PDA

View Full Version : amplifier tone

jade_bodhi
03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I have a question that I don't think is strictly a gear question. I need an amp for my keyboard, which I only spent 500 bucks on, and here's my question:

Will a bass amp provide as good a tone to a cheap keyboard as a piano amp of similar wattage? I notice, as a general rule, the bass amps give more wattage for the money.

Teletubby
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I think the bass amp is geared more towards the specific frequencies which bass guitars put out...a piano has a much higher range than a bass so yeah.

mattblack850
03-20-2008, 05:07 PM
I think the bass amp is geared more towards the specific frequencies which bass guitars put out...a piano has a much higher range than a bass so yeah.
Exactly that! It's designed for handling the lower frequencies and would sound 'constricted' or 'muffled' when the higher register keys were being used.

Marlbhoro
03-22-2008, 04:14 AM
well, what is your goal for the amp, do you want to gig with it,or is it a practice amp, and how much does tone matter to you, a bass amp will give you noise, it will sound muffled but it will work, for 400 id either get a fender reverb amp of what i have a behringer k3000fx....

borge
03-25-2008, 05:28 AM
are bass and keys not BOTH considered "full range" instruments?
strictly in the sense of sound reproduction, which is why many bass amps (just like key amps) have horns (unheard of for guitar amps:a "limited range instrument") to reproduce the full range created by the instrument.

Jed
03-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Jade,

As other have said, typically you want to run keyboards through an ultra-clean, full-range amp. So anything from headphones, to computer speakers, to a hi-fi system (home stereo), to a keyboard amp, to powered monitors, to a PA system would be appropriate.

A guitar amp would be the worst choice, but still might be appropriate if you are looking for something just for practice (and if you already have one). Bass amps tend to have higher wattage because it takes more power to reproduce the low frequencies at similar volumes compared to high frequencies. A bass amp would typically be a better choice than a guitar amp, but still not the best choice.

I run my keyboard through powered monitors. $500 is on the low end of a decent amplification system for a keyboard. People used to run their Fender Rhodes keyboards through hi-powered / clean guitar amps.

cheers,

jade_bodhi
03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I run my keyboard through powered monitors. $500 is on the low end of a decent amplification system for a keyboard. People used to run their Fender Rhodes keyboards through hi-powered / clean guitar amps.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm glad there was consensus because I really didn't know where to turn. As to my needs...

I do have a couple guitar amps, which when used when I practice my keys, sound way better than the dinky speakers in the keyboard.

My intention is to play keyboard in small gigs with small combos: guitar, drums, bass, harmonica, lap steel, and me on keyboard. So I need an amplifier that I can keep next to me for my own reference; the keys can be sent through the PA.

I had not considered a powered monitor as Jed suggested. That might be the best thing for me. Thanks for the suggestions. I believe I'll start comparing keyboard amps to powered monitors. I tried to keep this discussion from becoming a comparison of brand names so the moderators wouldn't disapprove. Thank you all for helping me do that.

Jade

jade_bodhi
04-11-2008, 10:20 PM
If somebody is knowledgeable about my topic in this thread and is willing to let me ask some gear questions of them in a brief series of private messages, I would greatly appreciate your help. I'm looking for used equipment. If interested, please respond here or send me a private message. Thank you.