PDA

View Full Version : Being Able To Play Piano By Ear

J Quest
10-16-2008, 03:11 PM
This forum has experts and really have a fine appreciation for music. So I have to ask, what steps should I take to playing piano by ear. I see alot of ads and scandals saying making easy payments of 19.95, your be playing piano by ear in no time. I dont believe that, so I want yall in take on how to do so. From learning to play by ear, I want to be able to create my own rnb/pop melodys and all. I know the basics of music, just want to continue to take it to a higher level. Let me know and I thank you in advance.

gersdal
10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Are the question:
- That you want to recreate music that you have heard on the radio (or whatever) by ear on the piano - IOW reproducing without written sheet music?
- That you want to create new music by improvisation on the piano?

What you write kind of suggest both.

J Quest
10-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Gersdal,

Yes to all of those questions.

gersdal
10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Ah well, I hope you don't have to many plans for the next ten years ;)

My 2c:

Recreating music that you have heard on the radio (or whatever) by ear on the piano - IOW reproducing without written sheet music?

- Put your pc on the piano
- Loop parts of the songs that you want to play
- Try to find the right notes on the piano
- If you find you have problems, buy the Transcribe! program, here you can among other things slow down the music.
- Write it down as soon as you have figured it out
- Do this for all parts of the song untill you have it.
It will help to study how songs normally are built, scales and chord progressions. Many songs are following a standard progressions and stick to one key / scale. Eh, and most importantly: Look for books on transcribing.

Creating new music by improvisation on the piano
If you are a beginner, don't expect the results to be extraordinary for quite a while. Study composition, improvisation and chord progressions. However, it normally comes down to:
- Sing the melody that you have created
- Find out how to play it on the piano
- Find good chords that goes along with the melody
If you don't have a melody, take a walk and sing whatever untill you find you have something good, and run home while you still remember it.

The topics that you ask for is very time consuming to learn to do great, especially the last one. There is no easy way that I'm aware of ...

Malcolm
10-16-2008, 11:06 PM
I would recommend PianoMagic.com.

http://www.pianomagic.com/

Great lessons on how to play by ear.
As far as knowing how to write a melody line from scratch. That IMHO will not be part of PianoMagic.com. That's music theory and knowing what works and what does not.

Back to PianoMagic. It's a little expensive, however, I think worth it. There is a forum support group and Mike of PM will answer questions you have on the forum. Here is what PM will have you do.

Come up with the list of songs you want to work with. Any where from 20 to 25 songs. You start working with your list and as you learn how to play by ear you flesh out those songs. Adding "decorations" to the song as you learn how to decorate. For example: Start on number one and work your way through the list doing this:

You will be using the key of C at first as that is the easiest key to play on the keyboard -- all white keys. Using C you will learn how to pick out the first note of the song. I was amazed how this one thing pulls everything else into line. Then ..........

1. Pick out the tune on your keyboard. No fair peeking at standard notation. Sing the tune and find the notes on the keyboard, as you do write the notes on a piece of paper. Standard notation does not have to enter the picture -- for example you can write notes like this:

Autumn Leaves

The fal - ing leaves
E.....F....G....> C.......
The use of < or > helps show a jump to the other octave.

After you pick the notes to the complete song you then learn how to add the chords that go with the melody notes. A little theory here, but, mostly you let your ear tell you what goes and what does not. The system guides you through this process.

OK you now have this first song to where you can play what is called left hand chicken foot chords and right hand one finger melody.

You then learn how to decorate that song with ......
Octave melody and small arpeggio chords, etc. etc.

Now --- you are probably still looking at that sheet of music you wrote the notes on. You are not yet winging it playing tunes right out of your head. That will come........ It's here lead sheet music may enter your life. Love lead sheets.

PM is a great system, well designed to let YOU learn how to play by ear. I must say there is a chance your music theory knowledge will get in the way of the ear training. Your mind wants to jump ahead, but your ear is not ready yet. This is after all an ear training system and You must let your ear catch up with your mind. If you can do that......

No question PM will get you started playing by ear. How well you play by ear depends on that old P word. Practice.

From what I've learned about how to pick out the first note of a song to what chords sound best under what melody note --- things like that have helped me better understand how to come up with a melody line from scratch.

Good luck.

joeyd929
10-17-2008, 12:21 AM
I tried playing the piano by ear and the my wife says, why don't you use your fingers? (laffs)

J Quest
10-24-2008, 02:06 AM
thank you and sorry for taking so to reply, i been without the internet for a few days from technical difficulties.

But I will try piano magic and follow the guidelines n all, I know it will take time.

gersdal, thank you for the advice, I have a good set bases on most things, time to build upon it.

J Quest
10-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Piano Magic, is WAY to much money. Does anybody else has any other advice to learn to play by ear.

I was thinking of purchasing this:

http://www.hearandplay.com/pianocoursenew.html

Malcolm
10-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I've looked at Hear and Play, but, have not purchased anything. You may give this some thought.....

