PDA

View Full Version : finger tone in piano playing?

Jeansen
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
i've read Eric V's article:" quest for tone"(great article!) ...and he teach us about "fingers" tone on guitar...now, i am wondering, is there such thing called "fingers" tone in piano playing? how?thx u

The Doc
07-18-2007, 06:46 AM
I've never heard of such thing in regards to piano. You strike the key, the hammer hits the string, and it produces a tone. The only thing that really can be altered is volume and duration.

Jeansen
07-18-2007, 10:05 AM
thx u for replying The Doc:thx for the info ..btw,what is "duration"?
thx u

Kinoble
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey jeanson,

'Duration' simply means how long something lasts for.

In this case, how long a note lasts for.

-ben

Channi
07-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I lack the necessary vocabulary completely (never read about this in English), but my teacher spent a lot of time talking about tone and I spent many, many hours over years working on it. A piano is not a typewriter - listen to many good an not so good players!
It is more prominent in classical music and it only works on a "real" piano, not a digital one (well, they are getting better, but there is still a big difference).
To explain how to do it IŽll need a lot of time thinking about it (and a good dictionary) - maybe someone else could help?

The Doc
07-19-2007, 06:53 AM
I agree, the piano isn't a typewriter. However, you cannot deny the physics of the instrument. I've been playing it for 14 years. I understand the illusion that is created when playing well. However, it is still a hammer hitting a string.

Jeansen
07-26-2007, 07:24 AM
hi..thx u for the answers,friends.. :)
Kinoble: thx u for the explanation about duration..i know about it now...:p

Channi and The Doc: actually, this argument is the one that making me asked this question...

because..., i do notice that there is something different when my 2 friends playing in the same piano...What i mean is this ,someday i watched and heard carefully to a friend of mine playing a song in a piano...and then come another friend of mine played the same song in a same piano..i have noticed that there was a difference between them..sometimes ,i even can recognize who is playing by just listening ,without seeing who is playing...

so.what do you think about this?
doesn't it what we called "finger tone?"

btw, for info, they are great pianist, (have a lot of great skill and techniques too)
thx u :)