PDA

View Full Version : Emotion and Meaing in Music

Koala
05-31-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey guys i thought iŽd just share two fantastic, and i mean kickass books on music i just read. I got them both off amazon.

1. Music, the brain and ecstasy by Robert Jourdain

2. Emotion and meaning in music by Leonard B. Meyer

Both these books are about music and what it does to us. Very well written and theyre sure to change the way you listen to music.

I reallllly recommend them.

Wyll_Watts
05-31-2003, 04:36 PM
Sounds cool man! could you give a short description of what is covered in them? I'm always interested in the emotional and mental philosophy of music..

Wyll

Koala
05-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Wyll_Watts
Sounds cool man! could you give a short description of what is covered in them? I'm always interested in the emotional and mental philosophy of music..

Wyll

Hey Wyll, heres something on music, the brain and ecstasy

From Publishers Weekly
Synthesizing recent research from the burgeoning science of musical psychoacoustics, Jourdain, a California musician, provides a richly informative, exuberant, wonderfully accessible introduction to how we perceive and experience music. Choosing examples eclectically, from Henry Mancini's "The Pink Panther" to Mozart, Stravinsky and Duke Ellington, he explores how, when we compose, perform or listen to music, the brain assembles musical devices, patterns and harmonies into vast, meaningful hierarchies of sound. He also offers tantalizing if inevitably unsatisfying answers to such age-old enigmas as what makes a great melody or how music elicits emotions and gives pleasure. Requiring no prior musical or scientific knowledge, this survey is sprinkled with interesting historical anecdotes (Beethoven was an early victim of metronome mania; Aaron Copland hit upon the title Appalachian Spring only after he had finished composing his tone poem) as well as seldom-appreciated facts. We learn, for instance, that musical dissonance and consonance have a neurological basis, in the inner ear's structure. Jourdain writes with verve, infectious enthusiasm and rare insight into music's emotive power.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc

and a litlle on emotion and meaning in music

"Altogether it is a book that should be required reading for any student of music, be he composer, performer, or theorist. It clears the air of many confused notions . . . and lays the groundwork for exhaustive study of the basic problem of music theory and aesthetics, the relationship between pattern and meaning."--David Kraehenbuehl, Journal of Music Theory

Wyll_Watts
05-31-2003, 08:43 PM
interesting stuff man.. I think I'll have to pick up these books, good subject matter.. if you ever get the chance take a glance at Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony and the book What Art Is (esthetic theories based on Rand's Objectivist philosphy) both offer some interesting philosophical discussions of music and art in gerneral and come from two very different persepctives, yet the both make very strong points.. after you've had time to digest the info from those two books you mentioned maybe you can pose some interesting questions for discussion around here..

Wyll

Koala
06-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks Wyll ill check those out.

DemonFire
06-07-2003, 09:05 PM
I love the meaning of lyrics and how they meld with the natural energy of the music to produce that subconscious spiritual height.
Thats why I like Tool so much.