PDA

View Full Version : pletora and hemiola?

Batboy
05-19-2003, 04:30 AM
What is a pletor and hemiola¿?
Please give me some examples:confused:

daviej
05-19-2003, 08:37 AM
hemiola = when you change the accents on a particular rhythm (of course this rhythm may exist within a melody) to imply a time signature other than the one you are actually in, eg say you are in 6/8, in which the strong beats are on :

> | | > | | (where > represents an accented quaver, and > represents an unaccented note)

If you start accenting like this: > | > | > |
then you are implying 3/4. Try counting out the quavers: 1 2 3 4 5 6, and clapping on the accented notes, changing between 6/8 and 3/4 (ie clapping on 1 and 3 for 6/8, and 1, 3, and 5 for 3/4).

I've never come across the word pletor before

David

metaljustice83
05-19-2003, 03:38 PM
to me those words sound like some health problem, but I'm learning I guess :) :)

Wyll_Watts
05-26-2003, 02:58 AM
on the term pletora..

isn't pletora the spanish (or maybe italian) version of the english word plethora? I'm probably wrong..

but plethora loosely means "a lot" or "overabundance"

plethora also refers to a medical condition, but I think it's commonly called something else now..

hmmm.. doesn't really clear things up much but I tried.. :)

Wyll

The Bash
05-26-2003, 03:46 AM
Plethora comes from the same Greek word meaning full or fullness. Often used to describe for some reason (many due to later translantion) excessiveness or as Wyll said overabundence.

Pletora I'm clueless though you may have a point :)

Not sure musically what it means, maybe it refers to what I sometimes do when I'm writing something out and stick too many beats in the measure, cause I hadda blonde moment. Though I ususally call this stupid :)

Actually though some of Zappa's stuffs in two tempos or time signatures or both at the same time, that is between two diffrent
instruments. If you try to write it all out in one temp or timesign
you do get that kinna thing of two many beats crammed into a measure or too few depending.