PDA

View Full Version : Sweeps

szulc
06-22-2002, 03:03 PM
Following is my contribution to the study of sweeping.

The chord change is Am E7 (E7-9).
The way I have this tabbed ( and the way I play it) there is only 1 sweep past two strings.( the first one on the second stanza)
So technically I don't know whether to call this sweeping or economy picking.

szulc
06-27-2002, 12:11 PM
The first two measures are using octave type arpeggios, two string patterns that repeat in octaves picked DDU over the i iv V chord change, The Last two measures is alternating between top three string (EGB) ascending inversions of Am arpeggios and descending inversions of the Dim7 (here replacing E7 giving E7b9 with no root) G# Dim7 = B Dim7 = D Dim7 = F Dim7 since these are all inversion of one another, this is in a Cadenza form. (i V i V)
I would consider this in the 'NeoClassical' vein. The picking is tricky on the Cadenza part, but can give some insight to econmy picking with mini sweeps and HO PO combinations.

nickwellings
06-27-2002, 10:02 PM
Those are very nice licks, and for my, slightly tricky in places!

Personally, I would call that economy picked...?

I don't know what the other guys think.

EricV
06-28-2002, 05:50 PM
Yeah, itīs some kind of economy picking, something like "mini-sweeps"... cool licks !
Warm regards
Eric

szulc
07-03-2002, 12:46 PM
So far I havn't completly figured out how to show a proper hammer on in Power Tab and I have yet to be able to save to .bmp so forgive me , here is another little lick with some ho po taps and minisweep.

EricV
07-03-2002, 01:03 PM
Hi...

what do you mean about hammer onīs in power tab ?
I mean, maybe I can help you with that, Iīve been using the prog for a while now.
Usually, you do it with the "h" key... like, if you have two notes:

-10---14---

Move the cursor ( the blue one ) over the "10" and press "h". The prog now "looks" at the note and the following one. If the following one is higher, the program puts in a "hammer", if it is lower, it puts in a "pull off"...

szulc
07-03-2002, 01:21 PM
Thanks I'll try it

EricV
07-03-2002, 01:57 PM
One more thing about Powertab:
If you have plenty of space left in a staff ( like in your first sweep-example, first staff ), put your cursor into t and press "j" ( as in "justify" ).
The program will evenly distribute the notes, thereby filling the staff and leaving no big gaps. Works great.
Warm regards
Eric

szulc
07-04-2002, 12:56 AM
Did you like the Lick?

EricV
07-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Yes, I did. Just like I did like the others. Always have a guitar handy next to my computer =)
I really liked the one that combined sweeping and e.p.
Warm regards
Eric

szulc
01-02-2003, 12:43 AM
I resurrected this jus tto see if any one new would read it and reply this time.

Bizarro
01-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Wow, I hadn't seen this one before. There's some neat ideas there.

For the economy arpeggio lick in the second example, I would never use economy picking for that! (I'm a *natural* economy picker) I would start the phrase on an upstroke on the D. For the F# on the high E string, I would hammer that instead of picking it so I could tap the A quicker.

I think most economy pickers prefer "inside" picking. If that lick is started with an upstroke, then the first two notes are "inside" and the 3rd and 4th notes are also "inside" with a string skip.

As an e.p., that's how I'd do it... YMMV;)

szulc
08-08-2003, 01:57 AM
Shred Thread Sweeps