PDA

View Full Version : It's true1

leegordo
09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
to all and sundry out there.
A pianoK/board -of any kind-, is the only musical instrument in the whole of the world which is capable of reproducing -in the proper hands- All of the conventional music that has ever been composed, or is ever likely to be composed ! Ofcourse, that does not include material that requires any Glissando or note bending! Just leave all that stuff to other types of musical istrument!
However That still leaves reams and screeds of standard conventional music which has been in existence for hundreds of years, and, very likely will be added to over the passage of time!............. Just setting the record straight..... Come on then!....... I'm waiting, but no stupid ignorant stuff Please.
leegordo

LaughingSkull
09-02-2008, 11:52 AM
All of the conventional music that has ever been composed, or is ever likely to be composed ! Ofcourse, that does not include material that requires any ...

On guitar you can play all the music that exist! Of course, that does not include material that you can't. :rolleyes:
There must be a wisdom in the quote. Or perhaps not.
I am glad that there are different instruments in existence. I don't think anyone can say one is in all aspects absolutely better than others.

NG7
09-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't see the point of this thread.

Help?

jimc8p
09-02-2008, 03:53 PM
The point of it is for 'us' to decry the piano, clutching our guitars defensively with an ever more acute sense of the inferiority complex Leegordo is attempting to nurture.

leegordo
09-03-2008, 03:14 PM
The point of it is for 'us' to decry the piano, clutching our guitars defensively with an ever more acute sense of the inferiority complex Leegordo is attempting to nurture.
Hey, at last you got it Great, now I can relax and enjoy my Oscar Peterson and Joe Pass CDs Without having to coach all you young guitarists out there How It really is in the world of music!
leegordo

NG7
09-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Guys I haven't been around these forums as long as some.

Is this some sort of in-joke?

LaughingSkull
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
No, leegordo is for real.
Last I heard Joe Pass, he played a guitar.

leegordo
09-04-2008, 02:27 PM
No, leegordo is for real.
Last I heard Joe Pass, he played a guitar.
Yea, only one of the best ever you forgot to mention!............A--N--D what about Oscar Peterson, whom you also neglected to mention?

leegordo

LaughingSkull
09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I have OP's records (vinyl) as I have many of jazz greats such as Davis, Mingus, PArker, Jarrett etc. But I am open minded, my listening taste does not stop there.

scottgb
09-05-2008, 10:05 AM
If you cant bend notes or play glissando on piano then you cant play certain stuff so piano cant be used to play all music right :confused:

Guess I've missed something here.

jimc8p
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Just leave all that stuff to other types of musical istrument! (Although he forgets that Kboards can have pitch bend wheels and a million other functions).

To set the record straight, Leegordo is trying to start a fight by exclaiming that the piano is the most suitable instrument on which to play music. He feels that this should be a thorn in the side of the many guitarists on these forums. He cannot grasp (or ignores) the fact that what he claims is true and accepted by everyone.

NG7
09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
I too had trouble figuring out exactly who he was arguing with.

gersdal
09-05-2008, 04:37 PM
A pianoK/board -of any kind-, is the only musical instrument in the whole of the world which is capable of reproducing -in the proper hands Oh, leegordo. Damn. Why didn't you tell me that 30 years ago? All these years are wasted :confused:

:D

leegordo
09-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Just leave all that stuff to other types of musical istrument! (Although he forgets that Kboards can have pitch bend wheels and a million other functions).

To set the record straight, Leegordo is trying to start a fight by exclaiming that the piano is the most suitable instrument on which to play music. He feels that this should be a thorn in the side of the many guitarists on these forums. He cannot grasp (or ignores) the fact that what he claims is true and accepted by everyone.
Ok Ok I will do something that none of you other members out there have ever done, and, that is to admit that I got it wrong on two issues, 1st, by 'conventional music', I meant music that was written to be performed without any Note- bending( many thousands of compositions) 2ndly, I forgot about K/boards being able to bend notes etc' Now, for the benefit of all members who apparently are unable to read properly, I stated that a K/board is the most suitable insrtument " TO LEARN THE THEORY OF MUSIC ON"........I suspect a deliberate attempt at misquoting me, in order to Express your dislike of my opinions I also KNOW that you'll never admit that!
leegordo

jimc8p
09-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Now, for the benefit of all members who apparently are unable to read properly, I stated that a K/board is the most suitable insrtument " TO LEARN THE THEORY OF MUSIC ON"........
Actually, all you said about K/board is that it's the most "CAPABLE OF REPRODUCING". There wasn't anything about theory...(unless you're expecting people to integrate all of your mindless posting over the last year).

And anyway, there is no better instrument on which to learn theory OR reproduce music. Leegordo - you really need something much more 'controversial' to upset anyone.

CC323
09-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Yeah, and actually the mechanics and reading of an uncrossed tuning chapman stick instrument are easier to master than that of a piano, and the range can be quite easily extended with no real difficulty added to the reading, so stating that piano is the best is actually quite asinine. Also, because the piano is such an incredible and amazing instrument, why don't you try to play entire allan holdsworth pieces (minus any glissando or bending) doing the guitar and bass parts? Or is that not conventional music because you say so?

