PDA

View Full Version : Big Hands via the knife

william9636
02-02-2008, 05:45 AM
I often read or hear that a famous composer from the past slit the webbing in their fingers to make their hands larger. Sometimes the anecdote is about Liszt, sometimes it is Rachmaninov.

Is there any conclusive evidence either way about this, because I cannot believe that either man would need to improve their playing in such a way. Anyone have any thoughts?

(I assume no-one here has first hand experience).

Timestorm
02-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Cheers for that man. I just ate. Sounds like the Jackass paper cuts skit gone awry. Hahaha, sorry, can't help you! Boy... am i glad i logged on today....

Teletubby
02-02-2008, 06:41 PM
LAWL...

Wont be long...plastic surgeons will be offering finger extenzionz ftw!!?! :o

:(

Spekko
02-14-2008, 07:17 AM
I think the story originates because bronze casts taken of Liszt's hands show that, while his hands weren't particularly large, the webbing normal human hands have was almost non-existent.

I've actually heard the same thing about Joe Satriani... so I'm willing to bet that, while at some point someone in history has tried this, it hasn't been any of the names commonly associated with the myth.

JazzMick
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I think its a myth. Why would you bother really? for one, that slight webbing stretches like any skin or muscle, and will stretch to the point of no return. That point being the point your fingers break because the bones and nuckle literally cant bend any further.

So if anyone has actually gone to the trouble of having surgery. I argue that they were wasting their time.