PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Guitar Recommendations

Leviathon
05-08-2003, 05:42 PM
OK guys, right now I am playing learning a Squire Strat. For right now it seems to be doing the job. My first question would be, especially for anyone who owns or owned a Squire Strat.

1. What can I do to improve the guitar? I would like to get some new strings, but what kind can I get and what would you recommend for a noob. Other than different strings, what else is there for me too do. With out replacing the pick ups and all that jazz.

2. Shopping Music123.com I see 100's of guitars, and I guess choosing a 2nd guitar would be personal preference. So my question would be what would be a great 2nd guitar when the time comes around. Granted when the time comes around I would hoped to be versed in a few styles from blues to rock. Looking for some ideas from some experienced players.

Thanks again guys.

Playmystrat
05-08-2003, 10:46 PM
I would recommend ditching the squire and just looking for a better guitar. The squire series is really not that good, and thers not much you can do to it to make it play or sound better. You can get a solid fender strat or other comparable kind of guitar for around 300-400 bucks that will be much better quality, and then you can always change the pickups later on to make it sound even better.

szulc
05-08-2003, 11:37 PM
I have been to a shop near Nashville where they sell Aria Strat Clones. The ones I have played there are better than most strats I have played. They are solid wood and are around 200$. I was amazed at how good these things play and sound. I am told they are made by Samick (as are Squire Strats). I was embarassed to admit they play and sound better than my Strat. Other than the Head stock being a different shape and Saying 'Aria' they are virtually identical to Old Fender strats. If I was to buy another strat type this is what I would get.

Danster
05-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Dang man, you've been playing for two weeks and you're already looking for a second guitar?!?!?

OK guys, right now I am playing learning a Squire Strat. For right now it seems to be doing the job. My first question would be, especially for anyone who owns or owned a Squire Strat.

1. What can I do to improve the guitar? I would like to get some new strings, but what kind can I get and what would you recommend for a noob. Other than different strings, what else is there for me too do. With out replacing the pick ups and all that jazz.Well, what is it that you find deficient about the guitar that makes you want to upgrade it? Is the tone not right, or what? Regarding strings, most electric players use .010-046 strings. That's probably a good string gauge for a "noob" with a cheap guitar. Some folks say heavier strings will give a better tone, but heavier strings are harder to play on too.

2. Shopping Music123.com I see 100's of guitars, and I guess choosing a 2nd guitar would be personal preference. So my question would be what would be a great 2nd guitar when the time comes around. Granted when the time comes around I would hoped to be versed in a few styles from blues to rock. Looking for some ideas from some experienced players.
Well, I don't really call myself an experienced player (2 years and counting), but if I were you, I'd wait until I got more experience before buying another guitar (unless money isn't an issue for you). For me, important things to consider are:
-hardtail vs. whammy. I think there's a million things to learn before you start worrying about a whammy bar, so I would avoid that for now. Tuning is more troublesome on a whammy-equipped guitar, as is changing strings, and droning strings go outta tune when you bend another string.
-shape of neck, and fret size. Yer likely only to find your preferences here after you have played quite a while.
-what kinda pickups give a sound you like? I generally prefer humbuckers, but there is still no specific pickup I could identify by its sound

If you're dead set on buying another pretty soon, and money matters, you might consider buying a used guitar as opposed to plopping down a lot of dough on a guitar you decide you don't like. Good luck!

Bongo Boy
05-10-2003, 03:01 AM
I'd buy that Ibanez JS2000 then have it painted desert cammie 'cause I think it really looks cool. I could give a hoot how it sounds.