PDA

View Full Version : Exams

Koala
05-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Im guessing itīd be pretty cool to have an exam section on the website. Just short exams on different topics to see what we realy know and understand, and what we need to learn or review.
But then again thatīs just me.

EricV
05-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Hmmm... interesting idea. If I remember correctly, there was something similar at Guitar4U... like a test to fill out, which was then sent to Guni...

Guni, could ya elaborate ? I donīt remember correctly, I also never did one of those tests, I chickened out :)

Eric

Guni
05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
ouch - someone again stepping on my toes :D - reminding me of one thing that I have to get together. :rolleyes:

Yes, Guitar4u offered such tests. These were simple forms visitors filled out and I received a copy by mail. I personally checked every single one, gave comments, etc .... now, as you can imagine that kept me quite busy and today I couldn't keep up with this anymore.

That's why the idea is to create dynamic tests, which run on their own .... as you might know I am still working on the 'Interval Trainer' for eartraining - I have a few technical issues with this one and I am still searching for a better and more efficient solution.... I'm currently running a local beta version of this 'tool' but I am not sure when it will finally be released.

Ok, I gotta say that this interval trainer is a lot trickier then say a harmony test. Maybe I should scrap the interval trainer for now and focus on different tests to collect some feedback and get an idea about the overall demand?

Koala
05-07-2003, 03:24 AM
Iīm not too sure Eric but if i remember correct i chickened out as well at G4U. ANd i might chicken out again, but i just thought it might be a good idea...hehehehe, I just love this "itīs all so clear" feeling, and the tests just might be the quickest way back to chain smoking , and lack of self esteem hehe, just kidding. =)

Seriously I think itd be pretty cool to have it back up, but it would sure be a lot of work. Maybe we could all contribute with test previews to save Guni some time?Would that help?I dunno.

Guni íīve got to say the interval trainer sounds great, as does the exam section. But i canīt say which one iīd like to se first.

Actually you guys shouldnt even listen to me, you run THE music website, i have a hell of a lot to study, and i still have the OO to ask for somethin new? Cīmon.....

OH yah, sorry bout steppin on them toes Guni... :)

Anyways, thats just me...

Koala
05-13-2003, 04:36 AM
:) Im guessing not everyone liked the idea ....lol

Guni
05-13-2003, 01:23 PM
haha - LOL

Well, exams sounds a bit harsh I guess ..... and it's hard to talk about something without having a clear picture.

I'll keep going with this anyway - once we have something integrated into the site we will for sure get more feedback and a better idea of what people are looking for (well, if at all :D) ...

but here we go:

test test test !!!!

name the intervals:

1) perfect fifth from a:

2) diminished 5th from ab:

3) major 7th from d

spell out these triads:

4) Dm:

5) G+:

6) Bb:

7) write out the harmonic minor scale starting on the note d:

PS: anyone not getting at least 4 out of 7 will instantly lose his/her ibreathemusic membership :D ........... JUST KIDDIN'

Greg
05-13-2003, 02:39 PM
I'm not gonna try, 'cause I like my membership here... ;)
I think it would be nice to have like a quiz (I'm right with you Guni about the word "exam"...) to check out your knowledge about theory etc, and if you get the wrong answer you get links to articles that will clear things up for you.

Michel
05-13-2003, 07:02 PM
Bonjour Koala
D'ont chicken out this time
This exam is for you ;)

B'Bye ..Michel
BTW: I don't want to stress you but tousand of people world wide
is waiting for your answers:D

EricV
05-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Hmmm... cool. You know, someone recently posted that he took a lesson with a guitar teacher, and the teacher gave him a sheet of paper with some questions to figure out how much theory the student knew.
This is cool. I do the same, but I donīt use such a "test", I do it by asking questions.
You know, the thing is, since this "exam" is posted at the board, you have some advantages: you can re-read some of Guniīs articles, and you can pick up your guitar as a reference to answer some of those.
So such an exam is perfect to tell you what you should look into, what you should focus on.

If you have trouble answering questions 1-3, you should read Guniīs article about intervals, and maybe practise using intervals on your guitar.

If you have trouble answering 4-6, you should reread the chord scales articles and practise making up chords from a scale.

So... be honest, donīt cheat, use this exam to figure out what needs work.

ALLOW ME TO ADD A FEW QUESTIONS ( Guni, do ya mind ? )

Spell out the following scales...

8) E Major

9) G Minor

10) F Lydian

Write down these chord scales ( major and minor triads, example: D Maj - A Min- BMin etc. )

11 ) G Maj

12 ) B Minor

And: WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE FRETBOARD OF YOUR GUITAR:

On a regulary tuned guitar, what note is located at:

13) 3rd Fret, A-String

14 ) 13th fret, E String ( If you ask "Which one of the E-Strings ?", your membership will immediately be cancelled ... j/k )

What fret can you find the following notes at:

15. E on the A-String

16. F# on the D-string

On what string can you find...

17. ...the note Bb at the 3rd fret

18. The note Ab at the 13th fret

Hope it isnīt much
Warm regards
Eric

CaptainCarma
05-13-2003, 10:19 PM
this, in my opinion, is how it could work.

letīs just do those "exams" here in the forum.
letīs just test each others.

post your tests right here in the forum.

i.e. I post a few questions relating to a specific topic I do feel comfortable with and give you the chance to answer them via e-mail. think you get the idea...

this is how it could work, without one person being forced ( for example guni ) to answer to a thousands of mails.

what do you think about this idea?

