View Full Version : Help me name this chord.. please

jaywhy13
08-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Okay...
LH: F C Eb
RH: Ab B Eb Ab
An online chord finder has come up with the following:
F m flat5 7th w5
However... I'm thinking that there's probably another name for each. That might be shorter. I've seen chords like A|E where u play an E chord and and A chord or something similar, could the same be applied here to give the chord a shorter name?

Malcolm
08-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I did not come up with that same F chord name, how about........

Your F C Eb is an F7 minus the 3rd interval. Or a dominant 7th power chord not sure what to call it, but, using .......

Major chord is R + 4 + 3
Minor chord is R + 3 + 4

Root plus 4 - 4 what? Four notes - four black and or white notes. So any Major chord is made by sounding the Root note then add 4 notes then add 3 notes.

Any minor chord is made by sounding the Root note then add 3 notes then add 4 notes.

Now beyond that you start adding the extensions.
6th like an A6 is R + 4 + 3 + 2 The plus 2 will add a 6th to any Major or minor note.

7th as in A7 or the dominant seventh --- the extension would be a 3 for
R + 4 + 3 + 3 for a Major dominant seventh.

The maj7 extension will be and add 4

The minor diminished chord is:
R + 3 because it's a minor chord and now as it's diminished you will not add the 4 you add just a 3 for R + 3 + 3

So your:
F, . C,. Eb
R + 7 + 3 for F7 less 3

Ab, B, .Eb,. Ab
R + 3 + 4 + 5 is an Abm -- what? Octave???? Abm/Ab, no how about Abm#11

Lets see what others come up with.

dublshot
08-11-2008, 04:09 AM
F C Eb Ab B Eb Ab

F blues without the 11th (Bb)

or maybe a B prometheus neopolitan without the b7 (A)

jaywhy13
08-11-2008, 10:51 AM
F C Eb Ab B Eb Ab

F blues without the 11th (Bb)

or maybe a B prometheus neopolitan without the b7 (A)

I don't understand... F blues? Isn't that a scale? And what's prometheus .... ?

Malcolm
08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
You are in the piano section. The OP was asking about piano chords.

LH: F C Eb
RH: Ab B Eb Ab
But, interesting ----- using LH & RH like a scale run ----- I'll play around with this and see where that takes us.....

jimc8p
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I think it's pretty much as you say - Fm7 with an Augmented 4th. It's likely to sound like this anyway (and the B will probably want to resolve up to C).

F C Eb
R 5 m7

Ab B Eb Ab
m3 A4 m7 m3

JonR
08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree, Fm7#4 (Fm7#11) is the best name. It fits the C harmonic minor scale - and also the F HW dim scale.
The latter suggests that you could raise the lower Ab to A and turn it into an F7alt chord:

F-C-Eb | A-B-Eb-Ab = F7#9#11

jaywhy13
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Okay, I might as well add some context... I got it from this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJK2YZcQQ5k)...
The first chord was the one I showed earlier
LH: F C Eb RH: Ab B Eb Ab
Then he moved on to
LH: Bb RH: Ab B F

A song being played in the key of Db. Those series of chords were like a little passing phrase on the way to the minor of the 2nd ... (Eb).

So essentially, it looks like a III-VI-II chordal movement.

The song was "I need you to survive" .. the chord comes in about 1:12 in the video. Have a look. :)

dublshot
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't understand... F blues? Isn't that a scale? And what's prometheus .... ?

Yes that is a scale name, and everyone should have a reference to look up chords and scales to avoid confusion.

I was just offering another way of looking at it - instead of a chord name with and added note, a possible scale name minus a note. The best name for a chord like this depends on the situation - and you are not wrong if you want to treat it like a scale.

I didn't know you were just trying to figure out a song instead of puting your own song together, where possible chord extensions, which often results in a common scale, are useful.

There are alternant chord names for 5, and 6 note scales. Plus, chords can be used like scales, and scales like chords. Whether to refer to it as a scale minus a note, or a chord plus a note, shouldn't matter. Again, it depends on the situation, but its just a name. Why sweat it?

JonR
08-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Okay, I might as well add some context... I got it from this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJK2YZcQQ5k)...
The first chord was the one I showed earlier
LH: F C Eb RH: Ab B Eb Ab
Then he moved on to
LH: Bb RH: Ab B F

A song being played in the key of Db. Those series of chords were like a little passing phrase on the way to the minor of the 2nd ... (Eb).

So essentially, it looks like a III-VI-II chordal movement. It's resolving to Ebm, it's better to think of the preceding chord as a secondary dominant: Bb-Ab-B-F is a partial Bb7b9, the V of Ebm.
The F chord before that would then be V of Bb - or rather the ii of Ebm. Conventionally this would be Fm7b5 (F-Ab-B-Eb) - which means the C in the left hand is an oddity.
In fact, looking at the video, it's not at all clear he presses the C in the left hand (I can't hear it for sure either). And he adds a D in the right hand on the Bb7b9 (you can't quite see it, but it's clearly audible).
LH: Bb-F; RH: Ab-B-D-F

So it's really a conventional ii-V-i in Eb minor.