PDA

View Full Version : Robert Fripp & The league of crafty guitarists

Oceano
05-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Just wondering if any of you are into Robert Fripp at all.
I love the stuff he does with "The league of crafty guitarists". All those patterns going up and down, and interchanging with one another, it creates such beautiful and cool guitar soundscapes.

I do admit that his approach to guitar playing is a little too "rigid", or as I say it sometimes, too "mathematical" for me, but I still like some of his stuff a lot.

Cuno
08-15-2003, 08:23 PM
'Tis be the night for digging up dead threads ;)

Yeah, I'm totally into Fripp. Or at least used to be, the early KC stuff is just so beautiful - In The Court Of The Crimson King, Red, USA....i remember the feeling when i first listened to red, not much compares, maybe the first time i heard Rush. And then the 80's KC with Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Bill Bruford and the minimalism. Again totally unique new music that really got to me. I'm not sure what to think of the 90's version of KC though, sometimes it's good, sometimes a bit boring, maybe too weird even for my taste ;)

I love the stuff he did with Andy Summers too, especially the first lp (I Advance Masked). And among his solo records, Exposure is one of my all time favourites, it always returns to the old vinyl player. At the same time as exposure (during his new york years) he produced (among others) Peter Gabrielīs second record - the one where he scrathes the cover - , and that too is such a great record. Perfect for contemplation or reading.

Did you hear the record he did with Toya, his wife - The Lady or the Tiger? She reads a smart bedtime story, and he plays smooth frippertronics in the background. Good for when youīre home alone and wanna feel cozy, or if you're tired of ordinary records. The two of them also had a group, with Jerry Marotta(dr) and Trey Gunn (stick-a-like, later to join KC), called Sunday All Over The World. Even my brother likes that record ! :) The opening guitar riff on the first song of that record is the most challenging string skipping i've come across - Fripp has a great right hand technique. He uses only a big triangular pick of some hard rubber material (so i've read), and when the factory stopped producing them, he bought the whole stock! All crafty guitarists must use them! :) Probably real scary to get used to. Maybe he's eased up on that demand, the stock must be getting exhausted from all students and touring...

Upon attending a level of guitar craft where you get tutored by Mr Fripp himself, he listens to your playing, and then assigns you a simple thing that you should master before you're ready for the next step. Apparently he is very good at choosing something that seems simple, but is almost impossible to play. A lot of the times the students starts to cry(!). Attending one of his courses is probably a very ground-shaking experience. He works hard on breaking down old habits - even in KC he strongly suggest that every member only plays what he have not played before(!). Another thing one must adhere to at the courses is the New Standard Tuning (NST), and according to himself it's no good just to use the NST, you must take the course to fully understand it. He's very strict, almost mechanical it seems sometimes, but i think this is just something that comes from his total devotion to the music - he refuses to do anything but his best. Sometimes accused of being hard to work with or just to be with, i still think heīs a really decent guy with good moral values. Yeah, heīs one of my heroes alright!

Cuno
08-16-2003, 12:53 AM
Notes:
The League Of Crafty Guitarists is the name of all classes formed at guitar craft, at least the classes that get released on cd. I have two records of 'that group' with totally different players. Both are great though, every member is playing his or hers assigned part, and it all fits together into a complex, strong and beautiful musical landscape. One group that formed after attending guitar craft course is the california guitar trio. As the name boldly suggest, they take on the task of carrying forward the flag of ye olde guitar trio (McLaughlin, Lucia, Meola). I donīt know if it is intentional, but they certainly have the skill to do so.

Reference:
Guitar Craft (http://www.guitarcraft.com/)
California Guitar Trio (http://www.cgtrio.com/)
King Crimson (http://www.king-crimson.com/)

Cuno
09-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Here is an example of Fripp stuff. It's excerpts from song 'Sunday All Over The World' from the record 'Kneeling at the Shrine" by the group "Sunday All Over The World" (pheew).
I find the intro part very hard to play up to speed. Some serious string skippin for ya! :)

Oceano
09-04-2003, 01:07 PM
I din't even remember this thread anymore.

Thanks for the extra info that I wasn't aware of.
I have one of the LCG cd's that I love.
I like most of Fripp's stuff, except for his soundscape stuff, which just developes so slow that it's kind of hard to listen too.

Cuno
09-04-2003, 01:40 PM
I was in verbose mode when i wrote those posts :) Too bad there seems to be little interest for stuff other than shred guitar here, not that i dislike all shred ;) I was delighted to see your post, hence the lenghty replies...

I agree with your soundscapes opinon, it can be a nice change on the records where he uses it along other stuff, but a whole record of just one thing can be a bit much. It's his Eno heritage speaking, i guess

Oceano
09-04-2003, 02:34 PM
I too love some shred stuff, at least once in a while.
However, there is so much more to guitar playing, that if you only listen to any one type of music, you end up missing so much.

Wizbit81
09-04-2003, 08:09 PM
I think it's a shame that no guitar craft things go on in England. I would have loved to be part of something like that but Europe has only one I think, and thats in Italy or something.