Marc

Koala
05-14-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Guni
PS: anyone not getting at least 4 out of 7 will instantly lose his/her ibreathemusic membership :D ........... JUST KIDDIN'

Lol Guni, glad youīre kidding or else thereīd definitely be a price on my head soon lol.

I promise Iīll stay away from the word exam and stick to the less threatening quiz hehehe :)

Oh Michel you sure Iīve got to post my answers on here? Itīs not like i want to disappoint a thound people....i just donīt know the answers.......just kiddinī lol.

Im thinking this will help us all out, but again thatīs just me.

Koala
05-14-2003, 04:33 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EricV
[B]14 ) 13th fret, E String ( If you ask "Which one of the E-Strings ?", your membership will immediately be cancelled ... j/k )

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Koala
05-14-2003, 04:39 AM
I just canīt seem to get everything into a single post huh? hehe

GUni, remember you mentioned maybe having "QUIZES" hehe online that would correct themselves?

Maybe, just to keep it simple a single test regarding St. Guniīs Theory Bible (intervals, triads, 7ths, chord scales 1-3) posted somewhere would be enough. (oh yah please include the answers, or else i have a feeling anything i write down will be correct hehehe)

Ok, I think thats all i have to say for now. But then again ill probablly be posting in 2 minutes again.

Greg
05-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by EricV
If you have trouble answering questions 1-3, you should read Guniīs article about intervals, and maybe practise using intervals on your guitar.

If you have trouble answering 4-6, you should reread the chord scales articles and practise making up chords from a scale.
Maybe once every three months or something like that one could post a quiz in the forum and then add links at the end like Eric suggested. I mean, it's a quiz to figure out what you need to work on to expand your knowledge, so it doesn't have to be so formal, just a simple post like the ones on this thread, with the links at the end. I think it would be nice... How about you guys?

Greg
05-14-2003, 09:56 AM
...and it doesn't need to be all about theory, one question could be a powertab file of a run in c-major, followed by the text: "how would Greg Howe play this line?" ;)

Michel
05-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Oh Michel you sure Iīve got to post my answers on here?
Bonjour Koala
NO i was kidding you;) In the real life of a" musicien "What would you do whit a G+ ??????????? SKIP IT:D

B'Bye...Michel

EricV
05-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Some really good suggestions, but... has anyone tried to do the quiz yet ? I havenīt seen any replies yet :)
Eric

Koala
05-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Well, since i was the one who had to open his big mouth and ask for it I took it. But seriously, i think it would just mess it all up if i posted them on here wouldnīt it?

metaljustice83
06-01-2003, 04:12 PM
this topic is very interesting, I know more about theory than I thought, but not as much as I need to

Wyll_Watts
06-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Somehow I missed this thread until just now..
Lot's of cool ideas flying around here..
I think some automated form or multiple choice style quizes that focus on certain areas of basic theory would be cool and help identify areas for inprovement in one's knowledge. A quiz that selects its questions randomly from a database of possible questions would be cool, a different quiz every time. Some of my old professors used to make logic and math quizes like that.

The message boards would be a great place for tests that don't have just one answer to a question. In other words, it wouldn't be a test so much as problem solving. For example, you show a diagram or powertab file of a difficult lick and the person taking the test should identify what mechanics are being tested in the lick and give possible procedures for solving the mechanical problems such as exercises using similar movements etc.. That way eveyone can learn from the answers of others..

Well that's just my random musings..

and here are answers to the questions posted by Guni and Eric since everyone chickened out.. just kidding.. I'm sure I typed something wrong.. :D
1) perfect fifth from a: E

2) diminished 5th from ab: D

3) major 7th from d: C#

spell out these triads:

4) Dm: D-F-A

5) G+: G-B-D#

6) Bb: Bb-D-F

7) write out the harmonic minor scale starting on the note d: D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C#

Spell out the following scales...
8) E Major: E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#

9) G Minor: G-A-Bb-C-D-Eb-G

10) F Lydian: F-G-A-B-C-D-E

Write down these chord scales ( major and minor triads, example: D Maj - A Min- BMin etc. )

11 ) G Maj: Gmaj-Am-Bm-Cmaj-Dmaj-Em-F#dim

12 ) B Minor: Bm-C#dim-Dmaj-Em-F#m-Gmaj-Amaj

On a regulary tuned guitar, what note is located at:

13) 3rd Fret, A-String: C

14 ) 13th fret, E String: F

What fret can you find the following notes at:

15. E on the A-String: 7th and 19th

16. F# on the D-string: 4th and 16th

On what string can you find...

17. ...the note Bb at the 3rd fret: G string

18. The note Ab at the 13th fret: G string

Later,
Wyll

Wyll_Watts
06-02-2003, 03:17 AM
I DID type something wrong... I knew it! lol!

question 9) should be
G minor scale: G-A-Bb-C-D-Eb-F

Feeling Stupid Already,
Wyll

The Bash
06-02-2003, 05:52 AM
Actually number 2 should be Ebb (double flat)
but very good :)

Wyll_Watts
06-02-2003, 02:49 PM
yep, the Ebb, but I really don't like double flat and double sharp notation so I tend to avoid it. It's one of the reasones I've been gradually switching over to Set Theory using 0-11 instead of note names..

Thanks,
Wyll