I went to a music store and asked the "piano person" for a instruction book on how to play chord piano. She said she did not play chord piano and had one of the guitar tech come out to talk to me. Long story short. He plays piano / keyboard from lead sheet music or fake chord. Paying attention to nothing but the chord symbols. He accompanies his vocals with left hand / right hand chords. His voice provides the melody and the piano provides the harmony. Much like what we do when we sing and play rhythm guitar.

Some tid-bits I've picked up in the last few days.

Using that chord piano method -- do not sound every word. Shoot for every other word and let your voice carry the melody. Classic example of, when comping, less is more.

Check out these chord progressions on jazz standards -- one perhaps two chords per measure. Google will call up the lyrics - hook the two together and have fun.
http://ralphpatt.com/Song.html

Left hand playing root - octave or split the measure with inversions....
C chord.
C 1st inversion,
C 2nd inversion.
C Chord to end the measure.

Right hand -- That hint on using inversions works with the right hand also or give thought to adding the minor chords between the basic I IV V to add flavor. Making sure the minor chord you pick does harmonize with the melody note being used at that specific moment -- if they both contain some of the same notes they harmonize.....

I've also looked at some of Yoke Wong's (sp?) video lessons.
http://www.playpianotips.com/video/chordprogression.html
or this one on accompaniment.
http://www.howtoaccompany.com/
If I was to purchase anything else I'd probably get one of her lessons. She, however, is also a little expensive.

Found good help on this forum.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/37/1579.html

Good luck. If you find something -- share.

joeyd929
10-29-2008, 05:42 PM
I try and expirement with small I VI II V melodies while using the left hand to play the bass movement. There is more to "Heart and soul" than meets the ear..

The best thing for me that helps with playing by ear is practicing little pieces of music in every key. it really tunes your ear when you try and transpose in you head and practice the key changes.

J Quest
10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I've looked at Hear and Play, but, have not purchased anything. You may give this some thought.....

I went to a music store and asked the "piano person" for a instruction book on how to play chord piano. She said she did not play chord piano and had one of the guitar tech come out to talk to me. Long story short. He plays piano / keyboard from lead sheet music or fake chord. Paying attention to nothing but the chord symbols. He accompanies his vocals with left hand / right hand chords. His voice provides the melody and the piano provides the harmony. Much like what we do when we sing and play rhythm guitar.

Some tid-bits I've picked up in the last few days.

Using that chord piano method -- do not sound every word. Shoot for every other word and let your voice carry the melody. Classic example of, when comping, less is more.

Check out these chord progressions on jazz standards -- one perhaps two chords per measure. Google will call up the lyrics - hook the two together and have fun.
http://ralphpatt.com/Song.html

Left hand playing root - octave or split the measure with inversions....
C chord.
C 1st inversion,
C 2nd inversion.
C Chord to end the measure.

Right hand -- That hint on using inversions works with the right hand also or give thought to adding the minor chords between the basic I IV V to add flavor. Making sure the minor chord you pick does harmonize with the melody note being used at that specific moment -- if they both contain some of the same notes they harmonize.....

I've also looked at some of Yoke Wong's (sp?) video lessons.
http://www.playpianotips.com/video/chordprogression.html
or this one on accompaniment.
http://www.howtoaccompany.com/
If I was to purchase anything else I'd probably get one of her lessons. She, however, is also a little expensive.

Found good help on this forum.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/37/1579.html

Good luck. If you find something -- share.

This looks like some helpful information. I will check it all out and post another comment after thoroughly through all of it but Im still searching for assistance on how to play by ear. What you gave me is good with chords, melody, and chord progressions but I just want a more solid foundation to build from in order to play by ear.

This video Yoke Wong's video is real good...VERY GOOD FIND!

Malcolm
10-31-2008, 03:20 AM
My guitar instructor told me to play guitar by ear you had to practice playing by ear -- a lot.

www.musictheory.net (Trainer section) has some ear training you might check out.

Back to picking out the tune to 25 songs -- by the time I got into the 20th one it was getting easier to know if the next sound will be up scale or down scale. After I got past this up scale or down scale thing it started to click.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

J Quest
10-31-2008, 05:28 AM
Rite, but in order to do that, you have to have a solid foundatuon of the basics. I been playing by ear a little says that invovle I-VI-V progression such twist n shout, mustang sally n all.

Yea, I been to that site, its o.k., gives a little insight.

O, that sounds good. Continue to inform on your progress, and I will keep searching and doing mor practice with the basics.

Philcwm
11-20-2008, 03:19 AM
I've been using Functional Ear Trainer.

Its freeware, available here http://www.miles.be/fet.html.

It play I-III-V-I chord progression in any key followed by a note from that key which you have to guess.

Alexalin
11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
I really appreciate your posting.I think this link will help you ....have a look http://www.perfectlygrand.com/