JonR
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Ok Ok I will do something that none of you other members out there have ever done, and, that is to admit that I got it wrong on two issues, 1st, by 'conventional music', I meant music that was written to be performed without any Note- bending( many thousands of compositions) 2ndly, I forgot about K/boards being able to bend notes etc' Now, for the benefit of all members who apparently are unable to read properly, I stated that a K/board is the most suitable insrtument " TO LEARN THE THEORY OF MUSIC ON"........I suspect a deliberate attempt at misquoting me, in order to Express your dislike of my opinions I also KNOW that you'll never admit that!
leegordoThis is nonsensical.
As you obviously know, the piano has been the workhorse of classical composition for centuries - and of most jazz composition for a century, I'd wager. And tin-pan alley pop compositions too.
"I meant music that was written to be performed without any Note- bending" - Right. You meant music written on a piano, for a piano. Therefore, piano is best for playing that music. What a revelation.
You agree you don't mean ALL music, so your argument is pointless.

I'd agree that you can play MORE music (much more) on piano than on any other instrument. I think that goes without saying.
But whether you can play it better, or whether it sounds better, is another matter.
Eg, you can make a stab at playing vocal melodies, guitar pieces, violin pieces, trumpet pieces, mongolian nose-flute pieces, etc etc... All the notes should be available on the keyboard (subject to maybe non-equal temperament on a mongolian nose-flute, I wouldn't know).
But it won't sound nearly as good as when played on the instrument the piece was designed for.

You have good grounds for saying western music THEORY (even most western music) is best understood on a piano. Don't try and extend it into other areas (playing any kind of music) unless you're looking for a stupid argument. You're not looking for a stupid argument, by any chance, are you??? :rolleyes:

If you are, here's one:
"the piano is incapable of emotional expression."
(There is truth there, but of course I'm making a teasing generalisation ;).)

leegordo
09-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Actually, all you said about K/board is that it's the most "CAPABLE OF REPRODUCING". There wasn't anything about theory...(unless you're expecting people to integrate all of your mindless posting over the last year).

And anyway, there is no better instrument on which to learn theory OR reproduce music. Leegordo - you really need something much more 'controversial' to upset anyone.
Hi jimc8p, AS USUAL, YOU ARE ONE OF THE WISE KNOW-ALLS OUT THERE WHO. HAVE COME INTO THE DISCUSSIONS LONG AFTER I STATED THAT THE PIANO IS THE MOST SUITABLE INSTRUMENT ON WHICH TO LEARN THE THEORY OF MUSIC. IF YOU NEED TO CHECK THAT, YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO GO LOOK FOR IT!SO -O WISE-GUY
DON'T COME MOANING TO ME ANY MORE

JonR
09-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Hi jimc8p, AS USUAL, YOU ARE ONE OF THE WISE KNOW-ALLS OUT THERE WHO. HAVE COME INTO THE DISCUSSIONS LONG AFTER I STATED THAT THE PIANO IS THE MOST SUITABLE INSTRUMENT ON WHICH TO LEARN THE THEORY OF MUSIC. IF YOU NEED TO CHECK THAT, YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO GO LOOK FOR IT!SO -O WISE-GUY
DON'T COME MOANING TO ME ANY MORE"discussions"??? You want discussion? Then why turn everything into a playground fight?

OK, OK, I accept your dad is bigger than my dad. Can you leave us alone now?

(My apologies for descending to your level occasionally, it's hard to resist.)

ClashlandHands
10-25-2008, 07:33 AM
to all and sundry out there.
A pianoK/board -of any kind-, is the only musical instrument in the whole of the world which is capable of reproducing -in the proper hands- All of the conventional music that has ever been composed, or is ever likely to be composed ! Ofcourse, that does not include material that requires any Glissando or note bending! Just leave all that stuff to other types of musical istrument!
However That still leaves reams and screeds of standard conventional music which has been in existence for hundreds of years, and, very likely will be added to over the passage of time!............. Just setting the record straight..... Come on then!....... I'm waiting, but no stupid ignorant stuff Please.
leegordo
Since this is the season of political change here in the U.S., in true political style, I'm going to respond to the comment that I wish Leegordo made rather than what drivel actually came out. I agree that with a piano one has perhaps a greater dynamic range, a greater range of timbres and a greater pitch range than any other instrument I know. And, I like the fact it's like having a veritable orchestra at my fingertips. And, more importantly, I like the fact that the number of ways one could voice a particular chord are numerous. Many more than what a guitarist can achieve. However, I also know many musicians and vocalists ;) who choose to work with guitarists over pianists specifically because of their limited capacity to voice chords. They like a simpler canvas to work on. Let me school you a bit on four basic families of instruments of which two the piano falls in: There are woodwinds, brass, stringed instruments and percussion. Now, much of the world's music is for wind instruments, which means notes that are sustained. I don't know if you noticed, but pianos cannot sustain notes. In fact, if you look down at the floor there's a pedal that helps give the illusion of sustaining due to the instant decay. Winds can sustain. An electric guitar with severe compression can sustain. Not a piano. Neither can a piano crescendo a tone, or give vibrato to a tone. We're talking a serious body of work here that the piano can't reproduce! Um... and how about all that vocal music. I mean, I talk to my piano sometimes, but it rarely talks back. So, brass... out. Strings... out (Adagio for strings sounds like balls on piano!) Woodwinds, right out. Percussion... well, it is a percussion instrument, so you can beat the sides like a cajón, or play some agogo bell parts in the upper register, or flick the pedals. And, you can hold down keys and strum it like a zither. But, none of this makes your ridiculous claim any less inane.

Thank you though for introducing me to the word 'screeds' though. Somehow this escaped my lexicon, and I will be sure to use it in the future if I need to refer to your posts.