PDA

View Full Version : So I just bought a Piano

bluepowder
06-25-2008, 05:47 AM
I bought myself a second hand Niemeyer....:D ...started with my first piano lesson...Grade 1....wish there was an easier way to play Chopin

So what do you guys recommend for(beginners)
(1) Exercises to improve finger strength and movement
(2) knowledge

And what pieces can you recommend for beginners(I pick up pretty fast)

Basically I wanna learn some stuff that I can play for an audience(musicians+ non musicians)...you know:p ....

Oh and how how long before Im playing Chopin???;)

Malcolm
06-25-2008, 12:00 PM
(2) knowledge
1). Scales. Scales. Scales. Copy the information on page 3 of the following link. http://www.cmmusicschool.org/pdfs/fingering.pdf
Don't let this paper scare you off it contains more than you will ever need, but page 3 will be a great help. O'h, did I mention scales? LOL Both hands up scale then both down scale, then one hand up scale and the other down scale -- at the same time, then two octaves of the same scale / up and back, etc.

2). Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course - level one and the theory book that goes along with it. I think they are now combined into one book. One other instructional book worth reading is How to play the piano despite years of lessons by Ward Cannel and Fred Marx.

3). Brush up on your reading skills. Recommend flash cards. My instructor gave me a deck and told me when I could flash a card and say the name of the note in the same amount of time it took me to say my name ---- THEN I would be ready to call myself a piano player. She was correct.

4). Practice - then in a couple of months you will have a decision to make about your instructor. Are you going to be satisfied to play by rote with sheet music or do you want to play by ear. Most piano teachers do not teach how to play by ear, in fact will discourage it. I elected to go this route and have used DVD lessons for the past three months. Recommend Pete Sears DVD Learn to play Piano -- this is an inexpensive get you started DVD. Beyond that Google video lessons and I highly recommend PianoMagic.com. With the help of PianoMagic I am now improvising left hand, right hand simple blues improv and working out the tune by ear to my favorite songs. Sure still with block chords -- but both hands are working together.

I have a path to follow and I'm enjoying every step. Now to your question of how long till I take it public. Quite awhile, probably a year, however, friends are welcome to listen now.

You asked what songs?

Of course, Mary had a little lamb, Yankee Doodle, Row, Row your boat, We gather together, When the Saints go marching in, Greensleeves, Good night Irene, Michael row your boat, Auld Lang Zyne, Braham's Lullaby, Amazing Grace, You are my sunshine, and just recently I'm adding some jazz standards like Autumn Leaves, Fly me to the moon, and Misty plus the blues and natural minor scale in C, F, G, A and D for right hand improv. Should mention all those songs are in the key of C --- all white keys and my left hand is still doing basic block chords nothing fancy yet.

Mentioned I have a path -- I'm to work up 25 songs I can play all the way through -- then using these 25 I use them to learn new skills, i.e. stride chording, boom chuck, arpeggio runs, right hand octave and chord fingering, etc. Those 25 should keep me busy for quite some time.

Good luck.

Terratrum
06-25-2008, 09:45 PM
1). Scales. Scales. Scales. Copy the information on page 3 of the following link. http://www.cmmusicschool.org/pdfs/fingering.pdf
Don't let this paper scare you off it contains more than you will ever need, but page 3 will be a great help. O'h, did I mention scales? LOL Both hands up scale then both down scale, then one hand up scale and the other down scale -- at the same time, then two octaves of the same scale / up and back, etc.

If we want to play A minor, do we start on that "neutral" C key or the A key?

Malcolm
06-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Well the notes for the C scale and Am scale are the same as Am is the relative minor of the C scale. But, if you want to play the Am scale, yes start on the A.

Same fingering for both -- right hand 12312345 and 54321321 for the left hand.

Terratrum
06-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Thank you suh, another obvious quandary conquered.

bluepowder
06-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Thank you Sir...that was very very helpful!!!!...I cant wait for my piano to come in.....another 2 days.....

I am currently learning from Alfred's course...I have been playing guitar for 5 years so my ear i developed pretty ok....my music theory is ok at a basic level too...so Im gonna try and pick this up as fast as possible....

my current dream is to play chopin...i just love listening to chopin....:D

Malcolm
06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Good luck, your knowledge and experience with the guitar will flow to the keyboard very easily.

Have fun.

Terratrum
06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Thank you Sir...that was very very helpful!!!!...I cant wait for my piano to come in.....another 2 days.....

I am currently learning from Alfred's course...I have been playing guitar for 5 years so my ear i developed pretty ok....my music theory is ok at a basic level too...so Im gonna try and pick this up as fast as possible....

my current dream is to play chopin...i just love listening to chopin....:D

DITTO!!!

Except it's more of 4 1/2 on the Git and I was given my keys back in winter.

It's all about Bachsichord and virtually anything by Faur'e. And yes organ by anyone who can blow me away.

bluepowder
07-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Ok so I was playing on the piano..and on the lowest bass notes(which i never play:P) the C major chord has strong dissonance...out of tune? or is it supposed to sound scary:D

Malcolm
07-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Little late in answering --- leave out the 3rd on the lower chords. This makes them power chords (1-5) and they do seem to sound "better" not as cluttered.

Malcolm

Jed
07-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Ok so I was playing on the piano..and on the lowest bass notes(which i never play:P) the C major chord has strong dissonance...out of tune? or is it supposed to sound scary:D

From http://www.berklee.edu/core/glossary.html "Terms Used in Arranging"

Low Interval Limit - The lowest point of an interval (from minor second to major 10th) below which the interval begins to sound muddy or indistinct. The limits are not absolutes, but represent areas below which there is a real risk that the resultant sound will not work well within a normal harmonic context.

Translation: Each interval has some range of pitch below which the interval loses the sound / effect that the same interval exhibits at a higher pitch. For suggested lower limits for various intervals follow the link below.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/index.php?find=04/21/2005

cheers,

bluepowder
07-09-2008, 09:46 AM
ok phew...i just got my piano tuned so i thought dam!!!:D

whats a good beginner classical piece?

Malcolm
07-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Do a Google on:

Yoke Wong, The Swan
Yoke Wong, Moonlight Sonata
Yoke Wong, Arioso

www.playpianotips.com then Fur Elise

bluepowder
07-28-2008, 06:04 AM
I just got Sonny Chua level II....very nice.....

ndrewoods
12-09-2011, 02:21 AM
I bought myself a second hand Niemeyer....:D ...started with my first piano lessons (http://takelessons.com/category/piano-lessons)...Grade 1....wish there was an easier way to play Chopin

(2) knowledge

And what pieces can you recommend for beginners(I pick up pretty fast)

Basically I wanna learn some stuff that I can play for an audience(musicians+ non musicians)...you know:p ....

Oh and how how long before Im playing Chopin???;)
Well for beginners, Hanon exercises would be helpful. And of course, try to practice once a day on what you've learned in your lessons. May I just ask, are you taking piano lessons with a teacher or just online? Cause if you have a teacher, well I guess you can ask him/her those things.

Malcolm
12-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Well for beginners, Hanon exercises would be helpful. And of course, try to practice once a day on what you've learned in your lessons. May I just ask, are you taking piano lessons with a teacher or just online? Cause if you have a teacher, well I guess you can ask him/her those things.
Ndrewoods and Bluepowder were active in 2008, have not seen them in a while, you've jumped on an old string.

Have fun.

chitarrista
01-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Malcolm...this may be an old string. But your link to Yoke Wong's page is terrific! ^_^

Malcolm
01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Yes, she is great. Little expensive for my hobby budget now that I'm retired, but she has good "stuff".