tempo and which exercise you're one, and which key you're playing it in.

Right ways: Hanon is all written in C. I advise you not to play these in C unless you are just starting out because being all white keys, you get no variation. Play them in Db or B, and you'll have much better results. No need to cover all 12 keys, IMO. As far as phrasing, level 1 would be all legato. level 2 might be all staccato. Then beyond that the sky's the limit. Alternate each note staccato legato, then reverse. Make larger phrasing patterns such as 3 legato+3 legato+2 legato. Basically, you want to be consistent though the exercise, but vary it each time you play it for the purpose of gaining control.

Beyond varying the phrasing, you can play the same patterns and vary the rhythms:
Q Q E E Q Q E E etc.
Quarter, triplet, quarter, triplet
which will even out your rhythms and the accentuation which will even out your "velocities" for lack of a better word. Dynamic control.

Yeah, it's mindless and boring, but effective. If you want interesting you'd want to learn a Chopin Etude! Good luck!

Radical144
11-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks I would have never thought to do any of those techinques. As for a Chopin Etude, I think thats a bit much for me now, but I have learn a few of his Preludes I love his music.