PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Lane

Fionn
05-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Hey there

I was wondering if there is anywhere i can find Shawn Lane tabs, or if there are plans to do a Shawn Lane 101 on this site? his stuff is just so difficult to transcribe at times, and he's so underrated.

he's one of these guys that when you think you're already quite good, then you listen to him and realise how much you have to learn.

it's such a pity, that such an amazing guitarist gets very little credit, and i think this is the right place to ask for some transcriptions or something.

Thanks
Fionn

Wyll_Watts
05-20-2003, 02:05 AM
Hey there,

Glad to see you dig the Shawn Lane stuff. Shawn is one of my big influences, more his phrasing than speed since I'm not really a super-fast player. Check out www.tarsun.net That is a place called the Shawn Lane Pages, look under the press section and you'll find pleanty of articles and lessons pertaining to Shawn Lane. I wouldn't call Shawn underrated since everyone who gets to see him play almost always loves it or is at least impressed. It just seems he is not well known outside of some shredder and fusion circles. I've seen him live a few times and sat by to watch some private jams he did with some guitarists in Virginia and while it usually takes him a few minutes to get cranked up, once he is in that zone.. wow, some really great musical ideas just flowing and flowing.. anyways.. check out those lessons and stuff. As far as exact transcriptions I've seen very few except for some a past teacher of mine had done, I wish I had copied those!

Wyll

Oceano
05-20-2003, 12:56 PM
I believe the book is called "Shawn Lane, power licks and solos"

I have this book (comes with a CD), and it's kind of like a detailed look into Shawn's technique. This book was published by Warner Brothers.

Oceano
05-20-2003, 12:58 PM
there are also 4 fully transcribed songs (from Powers of ten) at the end of the book. The rest of the book are just exercises, licks, solos, etudes, etc.

Wyll_Watts
05-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Hey Oceano,

How long ago did you get that book? I tried to order it through some local print music stores about a year ago and the distributors never delivered. I have a Shawn Lane video that's pretty cool.. but I never realized that there were whole songs at the end of that book.. I'll have to go on the hunt..

Wyll

Oceano
05-20-2003, 03:55 PM
I have had the book for about 6 years at least, but I know it is still available. In fact, I came across a few copies last week in a local music store.

The name of the book is "Power licks and solos". I think it is a combination of the stuff from both of his videos, but it includes 4 full songs.

Fionn
05-20-2003, 06:03 PM
i have 3 Shawn Lane CD's: The Tri-tone Fascination, Personae and Zenhouse. they took my a long time to enjoy, but now i love them. especially Zenhouse.

his playing is so different. it's like Eric Johnson on speed.

Oceano
05-20-2003, 06:22 PM
Have you heard the stuff he has been doing lately?

He is doing some stuff that mixes Indian music/players, with some realy wild fusion stuff, a lot of it improvised. I heard some samples, and it's great and different stuff.

EricV
05-20-2003, 08:53 PM
Didnīt he just release a new album ? About a month ago, I heard that there was a release date for a new Shawn Lane-album... May 20th...
Eric

Wyll_Watts
05-21-2003, 12:56 AM
Eric,

There is a May 20th release for a Shawn Lane album, called All For Today.. but!!!! It's not Shawn Lane the shredder it's Shawn Lane the mandolin player and bluegrass artist... Those two guys get confused with each other alot when they play gigs around here.. I've seen shred-heads show up at the bluegrass concerts and bluegrass guys show up at the fusion shows, but it's all good music and they are both great players in their particular styles..

Wyll

EricV
05-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Oh ok, that clears it up :)
Eric

EricV
05-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Well, I just watched the "power Licks" video again, hadnīt seen it in a while.
God, this dude is a monster. I mean, heīs sitting there, playing those runs at absolutely unbelievable speed without much effort. And some of his ideas are great.

Anyway, I remember, years ago, at the GIT, I first heard about him. The guys there were talking about him a lot. I was like "Well, I havenīt heard him play". So someone played me the legendary Shawn Lane-version of "All Along The Watchtower".
At first it was "OK, he plays those Hendrix-licks pretty much note by note... not bad". Then the "main-solo" came up ( the one that starts with that slide-part Jimi played with a Bic ). Shawn played some really cool stuff then, played the beginning of that legendary Wah-part and then he started to play his own licks...
I was like "Dude, what is THAT ? What planet is this guy from ?"

I later got the "Powers Of Ten" album, and itīs still one of my favorite albums. Not only because there is some unbelievable guitar-playing on there, but also because I love the songs... some very deep stuff, and some of the songs remind me a lot of Morseīs "High Tension Wires" album or the stuff Eric Johnson used to do on his first three albums.

Anyway, I still love that album, and I also dig "Tritone Fascination"... amazing stuff

One of the most unique players out there, not only regarding technique ( itīs a bummer he has to deal with arthritis these days ! Also, AFAIK he had a lot of bad luck in recent years, being ripped off a few times.. )

Just thought I might share :)

Eric

Wyll_Watts
05-30-2003, 10:44 PM
good points Eric..

Have you checked out the stuff he does with Hellborg and Sipe? That's some far out stuff.. especially with all the Indian influences that have really taken root in their playing..

The guy is a monster player live... the health problems seem to drag on him a bit, but the few times I've seen him.. he.. took his 'medication'..and he was back to full functionality.. His piano work is pretty impressive too...

I had never heard of him until I heard him in a bar playing some really far out stuff.. then I was just like dude, I've found god.. lol..
Obviously, he's one of my fav players.. Hopefully his future will hold better luck from the business side of things..

Wyll

EricV
05-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I heard some of the Hellborg / Lane / Sipe stuff. Also, last year I watched that concert that is available for download on some website ( I think itīs the Abstract Logic Website... ).
Great stuff, very "live", improvised, spontaneous.

Another cool record is the "Centrifugal Funk" album with Shawn, Brett Garsed and Frank Gambale. Great playing by all of them. The short Lane-solospot was actually him warming up. He didnīt want to record an unaccompanied solo, so Varney recorded him warming up and put that on the album without telling him.

Even before POT was released, he obviously was pretty well-known among guitar-players... there are these stories about Billy Gibbons falling off a chair when he heard Shawn play, or guys like George Lynch and Kirk Hammett hearing him in a club in TN... those guys were pretty blown away too and spread the word.

I once saw a video of a Paul Gilbert-workshop, must have been the late 80s or early 90s ( Thorsten knows which one I am talking about ). Even back then, Gilbert mentioned Lane, called him an amazing player. He played this weird, diminished-sounding lick requiring wide left-hand stretches and right hand-taps. Then he said "The difference is, Shawn plays stuff like this with the left hand only..."

And the songwriting... Man, I do love "Rules Of The Game", itīs beautiful, and the guitar melodies, even those noises where he slides down the strings before he actually plays still give me goosebumps...
Eric

Thorsten
05-31-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by EricV

I once saw a video of a Paul Gilbert-workshop, must have been the late 80s or early 90s ( Thorsten knows which one I am talking about ).

Yeah...I do remember that one. There was this other video of a Gilbert workshop in germany where Paul was explaining some weird, complicated string skipping lick and Paulīs like:"Itīs too hard, nobody can play this...except Shawn Lane!":D

I think that says it all!

TK